UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 🇦🇪 🏝🌴

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jiri! 😀

Holloway did much better than most expected. I had him winning rounds 1 and 2, and Volk winning 4 and 5. The 3rd round was very close. I would have been fine if the judges had scored it either way. A draw would have been the fairest result in my view. 

• Moderators

Felt overall it wasn't that great of a night of fights, maybe that has something to do with the bigger cage, or just because of the closeness of the matchups.

I thought Rose did enough to win, but that third round wasn't great for her at all. If that had been a 5 rounder I think Rose would've lost.

Holloway/Volkanovski was very close, although for me Holloway won that third round. Wasn't anywhere near as good a fight as the first. Just felt more of a cautious fight with not a ton of action. I would be ok with a third fight, but I don't know how you really sell that other than "the judges got it wrong" which is a weak way to sell a fight to me.

My boy Petr Yan got it done. I was worried for him initially as he didn't look as sharp as usual and Aldo was looking tasty.

I never bet on MMA, also pretty much illegal here, but I would definitely put a solid 50 bones on Usman by decision.

^^ get more of these takes on my new podcast "Big Benno's Breakdown"

Despite it going the way I thought it would, I didn't think Usman looked as good as in his last couple of fights. His striking looked a bit shit and I was concerned that Masvidal was going to catch him when Usman would throw a punch, lead with his head, and then throw the overhead hook. Overall not really a "loss" for Masvidal though, I'm sure he got paid a ton, didn't take a ton of damage, and given the short timeframe I doubt fans will look at this loss as tarnishing his image.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, neil said:

Felt overall it wasn't that great of a night of fights

that was the overwhelming feeling on Twitter too. Until the main event I thought it was a real solid show, the first two title fights delivered, the Rose/Andrade fight was excellent and Ribas had a bit a starmaking performance in the opener. The 3 prelims I saw were all good as well.

I think it just goes to show how a poor main event can effect peoples opinion on a show, send them home happy and all of that. It also didn't help that the show went so long, that's the danger of having 3 title fights on one show. I watched it live and the main show finished at 7am, think it left alot of people tired and frustrated.

Edited by Egg Shen

The high point (or low point depending on how you look at it) of the prelims for me was the third round of Santos vs Bogatov where Bogatov had two points deducted for two low blows and an illegal knee to the head. An amazing bit of shithousery that had Marc Goddard repeatedly asking him "What are you doing?" while Santos lay crumpled on the mat.

• Paid Members

Usman vs Masvidal went how it should’ve gone. I know Egg said Usman by decision was the safe pick but there was good reason for that with the way the styles matched up plus Masvidal having no training camp. Masvidal started strong as you’d expect. I think he obviously knew that with no camp, his best chance was to just throw the kitchen sink at Usman early and hope something pays off. It didn’t and Usman predictably took over. Wasn’t the most entertaining fight and I see there’s loads of moaning about it but whatever. Usman did what he needed to do. He’s coming off one of the best fights of 2019 against Covington. I’ll give him a pass for this, especially considering he was training for Gilbert Burns up until 6 days out. This wasn’t ideal for anyone.

Fair play to Masvidal. I know I like to take the piss but he gave it a go, it didn’t work. But I like the way he’s handled it post-fight. No excuses or bitterness and he’s taken it on the chin.

For 170 now, I think you have to do Usman vs Burns next. Beyond that, I’d do Edwards vs Covington and maybe Masvidal vs Diaz 2. And if Mike Perry doesn’t get the sack I’d have Robbie Lawler slap him about.

I also didn’t think Volkanovski vs Holloway 2 was as good as the first fight, despite being closer. I had Volk winning but looking on social media everyone seems to be screaming robbery. Seems most of you on here had it for Volk as well though. Definitely comes down to that third round for me. Might rewatch it in the week but on first watch I felt like Volkanovski just edged it. I think WeeAl’s spot on though on the 10 point system. Holloway’s rounds were much more emphatic but it’s not reflected on the scorecards. Gutted for Max, to be honest. That’s him shut out of the title picture for a while now. Already seen Korean Zombie angling for the next crack at the belt. I could see it happening but I was really hoping we’d get that Zombie vs Ortega fight they’ve been teasing forever.

Yan vs Aldo was my FOTN. As high as I’ve been on Yan since pretty much his UFC debut, I had my doubts he would have what it took to beat Aldo. Say what you want about Aldo losing a step, he was still quite a step up from the guys Yan had previously beaten and even then I seem to recall one of them (Dodson?) dropping him. Yan levelled up last night though. The finish was difficult to watch. Rough seeing Aldo get beat to a pulp like that. Leon Roberts is getting a lot of shit today, including from Dana himself.

This nob popped up on Twitter as usual;

E94-A1718-C4-DD-403-B-B554-85-F13-C16806

This cunt put the ‘ego’ in LEGO. Just has to make it about himself. 

What’s the point relinquishing the belt, ‘retiring’ and making it vacant, waiting for a new champ to be crowned, then challenging for it? Weirdo. I hope that’s not next. I’d much rather see Yan vs Sterling now.

Namajunas vs Andrade 2 was fucking class. Had a good feeling about this one from the moment it was announced. The first fight was shaping up to be a war but got cut short with that slam. This was just the continuation of it. Tremendous fight. Thought both looked great. Had Rose taking the first 2 rounds though so 29-28. Her eye looked vile though.

BEFDAE7-C-5-EC0-4-A58-A8-E5-DB9-E7-E0-CF

So they’re 1-1. I’m well up for the trilogy decider somewhere down the line. Preferably over 5 rounds. Loved this fight. I’m guessing we probably get Zhang vs Rose next.

Amanda Ribas most likely just sent Paige packing. I said it before but there’s a reason they booked this as Paige’s last fight on her contract. If your last fight is coming up and you start on about free agency, you can guarantee you’re getting a badass they’re trying to build up. Dana’s post-fight comments seem to indicate they’re not going to fight to keep Paige. He said something like “yeah, she should probably test free agency”. I expect to see her in Bellator soon. As for Ribas, I think she’s legit. I think this fight kind of made her look a tad better than she is because I don’t think Paige’s heart is in MMA anymore. But regardless, I see Ribas doing pretty well for herself.

Jiri Prochazka has arrived.

57A38D0C-27AA-4762-997F-24A16F807C1C.gif

Brutal KO. Really thought Volkan might prove too much for his debut but Jiri’s weird style seemed to throw Volkan off just a step and, of course, Jiri has the punching power to compliment that awkwardness perfectly. Seeing all sorts today ranging from ‘he’s the man to stop Jon Jones’ all the way down to ‘he’s crap/Volkan is no good etc’. I don’t agree with either. It’s early to say but I think he’ll fall somewhere in the middle. Everyone has to have an extreme ‘hot take’ on social media though, don’t they? I’m blaming this all on Volkan trying to grow his hair in. What was that? It’s like Samson in reverse. Get it shaved.

Oh and I’ve decided we need to see Jiri vs Johnny Walker next. How wonderfully weird would that be?

Muslim Salikhov vs Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos was pretty much exactly as I expected. Highly competitive, highly technical, razor close striking battle. Didn’t quite catch fire like I hoped but I really enjoyed it. Love watching Salikhov especially. He’s become must see for me wherever he’s placed on a card. The ‘spinning shit’ is always nice but there’s so many other little tricks he pulls in there, offensively and defensively, that I get a kick out of. It’s a joy watching him strike. The same feeling I get watching Joanna Jedrzejczyk. They bring a whole different level of striking techniques to MMA. All that said, I think I had Dos Santos just edging this one. Wasn’t the robbery I’ve seen some claim online but I felt he just shaded it.

Makwan Amirkhani put Danny Henry into a deep sleep with that anaconda. Nicely done. As I’ve said in pretty much every preview for Amirkhani’s fights, he was considered a hot prospect at one point and seems a top bloke with it. Hopefully he can stay healthy and active now and put a run together.

Don’t know how many of you saw it but, like Neil said, Davey Grant vs Martin Day on Fight Pass was such a fun fight. Great to see Grant pick up the big finish as well.

ABF682BF-14AC-443C-B23C-5305D4945BF6.gif

Some KO it was.

Not the best show of the year or anything. And after the Zhang vs Joanna FOTY contender at 248, a ridiculously good 249 and a 250 that exceeded expectations, this one didn’t live up to that standard. But like Egg says, it was a very solid show up until the main event. 

Decent event, with the fights pretty much going as I figured they would. 

Jose Aldo looked good early doors I thought, but it's clear that the years of insane training and fighting really top guys has taken its toll. Anik kept pushing the "he's only 33" angle, but it's 33 hard MMA years. He's 34 in a few months.

He's far from done, but he looks battle-worn now. He's spent the better part of eleven years fighting the very best in the world. Where next for him? I always fancied a McGregor rematch, maybe in Dublin, but he seems happier down a weightclass, while McG is much bigger now.

Petr Yan looked good, but he didn't look as invincible as he has in the past. He was there to be hit, and he was troubled by those kicks. I reckon Cejudo would have watched that fight and thought "I could take him."

Rose Namajunas looked her usual skilful self, even if she did look a bit wobbly at the end. Her class shone through, and I think a fight between her and Weili will be an interesting matchup. Reckon I'd favour Weili for that one, but it will be a good fight.

I had Volkanovski winning the fight with Holloway by 3 rounds to 2. Gave Max the first two rounds, gave Volk the last three. I've seen people online talking about Holloway "clearly" winning the fight, which is bollocks for me.

I also found myself getting a bit cheesed off with Bisping in the commentary for this fight. He was talking as if Volkanovski was just there to make up the numbers. You'd think Holloway was walking the fight going by his commentary. Pretty poor from Mike, but I've sensed a definite slip in his performances in the booth of late. 

The Usman fight went as I thought it would. Masvidal is tough, he's not a guy Usman is going to knock out. Short of him getting Jorge in enough trouble on the floor with strikes that the ref stepped in it was always going to be a decision.

Don't think Masvidal had anything for Marty. A relatively easy day at the office. He could probably have stepped on the gas a bit more and pushed the issue, but is it worth the risk? Get paid your money, go home, get ready to face Gilbert Burns.

Masvidal is decent, but there's levels to this sport, and he's not top level. never has been. And no amount of new-found character is going to change that. He entertaining, but he ain't "baptizing" anyone at the top of the game. 

A rematch with Nate possibly awaits, or even a McG fight for that ridiculous belt. It would do great numbers, be an exciting fight, and I think it's the level both guys are at now. They're not top of the division elite. Neither of them is beating the respective champions in their divisions.

I'm gutted that Masvidal lost, I'm not surprised but I'm still upset by it. Especially at how boring the fight was, Usman did his thing, I can't fault that but it was frustrating to watch.

I loved how stacked the card was to start but I don't think I want to see 3 title fights on a card ever again. It gets a bit too tiresome when they all go nearly 5 rounds. Maybe if 2 of them ended before the 3rd round or something I would have a different tune. 

I have to disagree with you all and say I had Holloway winning that fight. I need to re-watch round 3 but I definitely had him winning at the time and I was screaming robbery at the TV screen when it happened.

I loved the Rose/Andrade fight and Ribas's ground game was brilliant. I'm looking forward to seeing her fight again.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

ive got a lot of time for Amanda Ribas, she came off real well in the post-fight interview. She's happy in that giddy Junior Dos Santos type of way, better looking too.

Yeah, she’s ace. She always seems to be bursting with positive energy and happiness. Can’t help but like her. Definitely JDS vibes there.

0-E12-F11-B-130-A-42-D8-B741-DB8-AAAB247

100-1 record as well. And legitimately fighting ‘on the island’. She’s putting Thomas Ramirez to shame with that record. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

A rematch with Nate possibly awaits, or even a McG fight for that ridiculous belt. It would do great numbers, be an exciting fight, and I think it's the level both guys are at now. They're not top of the division elite. Neither of them is beating the respective champions in their divisions.

I could definitely see McGregor vs Masvidal happening next with all the BMF trimmings. Gives them both something to do while the title pictures work themselves out in their respective divisions and no doubt it’d be a big payday for both. I think a lot is going to depend on what Khabib does now. If he’s still planning to fight Gaethje in September then I reckon there’s a strong chance we’ll be seeing McGregor vs Masvidal. But if Khabib takes more time off to grieve his Dad’s death then I wouldn’t be shocked if the UFC push forward with a Gaethje vs McGregor fight in the meantime. There are a few ways it could go. Maybe even Masvidal vs Covington as an outsider. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, i dont think Masvidal's stock went down at all last night. If anything it probably went up cause he stepped up against a beast like Usman and give it a good go, it plays into the BMF thing. The UFC should just use him as an attraction and make some fun stylistic fights and sell some PPV's. Leave Usman/Burns/Edwards etc. to sort out the title situation

Edited by Egg Shen