UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 🇦🇪 🏝🌴

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im not trying to brush it under the carpet, I just don't think its the primary reason why people haven't warmed to Kamaru Usman. You clearly do, and you've made your mind up and we all know there's no changing that.

You're not trying to brush it under the carpet? You said:

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Lets not make it a race issue because it isn't one, its a personality/charisma/likeability issue.

Again, how the fuck would you know if it's not a race issue? Throw in the fact that the dude is fresh off breaking the jaw of a fighter with a MAGA gimmick? You don't think a lot of dumb-as-fuck American fans buy into Covington's character? The fight was framed by many as a black African immigrant facing a white, Trump-loving, right-wing arsehole of a man.

Of course there's racial issues at play! 

I've already pointed out that there's absolutely zero reason for any hostility towards Usman as an individual. None. The guy is everything you'd want in a role model for your kids. He's far from unlikeable. 

Don't get me wrong, if you're someone who weirdly finds all of the above unappealing then fine, i'll even accept indifference to him. But outright unlikeable? No.

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Onto your other point, is the tide really shifting against Israel Adesanya? im not sensing that, they've just stuck him on the cover of the video game.

I think so, yeah. Give it another few fights. If he wins and wins well he'll not be far off the "unlikeable" chart. 

On Woodley, it's crazy as fuck to think what difference a few years makes. Imagine if he'd said this as a UFC champion in 2020 rather than 2017?

The second I bring up race in the sport I’m immediately race baiting,” Woodley continued. “I can point out clear facts: no other champion has been treated like me. I’m not saying they support [Thompson] more, but he has some fans who have crossed the line. It’s not his fault, I’m not saying it’s him, let’s get clear on that. I do respect him. I have been friendly and cordial with him, I will be friendly and cordial when we walk out. But let’s put the cards on the table. Real is real. If I was a different complexion, I feel fans would treat me a different way.”

“It was never convenient,” Woodley said of those who have spoken out in the past. “It was never comfortable. It was never the right time. Same thing with any other freedom fighter. Martin Luther King. I’m not comparing myself — because I know some people are gonna take this to left field — I’m not comparing myself to the great Muhammad Ali or Martin Luther King, what I’m telling you is that at that time they did not know they were going to be Martin Luther King and Muhammad Ali. They did not know that they were going to be figures that did so much outside of their field to impact change. They did it because it was right.”

“I’ve had people call me n***er, and monkey, and all this racist stuff,” he said. “I delete these people, then they’ll create another page and just go back out.

“What is our platform for?” Woodley said. “Is it for me to make all this money and showboat and talk about how great I am, or is it to speak to a large group of people all at once, knowing that everybody won’t receive it, but the fact that some will?”

As it is, he got blasted for raising the issue, and the head of the company claimed he was "a drama queen."

Imagine if that was today? Dana White answered Woodley's criticism and claims of being attacked with racial slurs by calling him a drama queen and by using a white fighter (McGregor) as an example of what Woodley should strive to be like? In 2020? He'd be fucked.

But, he'd still have the support of most of the UFC fans, and those fans would side with White against the likes of Woodley without doubt.

Edited by David

15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The thing is nobody believes someone is automatically racist for disliking a black fighter for being a cock-end - I don't like Rampage because he's a frat-boy douchebag, and I can't stand Jones for the many obvious reasons. 

And those are the two black fighters that are most popular with the MMA fanbase.

Anyway, cards on the table, I was never a Woodley fan. I always found him to be an overrated fighter. For a brief while some were calling him a GOAT contender, which I never really understood. 

However, if there was one fighter who was disliked by cretins for his race, it was Woodley. Some of the abuse he received on Twitter after he won the belt was disgraceful and racially motivated. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'm not convinced that Colby Covington would've got the same pelters if he'd done what Usman did to Masvidal. And Covington is a weapons-grade cunt.

No because Covington would have got on the mic and played the pantomime villain. He would have talked more shit to Jorge and roasted any media member who dared question his approach.

Just now, jimufctna24 said:

However, if there was one fighter who was disliked by cretins for his race, it was Woodley. Some of the abuse he received on Twitter after he won the belt was disgraceful and racially motivated.

Not only that, as I mentioned above, the head of the company he works for and was champion for advised him to stop crying and be more like a white fighter instead.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

No because Covington would have got on the mic and played the pantomime villain. He would have talked more shit to Jorge and roasted any media member who dared question his approach.

I'm talking specifically about Covington ending the Masvidal hype train, as that was the specific criterion you named for being the reason the fans were having a go at Usman. Doesn't have to be Covington, but the only other white guy I can think of who can be accused of snoozefests would be GSP, whom no-one dislikes anyway.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

Again, how the fuck would you know if it's not a race issue? 

Ok, i'll hold my hands up and say I wouldn't, there may be an element of it at play. But i'll stand by my opinion that the main reason that people haven't connected with Kamaru Usman is because he doesn't have an engaging personality and his fights are primarily pretty dull to watch. 

Just now, Egg Shen said:

Ok, i'll hold my hands up and say I wouldn't, there may be an element of it at play. But i'll stand by my opinion that the main reason that people haven't connected with Kamaru Usman is because he doesn't have an engaging personality and his fights are primarily pretty dull to watch. 

You're not getting it, Ebb. 

I don't know if it's wilful ignorance, or if you just don't know what the people in this thread are talking about when we've tried to highlight the issue to you.

• Paid Members

how do you know that's not the case though? you don't!

There are too many popular black MMA fighters around for you simply come in and say Usman isn't popular because he's black. You've even just predicted that fans are gonna turn on one of the most exciting and popular fighters in the sport based on nothing other than the fact that he's black, you did that.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

how do you know that's not the case though? you don't!

How do I know it's not the case? I know because I see examples of racism, Ebb. It's not fucking hard to find mate, it's right there. Twitter and other social platforms spend a decent chunk of their time trying to shut these morons down all the time.

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

There are too many popular black MMA fighters around for you simply come in and say Usman isn't popular because he's black.

Do you know how racism works? It's not a case of racists hating all black fighters. There's certain things that will trigger the reaction. It could be that Usman is well-spoken and intelligent. It could be that he dresses like a champion. It could be that he cracked the fuck out of a Trump-supporting twat like Covington. 

But there isn't anyone claiming that any white fighters are "unlikeable" when their personal lives are exemplary, is there? I mean, it's hard to find anyone condemning actual arseholes who are white. McGregor and Perry enjoy a lot of support, with some even trying to explain away accusations of rape and striking a woman!

Yet it's Usman who's "unlikeable" outside of the cage? Come on lad, you're not that fucking stupid.

• Paid Members

yeh, so I guess it only happens to the fighters who don't have an engaging personality and that are boring to watch in the cage.

Have you never heard Dominic Cruz be labelled unlikeable? Josh Barnett? Michael Bisping?

You dislike Cody Garbrandt because he's a jock with neck tattoos. Great reasoning.

"how anyone can find that dude unlikeable is beyond me":

007_cody-fightnight-0883.0.0.jpg

687715233rt00529_ufc_207_cr_150776082.jp

Ebb, your desperation to claim racism isn't a factor here is astounding. Yet, sadly, not surprising. 

Next you'll be telling me that African Americans shouldn't have a problem with the police? Just show some photos of white guys being arrested or manhandled, right? 

Cody Garbrandt I do not like, but it's far from being "something i can't put my finger on." He came across as a grade A arsehole during the TJ thing. He's a bully, and he seems like a dick. Also, him talking about Dillashaw's kid knowing his dad was a cheater? Grade A prick move.

So, there's why I don't like Cody. Why do you not like Usman? Give me something concrete that he's done that people would find offensive?

Josh Barnett? Unlikeable due to the fact that he's a multiple time PED user? 

Michael Bisping? He's a knob, gloating about how much money he earns, calling people cunts, spitting at people?

Dominick Cruz? I'm not so sure he's been termed unlikeable, but if he has it's probably due to his smug attitude.

I await your next post to try and explain why racism isn't a thing experienced by certain black MMA fighters.

Edited by David

Of course it’s a fucking race issue. MMA fans in general are White trash who blame immigrants for their shit life and don’t like the blacks getting above their station. Let’s not pretend it is some fucking MENSA meeting or something that attracts progressive types. It’s lowest common denominator shit.