WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

The series went on a serious slump though with SC4 & 5.

6 is a definite return to form imo.

Some Anime fighters are slso  loaded with content. The Blazblue series (the sequels anyway) in particular is great if you can tolerate the fan service and ridiculousness of it all. 

4 wasn't bad, but 5 was odd with going off in a different direction and sacking off some of the more popular characters. The AI felt far too "input reading" as well. Nowhere near as bad as the MK games, but still pretty annoying. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It looks like the new version of Virtua Fighter 5 has been gimped if you're an offline player, they've stripped away the Quest mode. Interestingly it's called e-Sports Edition or something very similar in Japan, very much an online only affair.

Oh what the fuck. I was getting really excited to jump into VF on PS Plus this week; it was the very first fighting series that I fell in love with as a kid but I'm still a button-bashing loser when it comes to fighting non-AI opponents. Utter bollocks to it all.

19 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Just booted up Xenoblade Chronicles X to make sure my Wii U is still working and was surprised to see that people are still playing it.

Problem with XCX is that it's one of those games I can't just jump back into after a long break, so now I'm torn over starting from scratch. 

I'm crossing my fingers for a Switch port as a Wii U is one of the few consoles I dont own.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 were amazing.

2 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

I'm crossing my fingers for a Switch port as a Wii U is one of the few consoles I dont own.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 were amazing.

It’s actually a really good time to pick up a Wii U, if you can justify the expense. The first party games, including Xenoblade Chronicles X, are all available at a reasonable price right now, but I can’t see that lasting long as the console is gradually phased out. I’ll go out on a limb and say there’s a good chance some of these titles will gain value over time, much as we’ve seen happen with the DS back catalogue.

Edited by RedRooster

If you’re looking for a good indie Pokémon knock-off, try Nexomon: Extinction. I’m playing it on Switch, but it’s available on other consoles and Steam, I believe. It’s available fairly cheaply, the story is pretty strong and strays away from the ‘collect badges and beat gym leaders’ formulae, and the script is genuinely funny, and made me laugh out loud quite a few times. It’s well worth your time. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I started playing The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing last night; I'd never heard of it, but the whole series was dirt cheap on GOG so I thought I'd give it a go. 

It has sod all to do with the Dracula story, so the Van Helsing branding was a bit disappointing, but it's basically a blatant carbon copy rip-off of Diablo. Luckily I bloody love Diablo. 

• Paid Members

Picked up Lego City Undercover on my XBox One in the Lego Games sale that seems to be permanently taking place. It feels a bit GTA Lego in places, but then there are bits that are just a Lego game. At least they keep all the platforming in 2D. The cutscenes are funny, the story is interesting. Worryingly it crashed on me at one point as well. I kind of wish I had the Wii U version as I hear there was some really good functionality involving the Wii U gamepad, and some nice little Nintendo themed in-jokes. 

Also picked up Tell Me Why for free as part of Microsoft's LGBTQIA+ spotlight event for Pride Month. It's an interesting game. I'm not far in, but it feels like it's going to pick up quite a bit as it goes on.

Got the premium edition of Dying Light with all the bells and whistles included at a discount price on the Xbox store. The perfect kind of game to sleep out on and discover years later. Considering it was 75% off, it's an amazing experience. Even though it's set in the Middle East it's got a distinctly European vibe about it. Kind of a mix of Fallout, 28 Days Later, City 17 from Half-Life 2 and any number of 70s spookers set in/showing a futuristic version of Europe. Just the synth music and the bleached out look of the whole thing, I guess. 

It's an imperfect open world oscillating between being stunning looking and ugly looking where you can sell, craft and jump up on really high things. The kind of shit I love, basically. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Got the premium edition of Dying Light with all the bells and whistles included at a discount price on the Xbox store. The perfect kind of game to sleep out on and discover years later. Considering it was 75% off, it's an amazing experience. Even though it's set in the Middle East it's got a distinctly European vibe about it. Kind of a mix of Fallout, 28 Days Later, City 17 from Half-Life 2 and any number of 70s spookers set in/showing a futuristic version of Europe. Just the synth music and the bleached out look of the whole thing, I guess. 

It's an imperfect open world oscillating between being stunning looking and ugly looking where you can sell, craft and jump up on really high things. The kind of shit I love, basically. 

I did the same on Steam. Unsure if it's down to my new PC but it runs smooth as silk, even better than I remembered.

• Paid Members

I completed Horizon Zero Dawn this week after buying the game a couple years back and losing interest a third of the way through. I picked it up again when the pandemic Winter began last year. Really beautiful game albeit with a slightly boring/ convoluted story. The writers could've easily binned a massive chunk of the warring tribes stuff and just stuck with the mystery behind the machines and Aloy's mother as the major storylines, but I guess they wanted to impress the world-building nerds and people who love reading gigantic text walls of lore.

The world feels empty but that works to it's merit considering the plot, and it feels fresh compared to other, more-overwhelming open-world games. It's the perfect podcast game too, especially when hunting for animal skins/machine parts, the hunting challenges, the various errands and all the collectibles. It's just a shame that my PS4 has all but given up the ghost, so the last 50 hours or so were spent with the extremely loud WWWHHHHHHIIIIIIRRRRRRRRR of a struggling console trying to circulate it's hot air. By that point I had lost interest in most of the story though, so it wasn't a big loss.

Oh, for anyone yet to get so far in the game, here's a warning; I 100%'ed the game and didn't get a trophy. I collected all the datapoints and books and weapons and outfits, and got fuck all for my efforts. Not getting a trophy for a large part of the collectibles is understandable. However, not getting a trophy for 100%'ing the game is deplorable. I was kicking myself for not checking the trophy list first before heading out to collect everything, because otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I LIVE for those satisfying achievement sounds. At least I got a Platinum, so there's that.

OH AND ANOTHER THING; the level cap is 50, and I maxed that out right before I hit the last quarter of the game with tons left to do. Apparently the DLC increases the cap so be sure to grab that if you plan on playing that ( a shithouse move, in my opinion). As for myself, my PS4 is on death's door so I'm planning to force my way through Spiderman and Doom (unless the noise of the fan is too much and I give up entirely)  before sending the bloody thing to CEX.

Edited by Accident Prone