The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The Ratt said:

Speaking off YouTube, I'm really enjoying the fact that all the counties are streaming their 4 day games. 

Watched most of the final 2 days of Lancs v Sussex (Jack Carson looks a great prospect for Sussex), then being able to just flick over to watch the end of that Yorkshire v Northants match which went down to the wire was great (apart from the result 😄) 

Yeah, it's been great. I've watched a fair amount of Durhams games so far. Brilliant to have on in the background when working from home. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Ben Stokes is unavailable, you say?

There's only one man who can replace him....

15 fours and 15 sixes off 149 balls. He put on 166 for the ninth wicket with Miguel Cummins, who scored 7.

He then opened the bowling and got Labuschagne out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe we've made it to three days without mention of the test, let alone this...

972665-20210505161652.jpg

Magnificent. Should be the regulation cut for all military medium, lower middle order sloggers. 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'll be there tomorrow in a box, quaffing the finest free champagne and canapes and no doubt shitting myself on the train back to Slough.

Played against Cleethorpes today @Lion_of_the_Midlands

They got 179 we managed 149. Depressing stuff really. I was run out after fielding all day in this horrible heat.

Put it down as character building.

Think they should be promoted back into the Premier League this season I would imagine.

Sorry to anyone else who doesn't give a flying shite.

In fact, anyone else playing this season? Let's open the floor up.

• Paid Members

I think Cleethorpes have spent a few quid on paying players this year @Max PowerThey have been very keen to get back in the Prem. They are a big club in these parts and not having a team in an ECB Premier League is costing them in terms of junior players coming through going to other teams. 

I have been doing an observation on an umpire today. It was a long debrief as he had more than a few issues that he needs to sort out. Counting to 6 been one of them. Four 5 ball overs and two 7 ball overs. He is keen to get promoted to better games but that is going to take a while on today's evidence. At least it was sunny. 

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

Played against Cleethorpes today @Lion_of_the_Midlands

They got 179 we managed 149. Depressing stuff really. I was run out after fielding all day in this horrible heat.

Put it down as character building.

Think they should be promoted back into the Premier League this season I would imagine.

Sorry to anyone else who doesn't give a flying shite.

In fact, anyone else playing this season? Let's open the floor up.

Played a T20 yesterday.

3 over spell, 14 balls were excellent, 1/4.

The 4 other deliveries went over the fence 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators

Should Olly Robinson be suspended?

I don't think he should. He said shitty things, but said them 10 years ago. He's a reformed character now by all accounts and has apologised. I'm more concerned about whichever nasty person who sat on the tweets until his debut. Hateful as fuck. They've had 10 years to throw him under the bus. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't think he should be suspended either Butch but this is the world we live in now. Every person who gets in to the public eye in any way is going to be held to account for their social media past. You can bet whoever has outed him had screen shotted the tweets so he couldn't even have deleted them. Whoever has done this has waited until the time they would have maximum impact on his career. He was stupid as a young adult, they have been vindictive as an adult, probably for money. I know which is worse. 

I think it’s been done to show contrition.  I think regardless of your age you can always grow as a person and learn. I think he’s really done the right thing the right way. And if it sends a message to any future stars to think before they tweet, then nice one. 
Im not the person I was 5 years ago, nor am I the same person 20 years ago. For me what’s important isn’t so much what he did, but what he does now. He seemed genuinely horrified and has grown as a person since. 

• Paid Members

I'm in favour of Robinson being banned, and I would also be in favour of a severe ban.

I don't disagree that his old tweets have been possibly dug up by someone with an axe to grind who arguably waited for this sort of opportunity to do this. But I also think that's of lesser importance than what he said.

I, like Butch and Keith, have changed a lot as a person and have done / said things a long time ago that I'm genuinely ashamed of right now. At the same time, we've all personally owned these actions without being outed for them.

If I put myself in Robinson's shoes and posted the stuff that he did then, years later, I'm a changed person who abhors the kind of thing that I posted. I think I'd have remembered doing so. And at the very least I'd have held my hands up and acknowledged my wrongs. What bothers me about this is that it took someone unearthing these tweets for Robinson to issue his statement. It may or may not be heartfelt, I don't know, but that does trouble me.

What I would also say is that I also don't have any confidence that the ECB aren't just making him a scapegoat, because they're utterly fucking incompetent. I mean, what kind of a punishment did Craig Overton get a few years ago when he told Ashar Zaidi to go back where he came from? A slap on the wrist and that's it.

Michael Carberry asks some questions about why it's taken so long to discover Robinson's posts as well:-

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12327236/michael-carberry-i-have-no-respect-for-oliver-dowdens-comments-about-ollie-robinsons-tweets

I do understand people questioning the punishment of such a long-standing offence but considering we're clearly going nowhere in this country on the subject of racism especially, maybe we do need to start being more severe - but also consistent. Overton should retrospectively get pretty much the same as what Robinson should get.

• Paid Members

I think you are wrong Dev, we are going somewhere in this country with regards to racism. We are getting more racist. When England fans are prepared to boo the England football team for taking a knee in support of BLM it clearly shows that racists feel comfortable.