The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Moderators
Just now, ElCece said:

Deep down though I'm a YJB apologist and would still lean in that direction.

YJB is my new Graeme Hick. He's got technical flaws but he's so fucking talented. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

YJB is my new Graeme Hick. He's got technical flaws but he's so fucking talented.

England need to view him as a generational talent particuarly in white ball cricket. He hits disgustinly flat 6's and runs as quick between the wickets as you could hope.

Edited by ElCece

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

To be honest, I think the problem was with Stokes choosing to bat first. Absolutely nuts considering the West Indies batting line-up and the overcast conditions. 

As I said yesterday. More proof that Cook was a poor captain. Nah, he was good. Dreading the return of Root as captain though. Have we a player with decent captaincy IQ? I'm not asking for as much as Brearley or Hussain, Vaughan or Athers. Just someone with a bit of nous. 

In the summer of 4 captains we had four better captains than Root or anyone else at the moment. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

YJB is a test match number 7. Foakes is a test match number 7. Buttler isn't. Foakes should be playing as he is the best keeper by a long way. 

It amazes me how YJB is with the reserves waiting for the ODIs. I know YJB hates not having the gloves,  and a lot of it is the understandable father issue, but he'd lord it at 3. If he can stop getting bowled through the gate I feel he is the best batsman available. Especially as when he gets shit off media, he gets all Yorkshire Grit and destroys attacks. But does it make him a luxury player? 

Buttler should be in the odi lot. Foakes behind the stumps, YJB at first drop and Denly playing Lancashire league. 

And also I love luxury players. Fuck the nWo, it's Wayne Larkins 4-life.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I really wish England could stumble upon someone else capable of captaining the team. I've never liked the idea of simply making your best player the skipper. Root was up there as one of the best 3 batsmen in the world before the pressure of the captaincy came along, but now you can see he looks jaded every time he comes out to bat now. I thought the same about Stokes yesterday too. There was a few flashes of the classic Stokes batting, but you could see the additional pressure.

The majority of the batting line up if fucked though. I can't remember the last time our batsmen looked so "transitional", 

• Paid Members

That is part of the problem thay Root and Cook had (although I still think Cook was a decent Captain) was no time captaining there county as they have always been in the team. 

Burns could be capable, beyond Stokes and  who is established in the team without retirement looming? 

Fuck it brings back Nasser and bat him at 9. Always been my favourite captain.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ElCece said:

That is part of the problem thay Root and Cook had (although I still think Cook was a decent Captain) was no time captaining there county as they have always been in the team. 

Burns could be capable, beyond Stokes and  who is established in the team without retirement looming? 

Fuck it brings back Nasser and bat him at 9. Always been my favourite captain.

It's been one of the few downsides to central contracts. While they help the bowlers by managing their workloads, most of the top batsmen will only play a few times a season for their county so they very rarely get the opportunity to become a full time captain.

• Paid Members

Me and Butch were talking about him on Twitter last night, but here's forgotten English fast bowler Duncan Spencer scaring the shit out of none other than Viv Richards. How fast does this spell look?

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just one of a legion of fast bowlers this country ruined in the 90s. That would be some list to draw up.

I've just looked at the list of England Test players who made their debut in the 1990s. Obviously not all fast bowlers but there are 58 players on that list. 

Of the quicks, as I remember, Martin McCague was pretty sharp, as were Joey Benjamin and Craig White. So that's an Aussie, a West Indian, and someone brought up in Australia. 

• Paid Members

Michaels Atherton and Watkinson smashing Yorkshire all round Old Trafford in 1990 from a rare bit of ITV (or Granada / Yorkshire TV anyway) live cricket. With commentary from Fred Trueman, John Gwynne.... and Clive Tyldesley!