5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished Detectorists a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it all and the last special was beautifully done. Pleasant comfort viewing.

I've just rewatched it all, and absolutely agree about the final episode. For me, it's probably the most satisfying ending to a TV show I've adored.

For me 

Spoiler

Lance, despite telling Andys son his gift would be disposed of fairly quickly, has a change of heart as he's a lovely guy and it stays on the shelf, until one day he has a proper look at it, and there you go. Beautiful.

Also, SuperBacon BONK! content, Aimee-ffion Edwards. Swoon. 

• Paid Members

I have to agree with Bacon and Dev about the love for Detectorists. McKenzie Crook has written it with a warmth and charm that is rare in a TV programme. It's no surprise that the Wurzel Gummidge reboot also written Crook shares that same vibe. 

• Paid Members

That's going to keep me busy for a while. I wonder whether it's to do with Britbox being moved to ITVX. Heck of a thing to do ahead of the 60th anniversary specials. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

On 10/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, SuperBacon said:

Ghosts

No idea why its taken me so long to start this, but I blitzed the first series yesterday whilst ill (have I mentioned I'm ill?)

Absolutely lovely stuff. Simon Farnaby is one of the most underrated comic actors in this country. He is just brilliant. His expressions as he concentrates to physically interact with something "sent me" as the kids say.

Although I did think of something whilst watching it. If ghosts have to physically concentrate to interact with something, and can walk through walls/doors etc, how are they able to walk then? As surely by this logic they would just fall through the floor and keep falling forever?

Ghosts is fantastic, the characters are funny yet touching as you find out more about each as the show goes on, the ghosts are friends and have grown to love each other. Even Julien in the final episode of this series shows his human side.

I didn't enjoy the American version, the ghosts are based on their history so you don't get a dirty bastard mp, a gentleman army captain and a sausage roll loving scout master. Our version probably wouldn't work for Americans.

6 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I didn't enjoy the American version, the ghosts are based on their history so you don't get a dirty bastard mp, a gentleman army captain and a sausage roll loving scout master. Our version probably wouldn't work for Americans.

It lost the heart for me. And I just didn't find it funny. I know a few Brits who prefer the US version and I think they're mad.

And I usually love US comedies..

• Paid Members
On 10/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Started watching that Steve Coogan/Jimmy Savile thing today. Coogan is great in it.

When I first heard that Steve Coogan would be playing Savile I just couldn't see it. Having watched it though, he absolutely nailed it and it was so convincing in the role you could almost believe it was Jimmy Savile himself. 

Overall I thought it was very well done though uncomfortable to watch at times. Though I was expecting it to be given the subject matter.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Boycie said:

When I first heard that Steve Coogan would be playing Savile I just couldn't see it. 

How? He seemed perfect to me.

He was incredible as Savile, probably the most accurate biopic acting I've ever seen. The show was a bit boring though, should have been a film or something.

55 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

How? He seemed perfect to me.

He was incredible as Savile, probably the most accurate biopic acting I've ever seen. The show was a bit boring though, should have been a film or something.

I watched all episodes back to back and it does work better as one long piece, Steve Coogan is a wonderful actor.