The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

Did we try Roy there the other year just after the World Cup or was he batting at 3?

Tried him as opener and it didn't work because they made him try and play like a test batter instead of letting him thrash sixes.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Did we try Roy there the other year just after the World Cup or was he batting at 3?

I can't remember. He can't have had much of a go there even if he did. 

• Moderators

Warner is a bunny over here, true enough. On an overcast day on the first day at Old Trafford Roy would struggle but I think YJB might do OK. But I'd rather he had the gloves

Malan is back so he'll go to 3, Haseeb back to the top of the order. 

I'm trying to think of our last decent opening partnership. It's surely Strauss and Cook isn't it? That's gotta be 10 years ago. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 8/18/2021 at 11:25 PM, PowerButchi said:

Warner is a bunny over here, true enough. On an overcast day on the first day at Old Trafford Roy would struggle but I think YJB might do OK. But I'd rather he had the gloves

Malan is back so he'll go to 3, Haseeb back to the top of the order. 

I'm trying to think of our last decent opening partnership. It's surely Strauss and Cook isn't it? That's gotta be 10 years ago. 

I think you might be right about Cook and Strauss. We're paying the price for the ECB focusing everything on white ball cricket to win the World Cups(just like we were with the white ball teams when they were obsessed with getting to the top of the Test rankings). Even more now with this Hundred bollocks. I'm pretty sure we have the population, set up and heritage to do well in all the formats, if the ECB could get their fingers out of their arses.

I saw an article somewhere a while back suggesting that the way forward would be to relax the overseas player rule, and let 3 or 4 at once in the team. i think the thought was along the same lines as those that think the Premier League having so many imports has raised the quality of the English players. Not sure what I think of that though.

Easy to say with hindsight, but the team England picked today does look a lot stronger and better balanced - with bowlers who suit English conditions and can potentially score runs to cover the batting (but even the top order looks stronger with batsmen who've scored hundreds at international level in the shorter formats formats)

Crossed the border in to Somerset last night to watch the Quarter Finals of the T20 with my lad.

It was his first game of cricket and he couldn't have been less interested 😐

It was fantastic to be back in a ground though and the atmosphere was something that I've really missed, only having been to local Devon non-league football in the last 18months. From inside the (admittedly partisan) stadium Somerset absolutely hammered Lancashire as well although I have to confess, watching Livingstone smash the ball around for a few overs was something else.

I've arranged a work 'meeting' for my team in a couple of weeks for the England vs New Zealand Woman's T20 which should be good.

Just need to Bears to win tonight now  😁

Double cup winners, bollocks to Hoylandswaine! Last week's top of the league clash with them was rained off without a ball bowled, and the scheduled T20 final the following day was postponed to today. Scorecard here, they won the toss and for some reason put us in. Our opener, who defected to Hoylandswaine for last year's truncated season but came back home after a dispute over money, took his revenge by smashing 113 off 59 balls. They never looked like chasing down 200 to win, although their middle order bastman smashing 60 off 35 kept things interesting. A fine day's cricket, although my dislike of Hoylandswaine was slightly tempered by their player Max Morley (the winner of Love Island in 2015) buying me a drink after the match. Looks like they will probably win the league unless they come really unstuck in their last three matches, but we'll take a cup double over them plus a win in the only league match that got played betwen the teams.

spacer.png

Edited by Tamura

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yorkshire crickets investigation into their own team, originally summing up with "yep we found a bunch of racism, but we have decided not to punish anyone" was bad. The madness though with claiming calling someone "paki" is just abit of banter, no real harm, just friendly joking.  Is fucking crazy. 

This must just be the start for county cricket as well. This can't just be the only club. I saw some comments online that it was just Northern teams that made me laugh. All those innocent home counties teams, noway would those guys who are Tory and Leave voters be in anyway racist at all.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

I know Azeem  fairly well, although hadn't seen him for a few years until he moved into a place next door to one of my friends(after receiving death threats once Yorkshire got suspended of holding International cricket at Headingly).  I got talking to him last week about all this stuff, and I honestly don't think he will ever get over it. He just seemed a shell of his former self and an emotional wreck, poor lad. He was a really top lad years ago too, so all the shit coming out has really got to me.

By the way, he himself will admit he isn't totally innocent when it comes to the "banter" that cuts close to the bone, but it doesn't make the things he has experienced acceptable. I hope he can move on now though and get his love for the sport back. He could make a difference in righting the many wrongs in the game.

Edited by Cod Eye