The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Atherton took over 100 first class wickets, which says so much about how terrible English cricket was at playing spin back then.

Considering he had a bad back from about 3 years of age it is remarkable he got that many. 

I do like batsmen having a bowl. Stewart with his 3 first class wickets at 148 somehow failed to get a test wicket. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

That's not a dropped catch. He has saved 6 runs there. The moment the ball or any part of him in contact with the ball touches the ground beyond the boundary it is 6. He could not complete the catch legally considering his first point of contact with the ball is with him beyond the boundary but in the air. The only way that could have been caught is if he had thrown it back to another fielder within the boundary without it touching the ground. You can't call that a dropped catch. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I've no idea how it would work but I'd love to see a "runs saved" fielding statistic introduced to cricket because technically that's a dropped catch!

Haven't watched baseball in a long time but sure they have something along those lines, and maybe cricket does and I'm just unaware of it. 

They displayed something at the back end of the world cup to that effect.  I remember Jadeja being comfortably the front runner despite almost exclusively being a sub only and it stuck with me. 

• Paid Members

What would class as a saved run, though? If a batsmen hits it directly to a man at mid off(who was put there by the captain), does that count as x runs saved(as it would have been runs if he wasn't there)? Or must the fielder have to move a certain distance for it to class as a saved run? If so, who would decide how many runs it would have gone for(assuming it wouldn't have made the boundary)? It's a good idea in theory, but putting it into action and getting consistency throughout the world would be a nightmare...

• 1 month later...