The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

He was released, then re-hired under HHH. Feuded with Miz for what felt like an eternity as I recall.  He vanished again for quite a while, but has recently been uploading pictures on social media looking the most shredded he’s ever been. 

Whilst I'm sure Dragunov will end up in Imperium after impressing Gunther in a heroic semi-final effort, I hope they resist.

I love the idea of Dragunov losing in a belter of a match, and then tormenting Gunther every time Gunther tries to achieve something to force him into a rematch. 

A proper Gunther v Dragunov feud across the main show could be an absolute belter whilst Gunther waits for someone to be a World Champion he can challenge.

Perhaps let Gunther win the King of the Ring first before Ilja starts trying to fuck his life up, can bill it as the Mad King vs the King of the Ring, then. Like two feuding monarchs trying to establish their claim to be the top European on Raw.

I'm in.

26 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Whilst I'm sure Dragunov will end up in Imperium after impressing Gunther in a heroic semi-final effort, I hope they resist.

I love the idea of Dragunov losing in a belter of a match, and then tormenting Gunther every time Gunther tries to achieve something to force him into a rematch. 

A proper Gunther v Dragunov feud across the main show could be an absolute belter whilst Gunther waits for someone to be a World Champion he can challenge.

Perhaps let Gunther win the King of the Ring first before Ilja starts trying to fuck his life up, can bill it as the Mad King vs the King of the Ring, then. Like two feuding monarchs trying to establish their claim to be the top European on Raw.

I'm in.

I've seen the idea of him joining Imperium floated around for quite some time regarding him joining the main roster. As someone who has followed all his NXT stuff, I'm just not sure where the logic is behind it. I can see why Gunther would want him on side rather than a threat, but why Dragunov would want to battle beside his arch nemesis? It doesn't really work for me. Those two are destined to beat the shit out of each other.

All I hope is that the daft idea of the winner dressing as an actual monarch for a year was a Vince thing. It worked for Booker, but I’m filled with absolute dread whenever they do a KOTR these days from the memories of King Sheamus, King Barrett and King Corbin.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

All I hope is that the daft idea of the winner dressing as an actual monarch for a year was a Vince thing. It worked for Booker, but I’m filled with absolute dread whenever they do a KOTR these days from the memories of King Sheamus, King Barrett and King Corbin.

I think it works for some & not for others. Gunther, it'd absolutely be silly and ill-fitting for his character, and he should smash up the throne and denounce it on Raw if he wins. 

I still find it kinda sad though that Xavier Woods, the one guy who really wanted to be King of the Ring, talked loads about it on his podcast, realistically saw it as his ceiling as a singles guy, and had loads of ideas for how he'd make it fun (again per podcast), had it dropped after a month or two. Had to be some spite in that decision. 

I must not have been paying attention during Woods’ reign because I have absolutely no memory of it! I even had to Google when it happened - 2021 was indeed likely the year I paid the least attention to WWE.

Absolutely checks out that they would cut short the storyline for the one dude who was actually passionate about the role. Peak “don’t you dare get over by yourself” WWE.

Posted (edited)

There's going to be an element of goodwill towards the new Wyatt family that might help it find it's legs, but as others have said even when Bray was doing it there were as many misses as there were hits, and that's being charitable. I'm convinced that 99 times out of 100 stuff like this is doomed to failure, and it's only those rare "lightning in a bottle" gimmicks that make it. There's obviously lots of room for shortsightedness and ineptitude, but most of the time they're pushing marmalade up a hill to start with. They've also got some potentially difficult territory to negotiate with trying to strike the right tone given the wider circumstances. I'm approaching this with far more trepidation than enthusiasm, but I hope I'm wrong. They shouldn't try and be too clever, and they shouldn't make the foundation of the whole thing a jumble of meaningless lore. Keep it simple, and preferably explainable to children. And me. 

That's the second week in a row that Punk has went out there without the Hunkster to bounce off and it hasn't went as well as Punk appears to think it has. He likes to do this "I don't even need to get out of second gear" routine but he really does. McIntyre is approaching this like it's the role of a lifetime and he's leaving nothing back. It's working too, everything from his furious intensity to his malicious pettyness is going down extremely well. Punks falling a bit flat, but that's not the only thing that fell, right Pat? Brutal. 

I don't think even this lot can do any wrong with Gunther. Whatever they decide to do with Ilya and him, it'll be a cracker. 

Edited by Donald J Trump
Pat? Pat???

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

DM Hunk to the rescue...

I’m reminded of when The Rock came back and John Cena ate his lunch in promos. If I didn’t know better, I’d be convinced they were doing it on purpose to make Drew into a bigger and bigger star at the expense of Punk, who they don’t trust to not get re-injured.

Wouldn’t shock me at all if he starts next week’s promo by addressing the CHokE aRTisT line with, “Punk, why do you insist on doing this dumb Internet shit on TV?”

Posted (edited)

The worst part about last night, was realising that Punk - the guy who made his name off of intuiting what a crowd wants - had no idea his promo was going nowhere or that his joke divebombed, and Pat McAfee - a former football player and current gob for hire - showed himself to be a much more intuitive performer and had to rescue the dead joke for anyone watching at home who either didn't get it or didn't care.

Guillotine indeed, Pat.

It's a shame because by and large Punk has had a decent return. Not the blockbuster they envisaged I imagine, but he's willing to do anything and everything, seems to be having a good time and has done some good stuff with Drew in particular. But when he does these angry voiced, long, cynical, 2011 shite bomb promos it just feels so out of place. Like watching a mime going down some imaginary stairs despite the fact talkies have been invented. Just... stop, man.

Christ, he's this generations Bob Backlund isn't he? A man completely out of time. Not without value, just an anachronism. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Just want to warn you all in advance that when McIntyre and Punk eventually have their match, Punk is going to kick out of the Futureshock DDT at 1.

YARN | There's no stopping it. | Titanic (1997) | Video gifs by quotes |  299eb8a1 | 紗

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’m reminded of when The Rock came back and John Cena ate his lunch in promos. If I didn’t know better, I’d be convinced they were doing it on purpose to make Drew into a bigger and bigger star at the expense of Punk, who they don’t trust to not get re-injured.

I always recall when Cena said to Reigns something along the lines of "You've always been protected, and I'm the one person there's no protection from". He then made mincemeat of Reigns, just like he made mincemeat of The Rock, as you mention. Punk usually held his own against Cena, and not everyone does. Now he's coming out second best in promos to a guy who either isn't in the building or is in the rafters with no microphone. It can't just be that he's yesterday's man, can it? It's not like the art of the promo has significantly evolved over the past decade and a bit. I think lack of application and effort explains it, partially. It could also be that his range just isn't there. He's fine for the "this whole damn rotten business" promos, and he's satisfactory enough in your average, monthly disagreement. The work McIntyres doing, both on TV and on social media is singlehandedly taking this fued to a level Punk can't keep up with. Maybe he's saving the good stuff till later, but if youre telling people you're going to land a knockout blow, the last thing you need to be doing is punching yourself in the face. The whole sucking up to Pat because he's independently wealthy and does real sports thing makes him look like he's scrambling for relevance as well. "Hey Pat, time me", "Hey Pat, I really gave that 170lbs rookie what for, didn't I Pat?".

For McIntyres part in it, he's got an opportunity to go up against a guy that hung with two of the best, and he's giving a hell of an account of himself. At this stage though, it wouldn't be entirely out of place if McIntyre mouthed "I'm sorry" before Claymoring Punk out his misery. 

I might be terribly biased in all this and I'm almost certainly getting carried away.