WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Finished Immortals: Fenyx Rising today. Really enjoyed the puzzles, and quite enjoyed the story, but the combat pissed me off because it was very button mashy until I turned the difficulty down to Easy. 

Solid 8/10 game though

• Paid Members

Don't know whether I should put it in here, or in the retro gaming thread but I picked up Fallout New Vegas on XBox the other day. I'm terrible at it, even in easy but it feels a lot more linear than Fallout 3 and Skyrim, which is good for me because it doesn't mean I end up just acquiring quests left right and centre then forgetting where I'm up to. I've restarted about 5 times because I've not really known how I want to play but I've finally figured out how I want to play it, and am slowly making my way through it. 

40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Don't know whether I should put it in here, or in the retro gaming thread but I picked up Fallout New Vegas on XBox the other day. I'm terrible at it, even in easy but it feels a lot more linear than Fallout 3 and Skyrim, which is good for me because it doesn't mean I end up just acquiring quests left right and centre then forgetting where I'm up to. I've restarted about 5 times because I've not really known how I want to play but I've finally figured out how I want to play it, and am slowly making my way through it. 

You won't regret picking it up. In my opinion it's the best Fallout. 

• Paid Members

I am enjoying it so far. I'm trying to work on a build where I can talk my way out of situations, but can look after myself in a gunfight if it comes down to it. It's not going the way I anticipated. 

• Awards Moderator
On 23/01/2021 at 1:02 PM, Onyx2 said:

If Google doesn't drop Stadia like a stone in the next 18 months I'll be shocked. 

And sure enough, Google have shut their Game studio before it even released one title. The beginning of the end. 

https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-shuts-down-internal-studios-changing-bus-1846146761

There's definitely plenty of ways to play New Vegas, but for all its depth - and this is common with most modern action RPGs - you can basically sauce through it by picking a way you plan on killing things and then putting most of your skills into that. 

There's some great, great dialogue options in it too, mind you, so you definitely seem to be going about it the right way. But yeah, for all its subtle intricacies I couldn't help but notice with any of my builds how I'd be roaming the place with 8 different guns for each situation before long. 

Elder Scrolls is even worse for it. Most of the magic schools are completely negligible. Healing and destruction spells are fine but the rest? Who strolls around those games calming creatures and walking on water. Really. Do you ever need to detect life or illuminate a cave? 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

you can basically sauce through it by picking a way you plan on killing sniping things

All the Bethesda games are the same - easy mode is to craft a stealth sniper build, whether it's a bow or a rifle. 

The other stuff is all there for those wishing to role play a bit. 

I picked up a Series S last week and got the 3 months of Game Pass for £1 deal going. What follows is my review of the system and also game pass:

"mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

I went from the 360 to the PS4 so there's a lot on there I missed. Already rattled through Gears 5 and the Hivebusters DLC campaign. Got the Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 waiting in the wings as well as The Medium.

The Medium looks excellent, it's one of the few times I've pined for an Xbox.

I've just completed Jedi: Fallen Order with an 80p months subscription to EA Play. It's ok, tries too hard to be both Uncharted and Dark Souls without being quite as good as either. It becomes far more fun as you learn new skills and the ability to recharge your force with the estus flasks.

The cancelled GoldenEye remaster for the 360's Xbox Live Arcade has surfaced! It's exactly what you'd want. The source code of the original preserved, but with Halo controls and with the assets touched up so it doesn't look garbage on a modern TV. 

PlayStation have done that wrap up again this week for last year. I’m still not sure how accurate they are because 127 hours on Fifa seems both inaccurate and shameful for how shit I am at it. 61 hours of Ghost of Tsushima won’t be far off mind so who knows. Reckons I had 500 odd hours on it too which is more or less the same as last year.

I’m properly balls deep in to Bloodborne now. I’ve clearly over levelled because I’ve just done back to back bosses on my first go (Witches and Electric dog thingy). The Witches were a joke but the electric dog thing  was quite challenging but follows the same pattern as all the other bosses, swipe, swipe, big charge attack that leaves it open for a charged counter attack followed by a few jabs then dodge away and take blood vile. I’ve fucked around in the Forbidden Woods for a bit and got the feeling I was near a boss but keep on getting fucked or lost. It’s a great game, I hear the second half is mad so looking forward to pushing on.

I do wonder how Elden Ring will turn out. A massive part of these games is the ambiguity behind the story, there’s so much to find but you really have to rinse them to get everything lore wise. Surely they’re not going to change track and get a bit PlayStation-y with big cinematics etc but why bother getting George RR Martin on board? It would be quite funny if all his story work was scattered around in note form under a bunch of dead birds or hinted at with a trinket attached to a dead child’s body.