UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 🇦🇪 🏝🌴

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, SBD said:

Looking at getting the BT Sports app for this fight for anyone who has it how long after it has aired live is it up on the app

Thanks

It'll be up by the next morning. I usually use the app, and I'm watching by about 11am or so.

• Paid Members

Oh he made weight. But look at him here looking like Bruiser Brody in his casket trying to get down to 170.

CED87828-29-E5-44-A2-9023-98-BE6-D153059

Was that ‘super necessary?’

I think we’re going to look back on this as a mistake come Sunday morning. It’s more than just a case of making weight on the scales. It’s doing it in a way where you minimise the depletion of your health and conditioning so you can perform at your highest level the following day. And on 6 days notice I’m struggling to see how Masvidal comes in with a full energy bar tomorrow night. How can he? Barring him catching Usman with something wild early on, I think he’s in for a long miserable night. People can point to Bisping’s short notice KO over Rockhold but that’s kind of my point. If Bisping didn’t put Rockhold away early on that glorious night, I’m sure the lack of prep time would’ve become a detriment as the fight wore on. And that’s Bisping who was notorious for his stamina and pace and staying in the gym. And Bisping had at least been training cardio to keep his weight down for that movie he was filming when the call came to fight Rockhold. Masvidal’s cardio has never been bad but I doubt he’s coming in with the kind of wind Bisping had. I‘ve got a feeling this ‘Masvidal was secretly training’ thing they’re putting out isn’t fully true either. Nothing he was saying or doing in the weeks before Burns pulled out gave the impression he was training or expecting to jump in. He’s just seized an opportunity.

I could be wrong on all of this, obviously. But I think a lot of people are clutching at straws hoping Masvidal wins. If he pulls it off, I think it’ll have to be early. But ask yourself how often you see Usman get caught clean and how often he looks vulnerable in fights. Then ask yourself how many times that’s happened early in a fight. The deck is stacked against Masvidal here whether people want to admit it or not. Even with a full 8-10 week camp I think he’d be in an uphill battle.

What do people think Masvidal was doing a month ago? Or a week ago? Because we know Usman was grafting in some sweatbox gym and preparing for worst case scenarios to deal with a BJJ world champion and knockout artist in Gilbert Burns. Meanwhile in Miami...

03059D62-7C38-401C-91BC-C463886C661B.jpeg

On 7/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, David said:

It'll be up by the next morning. I usually use the app, and I'm watching by about 11am or so.

Is it spoiler free on the app these days? A few years back you couldn’t seem to watch it without having at least 3 fights spoiled beforehand.

16 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Is it spoiler free on the app these days? A few years back you couldn’t seem to watch it without having at least 3 fights spoiled beforehand.

It is, but don't scroll too far down, as they sometimes use action shots from the fights to advertise replays etc.

• Paid Members

It’s the right move but I’m happy to see this. Hopefully plans don’t change;

3-B9-FB245-F25-E-4352-8-D58-8-A0919-AB06

Masvidal has already thrown it out there that he’d be happy to give Nate Diaz a title shot if he wins tomorrow night. Yes, Nate Diaz who’s won one fight since the McGregor rematch nearly four fucking years ago. Nate Diaz who Masvidal just dominated less than a year ago already. While the likes of Gilbert Burns and Leon Edwards are still right there waiting in the wings. Fuck me, Colby Covington should absolutely get a shot way before Nate. And you know I loathe that wanker. But fair’s fair. He was on quite a run going into the Usman fight and despite the brutal (and beautiful) ending, I had it 2-2 going into that last round. He’s still right in and about that title mix. One win over one of the other top players mentioned and I think he could slot straight into another title shot. Burns was saying the other day that he hopes Masvidal doesn’t win because he thinks the division will become a circus with Jorge just wanting silly defences against the Diaz’s and McGregors of the world. Don’t get me wrong, I’d totally get it from Jorge’s POV. As champ he’d get PPV so he’ll want the names. But Christ, when the title is held up because of it, it’ll get tiresome fast for me that. They should just create a fucking ‘moving the needle’ belt or ‘buyrate’ belt or whatever for that other pish.

Ideally, I’d have Burns face the winner of Usman vs Masvidal. And in the meantime I’d try to put Covington vs Edwards together. Preferably over 5 rounds to determine the next in line after Burns. That’s the way it should go, IMO. Plenty of interesting fights there and all 5 names are there on merit and fully deserve to be in the title shot convo. If Conor and Nate want a payday then let them fight each other. They’re 1-1 anyway. Why not? Or Conor can sit out on death row waiting for that Khabib shaped electric chair and Nate can keep smoking that last few remaining brain cells away.