The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't like to see Australians celebrate but I do like to see some top shithousery so I'm conflicted this afternoon. India had one bad game in the tournament and unfortunately it was the final. Australia bowled well and fielded better. India with a glimmer hope after 3 quick wickets but Travis Head ground them into the dirt. 

Something needs to be done to shorten the tournament though. Two games per day would help for a start. Why they can't have groups like the football with 4 teams and have quarter finals as well as semi finals is beyond me, more games with actual consequences would make it more entertaining. 

I'm just glad there's not a test cricket world cup. That'd be a difficult one to schedule and watch. 

54 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm just glad there's not a test cricket world cup. That'd be a difficult one to schedule and watch. 

There is....

The Test Cricket World Championship

Plays over a 2 year period (latest was 2021-23) Australia beat India...again at The Oval just before the Ashes

Travis Head player of the match in that game as well

India lost to New Zealand in 2021 in the previous final as well

The format is a bit awkward but each team plays 6 tests that count towards it, with a points weighted system depending on number of matches in the series.

The 2023-25 tournament started with the Ashes this summer with the Final at Lords I believe it is (but maybe wrong) in 2025 

• Paid Members

Ah, ok. I knew there were test rankings and the likes, but I didn't realise there was anything like that. 

Every day's a school day. 

• Paid Members

An awful tournament redeemed only slightly by India losing at home which was objectively hilarious even if it had to be against Australia. As Lion said, the format was gash and it felt like there was about 2 weeks of pointless matches at the end of the group stage. Lack of close matches hurt enormously too.

Edited by Gus Mears

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So they've announced the test squad for India today and they've picked the off spinner Shoaib Bashir of Somerset. Haa anyone seen him play? 

I hadn't even heard of him! Surprised they didn't take Jack Carson, he seemed to be next in line. And what's happened to Dom Bess?

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Bess seems to be out of favour. They seem to want to pick younger and younger spinners at the moment. Rehman is in the squad as well as Leach and Tom Hartley. Obviously it's India, you can't have enough spinners. 

I thought Bess did quite well for England when he was slung in, never let them down. Now I don't even remember when I heard about him on the county circuit, Seemed like there was a really good bowling all-rounder there.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I thought Bess did quite well for England when he was slung in, never let them down. Now I don't even remember when I heard about him on the county circuit, Seemed like there was a really good bowling all-rounder there.

Looks to have lost all form after moving to Yorkshire, not sure he's even in their first choice XI anymore - they brought in Dan Moriarty from Surrey on loan last year who they've signed permanently now and sent Bess out on loan to Warwickshire and Somerset 

• Paid Members

I watched Bess a lot when I was a Somerset member and he was fine when we had spinning decks but went to shit after we got out points deduction and went back to flatter tracks. Hasn't got the accuracy of a Leach to hold down an end or the variation or revs of a leggy or Mo to be a consistent wicket taker. Saying that, he could get ten-for on the dogshit wickets we're likely to get in this series.