The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

16 hours ago, BomberPat said:

you can't really coast on being the anti-authority guy who speaks truth to power when everybody's queuing up to tell the authority how amazing they are and what a great job they're doing.

I mean... you could as a heel. But they've already kinda did story ten years ago when he turn heel mid wwe title run.

9 hours ago, Slapnut said:

I must not have been paying attention during Woods’ reign because I have absolutely no memory of it! I even had to Google when it happened - 2021 was indeed likely the year I paid the least attention to WWE.

Absolutely checks out that they would cut short the storyline for the one dude who was actually passionate about the role. Peak “don’t you dare get over by yourself” WWE.

I think the only decent thing they got out of it was the have the bloodline beat Xavier up and put the crown on Roman.

• Paid Members

"Punk you're a hypocrite... you made these comments on TV that only the nerdiest of basement dwellers would ever actually understand.”

DM Hunk Basement Dwellers, unite!

Another mention of the match happening in Glasgow though. Hell yeah. Best use of Punk by far. Sick of this rubbish babyface run. Stick him in hostile territory where he can play super heel! Almost makes the insane prices worth it! Almost.

I don't usually fall for this sort of stuff when it comes to wrestling, and my favourite guys have often been smaller (hi, Daniel Bryan Danielson đź‘‹) - but is anyone else struggling with the physical comparison between Drew and Punk?

Drew looks like he'd fucking murder him.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don't usually fall for this sort of stuff when it comes to wrestling, and my favourite guys have often been smaller (hi, Daniel Bryan Danielson đź‘‹) - but is anyone else struggling with the physical comparison between Drew and Punk?

Drew looks like he'd fucking murder him.

I did think this a little when they were scrapping in the Rumble. On the one hand it's never been a massive problem when Kid fought Diesel or Rey Rey fought almost anyone, the smaller guy was convincing that they had a chance to beat the big guy. Problem therein being that Punk won't fight Drew like Kid fighting Diesel, they'll have the same kind of match with the same kind of wrestling and brawling as if it was Shawn vs Marty, AJ vs Chris Daniels or whoever.

I'm not saying Punk needs to be a speedball any bump like a nutter, running around Drew like HBK did with Sid... they can make it work if its subtle. Like how in the first Austin vs Bret match the early exchanges had Austin winning the fist fight because that was his game, and Bret eventually rising up and meeting him through stamina and guts alone. Although maybe I'm asking too much of Punk to channel Bret.

Cm Punk Whatever GIF by WWE

I think you've touched on the issue that exacerbates their physical differences; Punk doesn't really wrestle like a small guy, or from underneath particularly. His presentation is that of a physical equal, dangerous because of his MMA, and someone who will beat you with his wrestling acumen. 

That alone presents a challenge, but the fact that he also isn't particularly athletically impressive in the same way as a Danielson or whoever, and suddenly you're stuck with a Greek God type figure in Drew, versus a guy half his size trying to play his equal, without any of the athletic gifts to make that seem plausible.

Drew looks like he could throw him out of the arena from the ring.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That alone presents a challenge, but the fact that he also isn't particularly athletically impressive in the same way as a Danielson or whoever, and suddenly you're stuck with a Greek God type figure in Drew, versus a guy half his size trying to play his equal, without any of the athletic gifts to make that seem plausible.

I think that's the key issue nailed bang on. Someone like Danielson is small but he still looks like an athletic specimen, wrestles like a tough guy and knows when to play under dog and knows when to turn up the heat and be an ass kicker in a believable way. CM Punk basically wrestles like he's any other WWE main eventer but without the physique of a WWE main eventer, he looks like shit most the time and he doesn't have any offence specific, stylistic or unique enough to cover for his size or cover that most his moves look pretty sloppy. It worked ok back in the day when you had the ongoing storyline that he was an underdog in the sense that he was fighting against the WWE system and that covered for it but now he's an accepted WWE guy through and through it's less easy to ignore this stuff.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Can't wait for him to leave after not wrestling a single one on one match.

On TV. He wrestled Dom twice on house shows after Christmas, both are up on YouTube.

• Paid Members

Wrestlers come in all shapes and sizes and the only thing that matters is how the booker presents them. Punk is presented by the WWE as a dangerous main event talent, so he is. Enough of the fan base has bought in to that over the years so it doesn't matter what he looks like. It doesn't matter how you look if people think you are shit, there a plenty of examples of that over the years but right at this moment Karrion Kross would be the prime example of that. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Can't wait for him to leave after not wrestling a single one on one match. It's coming soon, he's gonna fuck up! Just wait!

I very much doubt he will. He's being paid lots of money and everyone is kissing his arse which is all he's ever wanted.  More likely that his body won't be able to manage regular matches. I can see him slipping into a part timer role just out of necessity to stop him from crumbling into dust.

I love the fact that he's such a scroat that people are suggesting he isn't a believable foil for McIntyre, despite the fact that he's a "different type of choke artist". Personally, that side of things has never really bothered me as long as people play to their strengths. I'd buy Dom Mysterio beating Lesnar, as long as he was a cheating shit while doing so.

I'm not wild about the prospect of them meeting at Clash of the Castle, as I worry they'd short change us to drag it out to Summerslam. My hope is that the mentions of Glasgow are just them working towards a way of avoiding it. That's provided the alternative is McIntyre being crowned king of Wrestling and it being the greatest night in history. If they're not doing that, then any version of Drew/Punk is what you'd want instead. Christ, imagine if it's Jey Uso. What if that's why McIntyre got involved in his business on Monday. What if I've spent £500 to be surrounded by bastards "yeeting" during the main event. Fucking hell. 

Does anybody want to buy a ticket for Clash at the Castle? 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I very much doubt he will. He's being paid lots of money and everyone is kissing his arse which is all he's ever wanted. 

I’ve found this really weird. Hurricane Helms was the latest to say what a stand up guy Punks been. I don’t doubt it, but I’m perplexed as to why all these WWE names have to put quotes/statements out about him on a regular basis. Poochie vibes.

• Paid Members
Just now, Donald J Trump said:

What if I've spent £500 to be surrounded by bastards "yeeting" during the main event. Fucking hell. 

Does anybody want to buy a ticket for Clash at the Castle? 

I guarantee you’ll have that and “Yeaaah” chanted all night regardless of the card.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve found this really weird. Hurricane Helms was the latest to say what a stand up guy Punks been. I don’t doubt it, but I’m perplexed as to why all these WWE names have to put quotes/statements out about him on a regular basis. Poochie vibes.

Because they get asked about him.