44 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's correct. First two series were on Channel 4, then Netfiix bought it. Think Drake did actually.

Drake bought it and approached Netflix to make the series' for him. He's executive producer on all last 3 seasons I think.

I found the fourth (and hopefully last) season of Sex Education largely insufferable. 

I seem to remember liking the first couple of seasons, but it feels like it's strayed very far from what it originally was. Which was, you know, insightful and sweet and, importantly, funny

There's one very obvious laugh-out-loud scene in the first episode, but most of it is the 'kids' going through a collective existential crises and therapising each other. It's really dull and gets old very quickly. 

I still appreciated the top-notch set design, costumes and music, but the writing and directing left a lot to be desired. A shame. 

Edited by SaitoRyo

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SaitoRyo said:

I still appreciated the top-notch set design, costumes and music, but the writing and directing left a lot to be desired. A shame. 

Watched the first episode of S4, and I had forgotten how jarring the setting is, everything seems at odds, everyone is dressing like they are form different decades, the school seems to be in America aesthetically, but also in the UK geographically. I appreciate these are all deliberate choices, but it frequently takes me out of being able to really invest in the show and it's characters, many of whom have gone from being enjoyably awkward to downright smug and insufferable. Very strange.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a show that can do heart-warming, poignant moments when they get it right, but I find the incongruous nature of so many of the visual aspects overly distracting

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Watched the first episode of S4, and I had forgotten how jarring the setting is, everything seems at odds, everyone is dressing like they are form different decades, the school seems to be in America aesthetically, but also in the UK geographically. I appreciate these are all deliberate choices, but it frequently takes me out of being able to really invest in the show and it's characters, many of whom have gone from being enjoyably awkward to downright smug and insufferable. Very strange.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a show that can do heart-warming, poignant moments when they get it right, but I find the incongruous nature of so many of the visual aspects overly distracting

It's one of the things I like most about the show, because it makes it feel properly unique. I can see why some might find it jarring, mind.

And you're right about the way the characters have gone. A few of them become very unlikeable during this season (feels like Adam and Aimee are the exception).

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm pretty sure I dropped the third season part way through,

2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

I found the fourth (and hopefully last) season of Sex Education largely insufferable. 

Looks like it did get damaged. 

• Paid Members

Last night I found a channel on Pluto tv that shows nothing but Married with Children all day, I ended up watching it for like 8 hours. I used to love it as a teen and it's still great, so mean and cartoony compared to other sitcoms from the time, I was laughing out loud loads. 

I use to love Kelly but now I'm closer in age to Peggy I'm finding it harder to understand why Al is always knocking back her advances.

• Paid Members

Amateurs. I used to record married with children on ITV on a Friday night when it preceded American Gladiators and sometimes WCW Worldwide.

But Sky 1 showing it with The Simpsons so I could watch it from the beginning was the best. I heard there’s an animated reboot with all the cast back doing their characters voices. Which will either be great, or show up in another off topic thread.

Ghosts

No idea why its taken me so long to start this, but I blitzed the first series yesterday whilst ill (have I mentioned I'm ill?)

Absolutely lovely stuff. Simon Farnaby is one of the most underrated comic actors in this country. He is just brilliant. His expressions as he concentrates to physically interact with something "sent me" as the kids say.

Although I did think of something whilst watching it. If ghosts have to physically concentrate to interact with something, and can walk through walls/doors etc, how are they able to walk then? As surely by this logic they would just fall through the floor and keep falling forever?

• Paid Members

I need to get back on Ghosts. I wasn't a huge fan after one or two series, but I do love Simon Farnaby. A mate of mine is apparently in the latest series, so I want to get caught up to see that. 

I don't know if they go into it in the show (and I suspect the answer is "Rule of Funny"), but generally I think the explanation for what ghosts can or can't interact with comes down to how permanent structures are and what was there when they were alive - if the walls weren't there when they were alive, they'll pass through them, but the floor presumably was there before them.

• Paid Members

Finished Detectorists a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it all and the last special was beautifully done. Pleasant comfort viewing.

Tried a few episodes of Archive 81 on Netflix but binned it. Should have been a miniseries and nothing more, and even then it might have been stretched. The acting was really rubbish and didn't help either.