The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

They looked like club cricketers yesterday. Good bowling by India, the ball didn't do lots but England looked like they expected every ball to turn square. 

Nice bit of shithouse umpiring as well. Who needs all those replays to be absolutely sure. 1 look from not the best angle, not out, move on. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Proper club cricket stuff. Number 4 batsman takes 5-8! This is mental and could easily be over today if they keep on like this. 

Pitch is bloody awful, isn't it. It's not the turn but the uneven bounce. England were daft not to play two spinners in an Indian test, Root has bailed them out here.

• Paid Members

For a Test match pitch it is a disgrace. The selection of only 1 spinner is equally bad. In one of Simon Hughes books he talks about covering a Test where India picked 3 spinners, England picked 4 seamers and India won easily inside 4 days. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

For a Test match pitch it is a disgrace. The selection of only 1 spinner is equally bad. In one of Simon Hughes books he talks about covering a Test where India picked 3 spinners, England picked 4 seamers and India won easily inside 4 days. 

Yeah, the selection was proper 90s mindset of insisting seam is always the best bet no matter what the surface. Madness not to pick Bess, would have extended the batting too whoever he would have replaced.

• Paid Members

Well you might have suspected England would lose by 10 wickets after getting bowled out for 112 on day 1. You probably wouldn't have expected it to happen on day 2 though. That pitch was a disgrace and luckily the next Test is at the same ground so we get to do it all again. 

India will face no consequences for providing that pitch because the BCCI pretty much runs the ICC. 

• Paid Members

No match should finish it 2 days. 30 wickets in less than 6 sessions is is just taking the piss. I bet Channel 4 are delighted they have shelled out for this series...

I have no problems with a home side preparing pitches that suit them(I often criticise the ECB for not doing the same), but they have gone so far over the line with the last 2 tests that it's made a joke of the series. Whenever anyone brings the series up in years to come, they won't be talking about how the Indians played amazing to win, they will talk about the state of the pitch...

• Moderators

It's petty and unfair to moan about the pitch, as we do the same. You know what you're going to get wherever you play. It's hardly as unplayable as the day even Walsh and Ambrose said it wasn't fair, and India knocked the chase off at a fair clip.  If anything it showed great naivete playing that many quicks, two being medium fast bowlers, on the subcontinent hoping for cloud with the pink ball. When Root is taking 5/8 it shows lacking the second spinner. Also, we've no-one who can play spin. First Class (if it's even a thing these days) tends to produce result pictures over here which are green so no-one gets to play against spin. When I'm watching the game thinking "At least Keaton Jennings would look alright" something is wrong.

My issue is that I'm finally going to have to give up on YJB.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

My issue is that I'm finally going to have to give up on YJB.

It's a sad, sad day but I'm the same. Can't defend any of his recent performances...

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It's a sad, sad day but I'm the same. Can't defend any of his recent performances...

I just want his mobile number so I can call him a useless cunt on the phone before the next test so he knocks a century. It's the only time he plays these days when he's getting knocked by everyone. Moreover, I used to love him as a technically sound batsman, but you can bowl him underarm onto his stumps and he'd get himself out now. I know they sent him to Yorkshire to sort it out, but he scored a shitload and he was straight back in the squad as County seems to be pretty much fucked over the past few years, will be even worse this year. It's like when Harmison woulod be dire then go back to Durham and hit a few Gloucestershire and Sussex players on the head and would be back in the English XI before you could say Martin McCague. The County Championship standard has been shocking for a while now. But how does first class cricket move forward, or is the long game dead?

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

In Test cricket he is a wicketkeeper who should bat 7. The trouble is he isnt as good a keeper as Foakes or as good with the bat as Buttler. Opening in the 50 over game is his only real option for YJB with England now, and if they ever let Hales back in from the cold that place is in doubt as well. 

• Moderators

I still feel he's better than Buttler as a test match cricketer, but his head has to be in the right place (Feeling slighted). But for my money, I'd happily take Foakes all day. I'd rather a great wicket keeper who bats well, than a good batsman who's alright with the gloves.