The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, JNLister said:

Saw Sussex in a T20 game last night and they had a 16 year old bowling.

Which means he would have been an actual baby during the 2005 Ashes.

He's played again tonight in the live game on sky and has taken 3-14 from his 3 overs. 

Incredible from such a young lad, I'd have been bowling it off the square if that had been me in a live game. 

• Paid Members

Didn't bat either game, but was listed at 11 in the order both nights so I suspect they weren't that confident. Or it's just illegal to lob a ball at a child at high speed.

Archie Lenham by the way. His dad and granddad both played fairly regularly for Sussex.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

Just watching the Sky Sports pundits autopsy on the state of the English team. Only a single player averaging over 40 with the bat, and an ageing pace attack with no obvious signs of any replacements obvious.

Have we come to a point where we need to properly split the disciplines, and have red ball player only playing and concentrating on first class and white ball players only playing and concentrating in list A/T20? 

It just feels at the minute we're at a place with the England team in particular where all the focus is on the white ball disciplines, and traditional test match skills are going becoming extinct.  

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Just watching the Sky Sports pundits autopsy on the state of the English team. Only a single player averaging over 40 with the bat, and an ageing pace attack with no obvious signs of any replacements obvious.

Have we come to a point where we need to properly split the disciplines, and have red ball player only playing and concentrating on first class and white ball players only playing and concentrating in list A/T20? 

It just feels at the minute we're at a place with the England team in particular where all the focus is on the white ball disciplines, and traditional test match skills are going becoming extinct.  

My concern with splitting the disciplines is not many would choose red ball. If you want to make a career and decent income white ball is a much safer bet. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, ElCece said:

My concern with splitting the disciplines is not many would choose red ball. If you want to make a career and decent income white ball is a much safer bet. 

That was the aspect I was worried about. 

I'm just really concerned that Test cricket, one of my favourite things in the world won't last much longer...

The worst part of this is the constant "Stokes and Buttler are missing so we'll be fine". Now Stokes is obviously an incredible cricketer, but Buttler has a test average of 34.

I can't see anyone else who bats well enough to break into the side though. The top 6 who played these last 2 tests constantly dominate County Cricket - so they're obviously the best we have.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, JNLister said:

Today I sat in a lot of drizzle and then saw this:

What a ball, and from a Barnsley lass too! YORKSHIRE, YORKSHIRE, YORKSHIRE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I was doing an assessment on an umpire yesterday and it was a tremendous game. Team batting first 84 all out. Young spinner bowled well, took 5 for 5, helped by some indifferent shots and one truly hilarious moment when the batsman was out stumped and was arguing with the square leg umpire that he wasnt out while never getting back behind the popping crease at any point. 

Team batting second had a run out off the first ball of the innings. Recovered to 50 for 2, slumped to 56 for 6 before recovering again to 81 for 7. The next over contained 2 leg byes, a single a clean bowled and a run out, to leave them 84-9 with roughly 28 overs to get 1 run. First ball of the next over was a dropped catch at forward short leg that my nanny would have caught. Next ball, clean bowled, we have a tie. 

The pitch was blameless, the batting wasnt. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Did anybody expect the first day to go any different than it did? Genuinely an event if England get past 250 these days. Might as well recall James Vince, at least he'd get 27 before he wafts one to second slip, which is 27 more than most of them are getting these days.