VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

West Side Story

I can’t stand musicals so I was never going to love this, but I wanted to see what a Spielberg musical looked like. 

Ansel Elgort is a shit of a man and the whole film stinks because of him. He’s rubbish in this. At best he’s plain, at worst he’s a gormless dementor sucking any joy out of the scene. Every other Jet oozed charisma and I wish with all my heart one of those had the main part instead. 

Elgort’s hairline seems to recede throughout the film, as did my enjoyment, and if it wasn’t for the occasional jazz banger or cracking wide shot I would have left with an hour to go.  Out of the Spielberg I’ve seen this is probably the only one I wouldn’t rewatch.

• Paid Members

Titane (cinema)

Well, that was weird. In a very specific way, it's like Tetsuo and Christine had a baby. It's strange, dark and absurd, but also emotional and interesting. I enjoyed it, but it's one of those that I'd hesitate to recommend to most people.

Rashomon (BFI Player)

Well, now I finally get this joke.

6m4zGH5ZNBMgWbftkn29E0EtJaNyjeKYRA3bdQrY5l8.gif.f034adb592fe576cabedd10e147eb40b.gif

It's superb, but not an easy film to like. The artistry is beautiful and clearly ahead of its time, it's brilliantly written and the acting is fantastic. But it's an unpleasant little film as well. I admired it more than I liked it.

We went to watch Spiderman at the cinema on Christmas Eve and were greeted by one of the staff who said "Here's some free tickets to come back again because someone has thrown salsa at the screen and stained it". Good ol' Sheffield. We cashed in our vouchers to watch Encanto. It's no Moana, I think I may have even preferred Luca but I, a 36 year old bloke, still found it entertaining and we've watched it a couple of times since as a family at home.

It's really well staged if that makes sense, a lot of the character and camera movements feel like they're straight from a live action musical. A couple of the songs don't quite hit the mark but there's three or four really good ones that I've had stuck in my head for days.

I really enjoyed Licorice Pizza, which was the first thing I've seen at the cinema in actual years (pandemic, having young kids and living in a foreign country miles away from the one cinema which shows two films per day).

It's lovingly filmed, really funny and has cracking cameos by Sean Penn, Tom Waits and Bradley Cooper. Hoffman and Haim are both excellent, too. You wouldn't think it both of their first roles. 

• Paid Members

The Lost Boys (BBC iPlayer)

I don't think I missed much not having seen this as a kid, except maybe Jami Gertz. It's alright but also quite crap and stupid like most of Joel Schumacher's films. I can see the appeal, just not for me. It's no Near Dark.

In Harm's Way (Film4)

Epic war drama set around the events of Pearl Harbour. Comes off a bit like if Robert Altman did a WW2 film, which is as good an endorsement as you can get. Kirk Douglas gets a particularly interesting role, all things considered.

Parenthood

It's a Ron Howard film so it has clear limits on how good it could be. But Keanu Reeves explaining what Joaquin Phoenix is doing in his bedroom to Dianne Wiest is cinéma.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (That IMDb channel on Prime)

Obviously the perfect time of year to watch this. Depressing prison camp gay drama with David Bowie showing what a decent actor he could be, given good material. Soundtrack obviously rules.

Elmer Gantry (ok.ru)

Superb film about evangelism with possibly Burt Lancaster's most showy performance. Almost outstays its welcome (it's two and a half hours long) but it's still depressingly relevant to this day.

The Madness of King George (BritBox on Prime)

I didn't remember so much stuff about piss pots and shit when I first watched this at university.

The Name of the Rose (ok.ru)

Barmy historical whodunnit with Sean Connery and Christian Slater as a pair of monks investigating some murders while the Spanish Inquistion closes in. Enjoyable, but goes on forever.

• Paid Members

I watched The Circle on Netflix last night.

As always I found it unnerving when a very English actor (Emma Watson) has to do an American accent to the point I started not believing Karen Gillans Scottish accent even though she’s actually Scottish.

Film was good but the ending was so abrupt without full fleshing out it left me cold when the credits rolled. It was like they planned a longer film then realised they were about to run out of tape.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
On 1/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (That IMDb channel on Prime)

Obviously the perfect time of year to watch this. Depressing prison camp gay drama with David Bowie showing what a decent actor he could be, given good material. Soundtrack obviously rules.

I've been listening to the score of this to get to sleep for years, Ryuichi Sakamoto's best work for sure. Bloody good film, and Bowie, Tom Conti and Takeshi Kitano is a bit of casting so far up my street it's hard to believe it's real.

Also, Michael Kitchen in The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern calling it "Happy New Year, Mister Christmas" means I can't think of it any other way any more.

• Paid Members

The Quick and the Dead (Prince Charles Cinema)

I didn't have much interest in this when it came out, but the cinema screening tempted me - not least because I do like Sam Raimi. And it's enormously fun, feeling like it was a bit unjustly ignored at the time. It's also got one of those casts that has become significantly better since it originally came out, with Gene Hackman having huge fun as the lead villain, along with a pre-A-list Leonardo DiCaprio playing 'The Kid' and a pre-fame floppy-haired Russell Crowe playing the semi-romantic lead. It's all extremely silly, but has really nice moments throughout. I just found it really solidly enjoyable.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Quick and the Dead (Prince Charles Cinema)

I didn't have much interest in this when it came out, but the cinema screening tempted me - not least because I do like Sam Raimi. And it's enormously fun, feeling like it was a bit unjustly ignored at the time. It's also got one of those casts that has become significantly better since it originally came out, with Gene Hackman having huge fun as the lead villain, along with a pre-A-list Leonardo DiCaprio playing 'The Kid' and a pre-fame floppy-haired Russell Crowe playing the semi-romantic lead. It's all extremely silly, but has really nice moments throughout. I just found it really solidly enjoyable.

It's a fantastic, fun film and has a hell of a cast but it's from that period when studios were hiring Raimi to make studio films (Crimewave / Darkman) and they were ending up with this mish-mash of his OTT style and a mainstream film which pleased no one. I'm pretty sure it's entirely responsible for him dialing the crazy back and making the fantastic Simple Plan afterwards.

Also Gene Hackman having fun is a default 10/10 

• Paid Members

Reading up on some of the trivia, Sharon Stone was very hands-on as a producer in this, which makes it a shame it misfired somewhat. She insisted on Sam Raimi and Russell Crowe (who the studio balked at, because he was unknown) and paid for DiCaprio out of her own salary. In terms of making what should have been the right calls, her instincts were really impressive.