UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ 🏝🌴

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

im doing the same Gooner, work at 8.30am. Im gonna try getting some shut eye before the show though.

Β 

IMG_20200711_121754.jpg

I'm gonna do the same man if allowed, hopefully kids go to bed, keep quiet and sleep, if not gonna have to be a all nighter, be finished tomorrow body wise but worth it.Β 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

You liked it when Tom Watson wore that Kong mask, right?Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

speaking of which, I wonder if we'll still see Watson/Reid II?Β 

97546DCC-E44C-4A41-9923-5405F0E5938B.gif

For whatever it’s worth, today isΒ 5 years to the day since UFC 189 with the epic Lawler vs Rory 2 fight and one of the best cards the UFC has ever put on top to bottom. It’s alsoΒ 11 years to the day since UFC 100 and Brock caving Mir’s face in. So July 11th has been good to big UFC shows. Got a feeling this one carries on that trend.Β 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I haven't watched an entire UFC show live - or otherwise - since UFC 200.Β 

Fucking casual.

Nah IΒ can see why 200 put you off doing that again. I can’t think of another big card thatΒ promised so much and delivered so little. A right slog. And to top it off, the earwax yellow canvas gave me a headache.Β 

A00B9C9F-2BDA-4E05-A096-4764AC7331CF.jpeg

• Paid Members

Well, the main event played out in the manner that was safest to predict. Masvidal clearly came out early looking to land something big and had good opener but it left him tiredΒ having to deal with a guy comfortable pressing against him and doing damage against the cage, Masvidal is just savvy enough to avoid big damage and keep himself out of real bad positions. Good performance from Usman but it unfortunately likely leads to some more indifference from the fans.Β 

Volkanovski/Holloway will be the talking point. I thought the judges had it right, 48-47 for Volkanovski. 2 clear rounds for Max before Volkanovski woke up in the 3rd and I had him winning the last 3 rounds. Interestingly it was 5th round the judges split and gave Holloway the fight on one card, thought that was a clear Volkanovski round.

Yan was fairly dominant. Aldo had a tremendous round 2 as he did against Moraes and faded badly after that. Aldo has always struggled down the stretch and he paid dearly here, that finish was long, drawn out and brutal.

oh, and Jiri Prochaska 😐 fucking hell.

• Paid Members

A very forgettable fight but Usman went about it in the smartest way possible by grappling with Masvidal and wearing him down to the point he wasn't really offering much. Taking a fight against cardio machine like Usman on such short notice was always going to be near impossible if it went into the 3rd and beyond.

I scored the fight for Volkanovski. 3rd round was tight but 4 and 5, Volkanovski clearly sussed out Holloway. I was hoping Max would have won because I'm well up for a 3rd fight between these two. Hopefully Jon "Life At the Outpost"Β Anik started shushing Holloway towards the end.

• Paid Members

I reluctantly had it 48-47 for Volkanovski too. I was really hoping Max would win. Holloway clearly had the first two rounds. At the time watching it this morning, I felt Volkanovski or Holloway could have easily been given round three and it would be hard to argue either way, yet I ticked it up to Volkanovski. Volkanovski then won round four and I was getting worried that Max and his corner would think he was 3-1 up and maybe coast. It seemed to me that whoever won that round was going to win the fight, and it was close but it was Volkanovski that took the fifth.Β 

It's weird though, it's another argument against the ten point must system. To me, Holloway clearly won the fight if you score it overall, but not round by round. All rounds that have the same score aren't really created equal, but yet there is no way to show this. Volkanovski's rounds 4 and 5 weren't as big as 1&2 for Holloway with the knock-downs, but in a 10 point must system, it doesn't matter. And MMA doesn't seem to reward 10-8's for brief KO's, only for near finishes.

Volkanovski edged it for me round by round, but by the tiniest of tiny margins. Just disappointed that Holloway is frozen out now at 145, and there's no call for a third fight.Β 

Edited by WeeAl

Gonna ignore the fights here for a minute but for all the hype, this show fair felt the same as any other eh?Β 

I don't understand the point in Fight Island other than them being able to use the bigger cage now to be honest? Could have ran that show in the Apex and it wouldn't have been any different. What a waste of money.

I don't know what I was expecting but certainly not what we got. If anything, the Apex is more enjoyable as the smaller cage means you get more action.

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

It was always going to be a deliberate con job by the UFC to try and make people believe that Fight Island was going to be something unique looking and different. That was never going to happen. They seem to take pride in the aesthetics of every show being almost exactly the same every single time out.Β 

They could have, and should have made an exception in this case, but they clearly like their production, even if it doesn't help some shows or some fights to feel more big time than others. Maybe it's that they don't want the less important shows to feel any less significant than they already do in comparison to the bigger ones, but I feel that's kind of a negative way of doing things, if that's part of their thinking.Β 

• Paid Members

The point of Fight Island was to get all the European/AustralasianΒ fighters on shows because its difficult to get them over into the US. Obviously the marketing and hype of got abit out of control and peoples imaginations got carried away, but from the very start the UFC explained what it was actually gonna be. It's going to continue after these 4 shows too, I think Dana said they'll at least use it until the end of the year.