VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Finished off the Indiana Jones trilogy with the boy. I hadn't seen Last Crusade in a good few years, and it's not aged as well as the other two. The films have always been a bit hokey, but this is just a bit too silly in places. Considering Henry wasn't the go-getting adventurer Indy was, he's just far too casual about the danger around him, and his constant little quips make him a bit Jar Jar Binks. I still do like his delivery of "Our situation has not improved" though when they're in the burning room.

My favourite moment from watching it this time - which shows what an absolute nerd I am - was when he passes an painting of the Ark on the catacomb walls, and they sneak a bit of the Raiders soundtrack into it.

Also, purely because YouTube played me a clip and it got me curious, I watched The Wrath of Khan for the first time in 20+ years. This was far better than I remember it, and has aged pretty well.

For a start, it looks gorgeous. The sets, the models, the colourful nebulas and spacey stuff. Secondly, I'm an absolute sucker for a James Horner soundtrack, with it's rock shattering deep horns, and frantic sounding strings, and this sounds like it could be used to bridge Krull and Aliens into one massive suite.

Chekov's still a bit shit, and Sulu and Uhura don't get much to do, but Shatner's actually pretty good and doesn't over-Shatner it, particularly in his scenes with Spock, and Scotty does a good job considering he's mostly rehashing the same lines he gets every episode.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Finished off the Indiana Jones trilogy with the boy. I hadn't seen Last Crusade in a good few years, and it's not aged as well as the other two. The films have always been a bit hokey, but this is just a bit too silly in places. Considering Henry wasn't the go-getting adventurer Indy was, he's just far too casual about the danger around him, and his constant little quips make him a bit Jar Jar Binks. I still do like his delivery of "Our situation has not improved" though when they're in the burning room.

I rewatched them all earlier in the year and thought Raiders and Last Crusade had aged surprisingly well. Temple of Doom has aged really poorly though and is awful in parts.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than I remembered until the third act completely shits the bed.

9 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Chekov's still a bit shit, and Sulu and Uhura don't get much to do, but Shatner's actually pretty good and doesn't over-Shatner it, particularly in his scenes with Spock, and Scotty does a good job considering he's mostly rehashing the same lines he gets every episode.

Can’t remember where I heard it, but apparently the director would make Shatner repeat his scenes over and over to the point where he was all Shatnered out. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Can’t remember where I heard it, but apparently the director would make Shatner repeat his scenes over and over to the point where he was all Shatnered out. 

That's the bit where he tricks Khan into granting them remote access to the Reliant's controls. Shatner kept hamming it up, and they felt it made it seem obvious that Kirk was tricking them.

The scene when he’s in the tunnels under the planet and talking to his ex, is probably the best bit of acting Shatner’s done.  Really moving.

The Last Crusade is great, it might actually be my favourite but then I’m a huge Connery fan.  What an amazing actor he was.

On 8/22/2023 at 12:33 AM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

he's just far too casual about the danger around him,

But that's his character. He is someone who is more bothered by the chase of the grail, and doesn't realise just how dangerous this all is, so he would be quite cavalier about it all, even when being shot at. Same with Marcus. They're scholars, so it stands to reason that they would be fairly unaware of just how serious the situations are.

That's what makes the scene where he calls him Indiana and tells him to let it go so poignant. He finally realises that life and his family are more important than the pursuit of the glory.

God, what a film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Possessor - Loved it. Quite mad and trippy at times but not enough that you lose whats going on. Lots of gore but without veering properly into horror.

Really enjoyed Possessor, though my wife wasn't so keen on the gory moments. Turned out when she agreed to watch it with me she'd got it mixed up with a much older, tamer horror movie.

47 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Turned out when she agreed to watch it with me she'd got it mixed up with a much older, tamer horror movie.

Slightly related, but I once recommended someone at my old work Love, the wonderful Netflix comedy with Paul Rust and my wife Gillian Jacobs.

They watched Love, the Gaspar Noe film, which has I believe, unsimulated full penetrative sex.

Excellent. 

• Paid Members

I told my colleague to watch The Stranger on Netflix, a creepy effective little thriller with Joel Edgerton and Sean Harris. He told me the next day he'd only made it through 2 episodes and couldn't watch anymore. Turned out he was watching the ITV-esque Siobhan Finneran show of the same name.

He knew it was a film so why alarm bells didn't start ringing when the first episode ended, I don't know.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

They watched Love, the Gaspar Noe film, which has I believe, unsimulated full penetrative sex.

Amazing.  It literally opens with an erect penis being wanked off that fills up half the screen.  So I've heard.