Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Billie Eilish – Hit Me Hard and Soft: The Tour (Live in 3D) Is your standard concert film but in 3D and she co-directs with James Cameron. Decent but nothing particularly new.

The Sheep Detectives is a weird one. It was fun but was expecting it to be a bit funnier than it was. But a fine Sunday afternoon film with the family.

  • Members
Posted

Have watched all the Lethal Weapon films over the last week, what a series it is. Had only seen the first two, and had a right old time of it.

Lethal Weapon is a pure 10/10 film that zips along at some pace. Essentially it's Gibson just going "I'm facking mad me Rog!!!" and Glovee going "Sheeeeyiiiiit" but it's bloody brilliant, and their chemistry is so good. Gibson especially is fantastic.

Lethal Weapon 2 is also very good, and you get the added bonus of a lovely Patsy Kensit, Joe Pesci hamming it up to the nth degree and one of the best lines in film history "Guys like you don't die on toilets" 8/10

Lethal Weapon 3 lags a bit, but the opening scene is great, and seeing them as street beat police was gold, could've really had more of that. I've always loved Rene Russo so that was nice, and again Pesci is on top form, despite his hair. 7/10

Lethal Weapon 4 is a very 1998 film, and you can tell it is as the baddies are now all Chinese (a great/evil bunch of lads) Chris Rock is in it, and so is Jet Li with a cracking mullet. Its a nice ending to the series but I'd have liked more Jet Li kicking shit up. 7/10

Of course, none of these compare to the Gangs Lethal Weapons 5, 6 and 7, and to be honest watching these, especially the first film, after knowing the Sunny versions for so many years was a problem. I think it's the first time I've seen 1 & 2 since watching Sunny. 

Its ALL I could think of watching the first film, Dennis as Riggs and Mac in his "tasteful blackface" as Murtaugh.6x9_-_Dee_Reynolds-_Shaping_America27s_Youth_-_Blackface.thumb.webp.ab0948bdfe14cf65c374f0e9e8ed7969.webp

"Go suck an eeeeegggggg"

Brilliant films though, I was entertained pretty much all of the time.

  • Moderators
Posted

Have you seen national lampoons loaded weapon? I've seen it loads of times as it used to be on sky movies all the time for a particular period of my childhood..  I've never seen a lethal weapon movie all the way through and definitely didn't understand many of the references. I'm really just trying to get you to watch it so I can find out if it was actually any good. 

Anyway. Speaking of old movies, we watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids today. First time I've seen it since like 1992, so I had no idea if it would be any good. It has aged surprisingly well even if the story is quite sloppy. I'm never sure if old stuff will hit the mark with kids.

Everyone got very upset when Anty died (spoilers. Sorry). Everyone laughed at Rick Moranis's antics, and my son only asked to stop watching it and play switch instead about 3 times which is a record for him (he has no patience for films that aren't super mario). 

  • Members
Posted
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Have you seen national lampoons loaded weapon?

If I have, I can't remember any of it, so I'll try and watch it. I know you've seen the Sunny Lethal Weapon episodes so you will not be able to unsee any of it if you watch the LW films. IN YO FACE SUCKEEEEER.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Have you seen national lampoons loaded weapon? I've seen it loads of times as it used to be on sky movies all the time for a particular period of my childhood..  I've never seen a lethal weapon movie all the way through and definitely didn't understand many of the references. I'm really just trying to get you to watch it so I can find out if it was actually any good. 

Anyway. Speaking of old movies, we watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids today. First time I've seen it since like 1992, so I had no idea if it would be any good. It has aged surprisingly well even if the story is quite sloppy. I'm never sure if old stuff will hit the mark with kids.

Everyone got very upset when Anty died (spoilers. Sorry). Everyone laughed at Rick Moranis's antics, and my son only asked to stop watching it and play switch instead about 3 times which is a record for him (he has no patience for films that aren't super mario). 

Loaded Weapon, Stakeout and Another Stakeout all exist as one film in my memory. Another Stakeout and Loaded Weapon seemed to be on Sky Movies all the time along with Men at Work for an Emilio trilogy. Actually throw in The Rookie, Navy Seals, Hot Shots, Young Guns Parts 1+2 and the Estevez boys ruled early 90’s Sky.

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Lethal Weapon 2 is also very good, and you get the added bonus of a lovely Patsy Kensit, Joe Pesci hamming it up to the nth degree and one of the best lines in film history "Guys like you don't die on toilets" 8/10

Barking "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY" in a thick South African accent whenever you're asked to do a small task is the best bit about watching LW2.

It's the main reason I'm not allowed to watch that particular entry in the series very often :(

Posted

Remarkably Bright Creatures. On paper a film narrated by an octopus (voiced by Doc Ock himself, Alfred Molina) seems like a batshit concept. Before pressing play me and my wife had no clue what it was about, that it was based on a book, just that it was Sally Field + octopus. This is such a beautiful, heartwarming film that had turned us both in to crying wrecks by the end of it. Absolutely marvellous.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 5/10/2026 at 10:40 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Have you seen national lampoons loaded weapon? I've seen it loads of times as it used to be on sky movies all the time for a particular period of my childhood.

I love this film, but then I do love a good spoof. Samuel L Jackson and Emilio Estevez are great, Shatner as the villain is a hammy hoot, Tim Curry (nuff said). Plus a litany of big name cameos.

The humour in this will either grate the point of turning it off, or it’ll chime perfectly. This is definitely my kind of nonsense. 

Posted

Kalifornia

A writer and his photographer girlfriend set out on a multi-state road trip to work on a book about serial killers, unwittingly taking a killer and his childlike girlfriend with them as travelling companions. 

I'd seen this once, many moons ago, so I remembered the general vibe but not too much of what actually happened in terms of the plot. The plot is fairly predictable, but I love the general tone and look of the film. Will always be a mark for this type of twisted Americana, with its gas stations, diners, dive bars and seedy motels. 

Also, Brad Pitt is fucking excellent as the villain. Just a truly despicable piece of shit.

Best Seller

A career hitman wants to team up with a veteran cop/author to tell his story and expose the corporation that utilised his services for so many years. 

Good 80s neo-noir thriller where James Woods gets to run wild as a slimy, violent bastard and Brian Dennehy gets to do his thing as the aging policeman who is getting too old for this shit. They work well together during a suspenseful 90-or-so minutes that is punctuated by violence and has a killer synth score (that should have been used more imo).

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
5 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Remarkably Bright Creatures. On paper a film narrated by an octopus (voiced by Doc Ock himself, Alfred Molina) seems like a batshit concept. Before pressing play me and my wife had no clue what it was about, that it was based on a book, just that it was Sally Field + octopus. This is such a beautiful, heartwarming film that had turned us both in to crying wrecks by the end of it. Absolutely marvellous.

Good to hear it’s an effective adaptation - the book has a similar effect despite having the least Scottish Scottish character in any book I’ve ever read! (Is there a Scottish character in the film?)

  • Paid Members
Posted

Send Help

It was fine. Very Sam Raimi. Overlong in the way that all films are these days. It never really figured out where the dramatic tension should be coming from or who you should be rooting for, and then ended really abruptly. There's a good film in there somewhere.

Posted
17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Send Help

Overlong in the way that all films are these days.

A big reason I don't bother with a lot of modern stuff tbh. Most films should be between 88 and 95 minutes long (especially if it's a horror film directed by Sam Raimi). 

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Best Seller

A career hitman wants to team up with a veteran cop/author to tell his story and expose the corporation that utilised his services for so many years. 

Good 80s neo-noir thriller where James Woods gets to run wild as a slimy, violent bastard and Brian Dennehy gets to do his thing as the aging policeman who is getting too old for this shit. They work well together during a suspenseful 90-or-so minutes that is punctuated by violence and has a killer synth score (that should have been used more imo).

Funnily enough I've got this lined up to watch this week, it looks ace. 

Posted
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Send Help

It was fine. Very Sam Raimi. Overlong in the way that all films are these days. It never really figured out where the dramatic tension should be coming from or who you should be rooting for, and then ended really abruptly. There's a good film in there somewhere.

 

I watched this last night and quite enjoyed it. Thought Rachel McAdams was excellent.

Spoiler

In terms of who to root for. I think it is set up for you to root for McAdams at the start, until you realise she is fucking mental, and they are both dickheads. Then you are just along for the ride, whilst it builds to the inevitable massive fight between the two.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

A big reason I don't bother with a lot of modern stuff tbh. Most films should be between 88 and 95 minutes long (especially if it's a horror film directed by Sam Raimi). 

Yeah, few things are more likely to make me agree to watch a film than an 89 minute run-time, and few things are going to turn me off more than a movie going more than two hours. 

My general go-to comparison is that Casablanca is 102 minutes long. Avengers Endgame is 181 minutes long. Does Avengers Endgame have 79 minutes more to say than Casablanca did? No, then it probably doesn't need to be that sodding long, does it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...