WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Continuing my Meta Quest 2 VR escapades today while I'm still off work.

Been bowling. Played some more table tennis against a cat. Quite frankly I'm getting to do all the things I like to do without leaving the house. Even watched a movie in a fake cinema. Fancy. I just need a VR chip shop and I'm set.

I did buy a rock music add on for Beat Saber because that's more my kind of music. So obviously I've been winding myself up by playing Free Bird, which as we all know is a fucking long song, and then just missing one or two boxes and raging..

.. haven't had this much fun since the Wii probably!

• Paid Members

Dave the Diver - bought it before Xmas, played it a ridiculous amount. I just love that every so often it completely changes into a different thing to do. 

Spider-Man 2 - Xmas present off my wife. Only played the first two hours. It's Spider-Man. Web swinging and the new traversal technique is a lot of fun, as expected. 

Interested to see where the story goes. 

• Awards Moderator
13 hours ago, Loki said:

There are three different settings buttons on the remote, each leading to a different menu

The irony is that they have simultaneously created the best remote of all time and yet refuse to ensure it works with all their tellies. 

20231229_124223_copy_600x1067.thumb.jpg.e1b2e241acda66cfc5ef7b32708c57cf.jpg

This one came with the Samsung in the living room. It's amazing. Infrared AND Bluetooth so you don't need to point it at the screen, incredibly simple, intuitive, no shit sponsored butttons. 

It doesn't work with the one in the kitchen, which has the monstrosity you usually get. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So what is a good TV brand to get then? Coming from someone who is very frustrated at the lack of Disney and Plex apps on my Panasonic.

I’ll be hones Chest, get a decent TV, don’t think about the smart features. Most TV’s get dropped with App support within a few years. Best bet is to instead get a Fire Stick/Roku/Apple TV. My TV is now 10 years old, all the apps stopped working after 3 years, seems to be the norm.

Also, yes that takes a HDMI port up, but I got myself a HDMI switch hub which turns one slot into 3. The only thing I had to buy was an HDMI elbow adapter because the fire stick takes up just over a port on its own and it stopped me plugging in the other devices.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Good to know. I'm not in the market for a new TV at the minute, but was just frustrated by the lack of app support. I still think it's total bullshit, but good to know that I'm not suffering particularly because of my choice in tv.

It may have changed more recently, but there was a big scandal about it a few years ago in the papers and on watchdog about Smart TV's no longer being smart. Think of it similar to an Iphone or Android device (which i know a lot of TV's use). Eventually the software can't update against the firmware. I find with streaming devices they tend to have a longer life (though my Apple TV from 2008 ish has a lot of apps which no longer work, but I can still airplay to it). But even if you had a firestick which was no longer supported you could just buy a new one and plug it in and it would be far cheaper than buying a new TV. My current TV is a 3D one so when I upgrade that won't be an option so just holding on to it for the time being as we still watch films on it.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It may have changed more recently, but there was a big scandal about it a few years ago in the papers and on watchdog about Smart TV's no longer being smart.

IIRC it was YouTube dropping support for a ton of old TVs, with no way to upgrade, that got a lot of publicity.

11 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The software on every smart TV I've ever used, cheap or expensive, is complete shit. Always slow as fuck and unresponsive. 

I actually never even realised this until I couldn't get Netflix to work one day on my TV and then tried it on something else. The speed and responsiveness in comparison was night and day.

• Paid Members

Got gifted 40 Steam Bucks as a late Xmas present from my sister-in-law today, and I'm over the moon. Looking at Steamdeck-able titles in the Winter sale, I've got Elden Ring, Doom, and Wolfenstein: The New Order in my basket right now with a few dollarbucks left over. I'm thinking of going a little over and grabbing either the Halo: MasterChef Collection or Rogue Legacy 2. I'm open to suggestions too if anybody has an under-the-radar essential game in the £3-£4 mark.

Either way, I'm well chuffed. God I love the Steam Deck, I feel like I've only scratched the surface with it.

Edited by Accident Prone

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm open to suggestions too if anybody has an under-the-radar essential game in the £3-£4 mark.

Broforce is only £2.55, and it’s great fun - particularly in co-op. It’s a fast-paced old school run ‘n’ gun game, and I loved it despite not having much nostalgia for that genre. 

Not a Hero is £3.35. It’s a bit of a weird one to explain as far as the plot goes, but gameplay wise it’s basically a 2D Hotline Miami. I played the absolute shit out of it when it first came out on the PS4, and at that price I’ll be playing the shit out of it again on my Steam Deck. It’s loads of fun.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is, to me, the very definition of an overlooked gem. It’s only £2.99 right now. The game is co-written by Alex Garland (the guy behind Ex Machina, Annihilation and Men) and as a result has a very strong story. I guess it’s essentially a hack ‘n’ slash game, although that description in itself does it a bit of a disservice. It’s also quite short, meaning it’s potentially a great ‘palate cleanser’ between some of the games you’ve already bought. It works great on the Deck, so you’ll have no issues there.

What an ace little game, it's up there with NieR: Automata for just perfectly written action games. I've gone and started redownloading it now.. not like I have a million other games still unfinished or anything.

One of which is Dragon Age 2 - The best Dragon Age. Yeah yeah.. I know it's a much smaller game and you're going through copy & pasted areas a lot but I find the characters and story are just so much better told than the other two which for me fall in to the tropes of generic fantasy far too much (less said about the way they handle relationships, too).

Edited by Merzbow