UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ๐ŸŒด

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:20 AM, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Doesn't bother me too much personally. Volko vs. Holloway 2 was my real main event on this show, I even wrote it as such on my calendar. There's still a ton of star power and two title fights to kick things off on Fight Island. Usman and Burns can be re-done in a month or so to boost another PPV. No point moving mountains in this climate.

I do enjoy fighters getting all chirpy when they know there's little chance of them actually getting the call. It's a bit of a McGregor tactic to keep their name in the spotlight. No way would Covington or Masvidal jump in THAT quickly to make championship weight, unless they got paid handsomely, and as you guys say,ย Dana's not desperate here.

Well, I was completely fucking wrong.ย ๐Ÿ˜‚

I still believe the card didn't need it, Volko vs. Holloway 2 and Yan vs. Aldo would have been an excellent 1-2 punch that would have done good numbers, but Street Jesus stepping in, appearing to have a bit of a belly (in his street clothes, at least), just made this card must see. I went back last night and watched Masvidal vs. Diaz. Putting aside the silly BMF promotion and the incompetence of the NYSAC, it was a masterful performance by Jorge. Up next I'm going to go back and watch UFC 245 again. I watched it back fairly recently, but I'll never tire of seeing Usman break Colby's jaw.

This is going to be the first PPV I've bought in probably about a year. I've been doing it tough financially for a while- health problems keeping me away from work for a long time, plus getting burnt by a friend who owes me a lot of money. I finally managed to return to work about 3 weeks ago, then had a quick trip to hospital, and back to work last week... perfect timing to shell out the money for a PPV. Got my uncle- who's more like a big brother- coming over to watch too. We both love watching UFC and have gone to a couple of shows when the Octagon has traveled Down Under. He's going to chip in for some pizza, going to be a good day!

ย 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, self belief only takes you so far. Itโ€™s not like Usman doesnโ€™t believe in himself either. But heโ€™llย have the conditioning on top of that.

God I hope Usman wins. The overnight Masvidal groupies are going to be fucking unbearable with the โ€˜gangstaโ€™ shiteย if he pulls this off. Despite them all probably looking like Millhouse in real life. Heโ€™s kind ofย becoming the new McGregor for me. Not in how heโ€™s carrying on himself, heโ€™s nowhere near as bad as that cretin. But the way his fans seem to go to great lengths to try to explain away his flaws and act like he can beat anyone because heโ€™s a โ€˜Gโ€™. Or something. Iโ€™m pretty convinced itโ€™sย almost entirelyย nerds living vicariously through him and itโ€™sย cringeyย as fuck.ย 

Ah, that's a bit harsh, Magic. But I understand and I feel the same way about McGregor, Jones and Diaz brothers fans among MMA FB groups, which between them, Liverpool fans and the "Stay At Home heroes" preachy cunts among my friends with their 'pray' emojis, are the reason I fucked off Facebook and Instagram.
Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the Tony Montana character. It's cringe, it's vile and the fucking state of the cunt in the housecoat at 246 had me chewing the remote control, but he does bring an element of excitement to his fights with the way he fights, and I think his inclusion makes the main event as interesting as it would have been with Burns.
In saying that, and as I said, I reckon Usman literally makes him shite his bags in there. Or at least squeezes a few dribbles of piddle out of him.

ย 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Ah, that's a bit harsh, Magic. But I understand and I feel the same way about McGregor, Jones and Diaz brothers fans among MMA FB groups, which between them, Liverpool fans and the "Stay At Home heroes" preachy cunts among my friends with their 'pray' emojis, are the reason I fucked off Facebook and Instagram.
Don't get me wrong, I can't stand the Tony Montana character. It's cringe, it's vile and the fucking state of the cunt in the housecoat at 246 had me chewing the remote control, but he does bring an element of excitement to his fights with the way he fights, and I think his inclusion makes the main event as interesting as it would have been with Burns.
In saying that, and as I said, I reckon Usman literally makes him shite his bags in there. Or at least squeezes a few dribbles of piddle out of him.

Nah I hear you. He is exciting in the cage, I canโ€™t deny that. Or at least he has been in his last 3 fights. It wasnโ€™t always the case though, he was pretty inconsistent for a long time before the 2019 resurgence. Iโ€™ve just never taken to his personality myself. Iโ€™ve been saying I thought he seemedย a bit of a twat for donkeys years onย here. But Iย always give him his due for how heโ€™s turned it up a level or two the last 18 months or so. I think itโ€™s his Johnny-come-lately fans thatย grate on me more than anything, which obviously isnโ€™t Jorgeโ€™s fault but it makes the whole vibe around his fights annoying for me. Where were they all before last year? His fan club for years on end consisted of Masvidalโ€™s own family members, Yoel Romero and Ebb/Egg Shen. Nobody else gave a bollocks.ย Now everyone and their goldfish is talking โ€˜gangstaโ€™ this and โ€˜Street Jesusโ€™ that and trotting out that โ€˜3-piece and a sodaโ€™ shite. Granted, heโ€™s been more exciting lately so people will naturally gravitate towards him more now. I get that. But there are wallies out there now talking like everyone should be terrified of him and likeย heโ€™llย justย walk through everyone.ย Itโ€™s very much got the feel of the McGregor arselickery all over again. Like with the McGregor fans, he canโ€™t do any wrong and they mostly donโ€™t want to hearย kind of reasonable discussion that the other guy might win. All of a sudden, heโ€™s some monster. Even though I remember sittingย through a decade of him being a slightly upgraded Bobby Green and goingย nothing happening split decisions left and right. And it wasnโ€™t even that long ago. Now heโ€™s going to justย roll in on 6 days notice andย wreck Kamaru Usman if we believe the Twitter Scarfaces.ย 

I could be way off the mark but I really donโ€™t see this fight being as competitive or hard to call as many seem to think/hope itโ€™ll be. Masvidalโ€™s got skills but I just canโ€™t see him coping with Usmanโ€™s pace and overall box of tricks. Even if they were both coming in with a full camp. So onย 6 days notice, Iโ€™m really not fancying his chances. I donโ€™t think Usman will decimate him in a round or something. I donโ€™t even see it being a Khabib vs McGregor styleย domination. But I think heโ€™ll basically do what he wants andย win a fairly clear decision. I think Jorge is going to pretty much have to KO him to win. Which could happen, but I donโ€™t see Usmanย being there to be hit anywhere near as much as Nate Diaz was. And heโ€™s certainly not going to just swan dive into Masvidalโ€™s knee in secondsย like Ben Askren did.

Itโ€™ll be exciting to watch. I donโ€™t hate the fight by any means. But as much as I love a good build up, trash talk,ย personalities and all that, the main reason I watch is for what happens bell to bell. And I still think Gilbert Burns had more of a tool set to test Usman than Masvidal does. Them being friendly means the fight wouldnโ€™t have had as much buzz as this is getting, but the outcome would be more in doubt for me and thatโ€™s almost always going draw me in more than a bit of needle at a press conference.ย 

• Paid Members

Masvidal's rise has been brilliant, i get where you are coming from with the bandwagon fans being annoying, but to see a guy rise to stardom 40+ fights into a career is pretty awesome. Masvidal did it all in plain site too, he's been fighting on the major shows for over a decade and his persona whilst ramped up has always been similar too, it aint a Colby Covington situation where he's full on gimmick, Masvidal has always been the same way, the stars have aligned,ย he's won some big fightsย and has a media time with maximising his reach, its just marketing and its working a treat.

• Paid Members

Normally, Masvidal would be the kind of fighter I root for, a guy who's practically crawled his way to the top, taken beatings and bounced back. But he's such a cock-end, I just can't do it.

I don't particularlyย like Masvidal as a person. But in regards to this weekend's fight, it isย more that I don't want Usman to lose, rather than wanting Masvidal to fail.ย 

For my money, Usman is easily the best champion the welterweight division has seen since GSP. I always found Woodley to be an overrated fighter, and as entertaining as Lawler's fights were as champion,ย he didn't half get the benefit of the doubt from the judges at times. It would be a shame if Usman's streak was interrupted by fighter, who while world-class, isn't elite level (IMO).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Normally, Masvidal would be the kind of fighter I root for, a guy who's practically crawled his way to the top, taken beatings and bounced back. But he's such a cock-end, I just can't do it.

I shouldโ€™ve just posted this.ย 

18 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

as entertaining as Lawler's fights were as champion,ย he didn't half get the benefit of the doubt from the judges at times.

D67677EF-37E4-4855-98F8-C9BC30E49754.gif

Aside from the Condit decision, which really couldโ€™ve gone either way, Iโ€™m not havingย it. The second Hendricks fight was close and he left it late to put a stamp on it but he took fatboyโ€™s soul in that last round.ย And in his only other title defence, he stopped Rory in that classic. I wouldnโ€™t have an issue with someone scoring the Condit fight to Condit and I could even see the argument for Hendricks. Maybe. Iโ€™d have to revisit that one. But I donโ€™t think it was at all outrageous that Lawler got the nod in those fights. In both cases, I recall it hanging in the balance going into the 5th, and in both cases he had them hanging on by a thread at the end.ย 

ย 

50 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

D67677EF-37E4-4855-98F8-C9BC30E49754.gif

Aside from the Condit decision, which really couldโ€™ve gone either way, Iโ€™m not havingย it. The second Hendricks fight was close and he left it late to put a stamp on it but he took fatboyโ€™s soul in that last round.ย And in his only other title defence, he stopped Rory in that classic. I wouldnโ€™t have an issue with someone scoring the Condit fight to Condit and I could even see the argument for Hendricks. Maybe. Iโ€™d have to revisit that one. But I donโ€™t think it was at all outrageous that Lawler got the nod in those fights. In both cases, I recall it hanging in the balance going into the 5th, and in both cases he had them hanging on by a thread at the end.ย 

๐Ÿ˜€

Most media outlets scored those two fights against him.ย 

I personally had him edgingย the Condit fight. The rematch with Hendricks? As much as I loathe to admit it, I did score that oneย for Hendricks and was pleasantlyย surprised on the night when Lawler got the nod.ย 

ย 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

I'm actually surprised that anyone is giving him more than a punchers chance. I mean, it's a fight, and nothing is for sure, all it takes is a well-timed shot to the chin, but surely Masvidal has next to no chance here?

I get all the Scarface gimmick stuffย has gotten him attention, but this is the same dude who was losing to Al Iaquinta and Benson Henderson at lightweight. Cut his hair, shave off the beard, burn the gaudy suits and he's the same mid-level try-hard that he's always been, isn't he? He's not added anything new to his game. He's not improved massively.

Usman on the other hand, he's fucking elite. What he did to Covington was something else. Take away all the Tump stuff and bullshit and Covington is a legit force, and Usman came out on top there pretty spectacularly.

Masvidal has a chin, so he's probably not going anywhere unless he's caught on the floor and Usman is raining blows on him for the TKO, but I can't see anything but a win for Marty, either by TKO stoppage or by lopsided decision.