WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

9 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

14 hours into Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth and only on Chapter 4! 

When I play this series of games I always make sure to clear all the available sub stories before moving onto the next Story check point but there’s so much more to do then that, the game is ridiculously good.

How many chapters are there? I have to admit, I find games that long a bit off-putting these days, I just don’t have time for it!

• Paid Members
On 1/25/2024 at 2:41 PM, Merzbow said:

Also, months after that huge merger with Activision..

The spirit of Bobby Kotick lives on...

I visited Dondoko Island on Infinite Wealth this evening (you're forced to go there at the start of chapter 6). It's pretty much a full-on Animal Crossing / Stardew Valley knockoff where you slowly clear parts of the island, build lodgings to attract visitors, then build facilities and entertainment to keep everyone happy and, in turn, attract more visitors. I found a blueprint for a bondage chair in a bottle on the beach, so I'm hoping to create a sleazy S&M dungeon area at some point. There's so much to do that it blows my mind to think that this is just a "small" part of the overall game. You can travel to and from Hawaii to carry on with the story whenever you want, but I reckon I'll be quite happy staying here for a fair while yet.

Late to the party with Alan Wake 2. I played through the remastered version of the first game in preparation.

I'm not sure if I mean this calendar year or 2023, but whatever I mean, it's my game of the year (and in the face of some stiff competition). I have never seen anything quite as great as the 'We Sing' chapter in a video game: the most ingenious tutorial/refresher ever?

Away to practice the dance to 'Herald of Darkness' in the mirror. Again.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

The Persona 3 remake is looking good as hell, currently standing at an 89 on Metacritic.

Saw it lands (I hope it doesn’t get, erm, something or other) on GamePass in a few days. Checked the trailer and it seems you play as a Japanese schoolgirl. Think I’ll pass. 

15 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

Late to the party with Alan Wake 2. I played through the remastered version of the first game in preparation.

I've tried getting into the first game, to no avail. I was promised Twin Peaks, but I don't feel like - from what I've played - that it managed to do that. With that in mind, is there even any point trying the sequel? It sounds creative as hell, so I'd kind of like to, but I'm certainly apprehensive. 

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Saw it lands (I hope it doesn’t get, erm, something or other) on GamePass in a few days. Checked the trailer and it seems you play as a Japanese schoolgirl. Think I’ll pass. 

The original P3 is the game that actually got me into turn based RPG's, in a big way. It's a classic. 

No need to worry about them, other than some expected cultural quirks, the Persona games are nowhere near as 'awkward' as the Yakuza/Like a Dragon games. I'm going to play the hell out of P3R. 

Anyway, I've been using a much needed break to play Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth (PS5) and it has taken the previous game (which I believe I described as a solid foundation) and improved on it, in pretty much every way.

Combat has been improved in almost every aspect, haven't run into any obnoxious difficulty/grind spikes, even the dungeons have been improved.

Story is solid as expected with overall better pacing, it does still take a little while to pick up steam but the intro is interesting enough to cover for that. 

Love the new characters and the returning characters are as strong as ever. 

Game is fucking massive. Those wanting something tighter/smaller might want to stay away. Saying that though, I'm on chapter 11 with 30 odd hours invested, so the main story can probably be done within a decent enough time, especially if you are familiar with turn based RPG's. 

New setting is nice but doesn't hit quite the same as the Japanese locations, imo. 

Edit. 

Oh and you play as a boy in P3R. P3 Portable is the only version that allowed you to pick the MC's gender. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

Enjoying Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth but maybe not as much as the last one. For the first time in a series that’s always packed with stuff I’m getting a feeling of there being just too much. 
A full Pokemon style side game and a full Animal Crossing style side game plus all the other bells and whistles and I’m feeling overwhelmed. I got my island to 1 Star last night and left it and I’ve barely touched the Sujimon game outside of recruiting enemies and playing the gatcha machine.

The story is interesting but the location isn’t doing a whole lot for me. You’d think I’d be sick of Kamurocho by now but that isn’t the case. I think Hawaii is showing off some weaknesses in the Yakuza series, especially when it comes to character models and empty areas.

The combat is a bunch of fun though and the job system is interesting. I might finish the story and then do a new game + to get stuck into the side games properly.

56 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I've tried getting into the first game, to no avail. I was promised Twin Peaks, but I don't feel like - from what I've played - that it managed to do that. With that in mind, is there even any point trying the sequel? It sounds creative as hell, so I'd kind of like to, but I'm certainly apprehensive. 

If you couldn't get into the first game, I imagine you won't enjoy the sequel, or life generally for that matter. ;) Imo Alan Wake 1 is one of the best games ever made.

I still haven't managed to play number 2 due to my free code not working and me being cheap, but I anticipate it being amazing, as Remedy games usually are.  

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’m playing Alan Wake at the moment for the first time. I’m going to move straight on to 2 once I’ve finished it, so I’ll let you know how similar and/or different they are. I’m enjoying the first one for the most part. It’s like Luigi’s Mansion, if Luigi had an LSD episode.