VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Runaway (ok.ru)

Fucking hell I'd completely forgotten all about this film. Then I read your description and I was taken back to the killer trailer for it that was on the back end of my Ghostbusters VHS. This one! 

• Paid Members

Pirates (2021. Netflix) I wanted to catch this at the cinema but it was as I was down with Covid. Fun debut by Reggie Yates and if you were in your teens at the turn of the millennium, some real nostalgic pangs. When it’s funny, genuinely great. But it loses its way in the last third. Worth a watch and under 90 minutes.

• Moderators

Watched the Tim Burton Charlie and the a chocolate Factory. Really liked it for the most part. Much more faithful to the book than the Gene Wilder one, and very funny. There's far too much time spent on the wonka daddy issues but generally it's good. I'm not a big Tim Burton fan generally but his style works well with this source material.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Watched the Tim Burton Charlie and the a chocolate Factory. Really liked it for the most part. Much more faithful to the book than the Gene Wilder one, and very funny. There's far too much time spent on the wonka daddy issues but generally it's good. I'm not a big Tim Burton fan generally but his style works well with this source material.

I think Wilder’s Wonka is better, but Burton’s film is better. I didn’t care for the Dad backstory other then it gave us more Christopher Lee. 

• Paid Members

Moonfall

As the name suggests - the moon is falling. What I didn't expect however was that the moon falling is the most sensible part of this film. To say it goes in some crazy directions would be an understatement. About 3/4 through the film John Bradley shouts "THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE BRIAN!" and that sums up the film. However if you turn your brain off and sit down with some popcorn you will probably have a pretty good time. 

On 2/20/2022 at 11:18 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm genuinely in shock anyone would ever like that hideous ugly monstrosity.

I didn't like it at the time and it was far worse when I watched it again before Christmas. It just tries so hard to bring out that weirdness in the source material that it's far more goofy than Wilder's Wonka. Which at times was genuinely sinister. It seems to mark a turning point in my mind where Tim Burton overstayed his welcome with the whole do a movie with my mate Johnny and slap a Siouxsie & the Banshees skin on it thing. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I didn't like it at the time and it was far worse when I watched it again before Christmas. It just tries so hard to bring out that weirdness in the source material that it's far more goofy than Wilder's Wonka. Which at times was genuinely sinister. It seems to mark a turning point in my mind where Tim Burton overstayed his welcome with the whole do a movie with my mate Johnny and slap a Siouxsie & the Banshees skin on it thing. 

The 1971 movie has some really shit songs in it and I think gets overly favourable comparisons because of rose tinted glasses. It's good but there's also plenty wrong with it.

Johnny Depp playing Wonka as Michael Jackson I can see may not work for everyone, but I liked it. I thought the rest of the casting and characterisation was perfect though. Grandpa Joe is a lot more sympathetic in the Tim Burton film too.