The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

Finally, real cricket.

I’m not even playing for Sunday XI this season, but are having an inter village informal knockout on the village green one Saturday in July, I forget which. they used to have a drop in wicket but it’s gone now so we’re going to pretend it’s still there.

Four pubs, batsman retiring after fifty scored to get through it. Everything from Minor Counties players to people we have to bowl pies to (watch me get knocked for 36 as I’ve been told I can’t bowl medium pace or leg breaks to the non players and one will have me) Not limited overs, but some of the standard will put paid to that anyway.

Everyone is expect to have a bat and an over during the day though, and the umpiring is traditionally like a handicap on the horse racing. A social but experienced player like myself will be sent to to the drum of beer if it’s goes to the keeper through a missed shot, and I darent let the ball hit me on the pads at any point. Back to the pavilion for those. The people who still play at a decent level have to do well not to be given out for anything, and the casual lads in the shorts are never fucking given LB, and also no balls are given a lot with they’re under the cosh. (So basically it’s like when the opposition 2nds brings in a 12 year old towards the end of the innings and then he proceeds to mug you off over the boundary several times in an over as the umpire, who’s his dad it normally transpires, tells you anything with a bit of pace will be called a No Ball)

but I’ll be a great day out. A forty gallon drum on cans and a marvellous time to be had by all. I’ll update closer to it. 

Edited by Butch2000

Well, we keep losing.

We're two games away from the halfway point of the season, and we have one league win to our name. Somehow we're 3rd bottom and out of the relegation zone.

Saturday saw us restrict the League Favs to 204, but we shat the bed and finished with 199. Their overseas player got 64 and looked class. I've since found out he played in a Ranji Trophy winning side captained by Mr Rahane a few months ago.

Yesterday we travelled to Joe Root's Sheffield Collegiate in a cup quarter final. Root sadly was not playing. We got 171 which was about 200 runs short on an absolute road of a wicket at Abbeydale - they knocked off for 4 with 10 overs left of the 40.

I'm depressed.

• Paid Members

Someone who I've umpired quite a bit plays for Sheffield Collegiate firsts now Max. Moving up there to play was the best thing for him as it got him away from playing in the same team as his dad who I will charitably call a "Character" At our club dinner a few years ago all the tables were named after what was described as "Lincolnshire Cricket Personalities" and I was at the table named after the above mentioned character, so to really honour him I put everyone else on the table on a Level 1 report. 

I’m trying to work out how to break it to Mrs Loki that I’ll be listening to the radio all weekend.  It gets a bit contentious when we’re walking round the garden centre and I’ve got Sports Extra playing quietly on my phone.

I’ve been enjoying the women’s Ashes the last few years as well - it’s all the same on the radio!

• Paid Members

Went down to our local club a couple of weeks back to watch their seconds bowling against the local Sri Lankans club. Not saying it was uncompetitive, but one over had six full tosses, one six cleared the boundary, the field, a hedge and a road to land in someone's garden, another six cleared the fence of a nearby tennis club and nearly took out a player, and the second wicket partnership was 341. 

• Paid Members

Lively old day at Edgbaston overshadowing an insane day for England womens warm-up matches (three day, two-innings matches.) The reserves are on 562/9 against the Australia first 11, while the England first team closed the day at 611/7 against Australia reserves. Heather Knight's 72 was somehow the 5th highest score of the innings so far, Tammy Beaumont got 201 and then retired out (which has only happened twice in test matches -- don't know how often it's happened in international friendlies) and the 611 and counting appears to be the third highest score ever by a female team at any level, international or domestic, in a recorded game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 6/16/2023 at 11:08 PM, JNLister said:

Tammy Beaumont got 201 and then retired out 

And yesterday she got a massive 208 (a womens record for England)! She's somehow related to my inlaws, so that side of the familys WhatsApp has been full of cricket talk all day.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

What. A. Morning?!

This is bringing England fans and players together and Australia must be thinking 'what have we done here?' I'd hope there's a few of them in the safety of their dressing room saying 'it counts, but it's not right lads'.

Gloves off now for the rest of the series!

• 3 weeks later...

It's never the best time to do this, after it's affected us so badly, but the whole ruleset around weather and cricket in this country needs an overhaul.

We start at 11 - meaning often you've missed a couple of good sunny hours in the morning.  We finish at 6.30, meaning you can lose another 2 hours of sunshine at the end of the day.

Given we have fairly accurate weather forecasting nowadays it's more than possible to look at a 5 day Test and say "right, we're likely to lose a whole day here to rain, let's play another 20 overs for the first 3 days".

In this particular instance losing 1 1/2 days meant the Test was probably unsalvageable but there's surely an argument for making start/end times and overs in a day more flexible and getting more cricket in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Absolute genius strategy by Gloucestershire:

Step 1) Be shit for the best part of two years while your big rivals win the T20 cup and contend for the County Championship.

Step 2) Have only two squad members signed for the Hundred while your big rivals lose 9 of their First XI.

Step 3) Play your rivals in the One Day Cup:

Screenshot_15.png

2nd biggest team score and 3rd highest individual score in a one-day county game. 7th biggest team and 11th biggest individual in list A (ie professional level and international) one-days.

And yeah, of course I didn't bother going.

Edited by JNLister