The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

They also handed out a lot of prizes at the end of the game. Had the feel of a kids sports day where everyone gets a prize. Also I don't know how much 1 Lakh is worth. Can anyone help me?

A lakh is 100k, so just under £950 if you're converting from rupees. Confusingly, in Indian maths they put the commas in different places from what we're used to over here. 

And yeah, imagine not liking test cricket. Still the definitive form of the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Poor old Jack Leach and his brittle body. Out of the rest of the series. Mind you, no Kohli for themselves like a fair swap. I hope they are both OK though, Jack and his knee and whatever Virat's problem is as you would sooner sew them both on the pitch. 

• Paid Members

Surprised England haven't called for a replacement spinner. There must be someone on the county circuit who's only bowled 35 overs in their career but suddenly looks realy handy under the Stokes/McCullum leadership.

• Paid Members

Possibly of interest, though I suspect there won't be too much new for readers of this thread: I started a site called cricketquestions.com which aims to explain tactics/concepts/rules, mainly for people who know the basics of cricket but want to understand more. (It's primarily a project for me to practice the SEO and technical side of creating a site that can eventually generate some ad income without too much maintenance.)

• Paid Members

Costly drop by Root today, but if anyone is in credit I'd say he is. The BBC live text service was a little more ruthless where someone had texted in that Root wasn't as good a fielder as Will Jacks, or as good a bowler, or as good a batsman. That opinion didn't find much agreement from the other readers. 

• Paid Members

500 Test wickets for Ashwin is one hell of a career. He needs to sort his sideburns out though, looks like the fur on a scabby dog. Duckett's bazball assault was remarkable. India must be thinking 445 was a bit short on first innings. Until Jasprit takes 5 in the first hour tomorrow obviously. 

• Paid Members

Quite amused by the fact that Pietersen pissed off from commentary as soon as Swann showed up. The only way either of them would be interesting if they both brained each other with microphones while Ravi Shastri commentates BCCI propaganda over it.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Ashwin is out of the rest of the test due to a family emergency. I hope everything is OK for him. 

Agreed. Also, how fucking stupid is it that they can't call up a substitute.

It's nuts.

He should have headbutted the ball or something on his way off.

In other news, the South African side currently playing in New Zealand is a shambles. They're just fat lads on a social tour by the looks. A 37 year old leg spinner making his test debut who's built like a prop forward. I'm 41 and have 3 First Class wickets to my name and I think I should be looking into moving over there and qualifying. Tahir is still playing and he's about 60.