Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think, out of everything that's happened in the last 3 and a half years, this is the only apology I've seen issued by a wrestler accused of a wrongdoing that, to some degree, understands the widespread consequences of that person's actions and feels sincere.

Yeah it’s shows culpability that he’s done wrong, and there is of course the possibility he has apologised in private, but there was no mention of the victims of his actions, just his loved ones and former employer, and fans of his employer. But still, that really came across as genuine and admitting he had done wrong, so fair play. 

I saw it when it was first posted. It's a tough one isn't it? You want people to take accountability but it's also hard to take it at face value. Is it genuine? Has anything been said to the victims? Has he changed?

None of us know really but it's not really for us anyway.

I suppose it's a start though so that's got to be better than nothing.

• Paid Members

He's not apologising to any "victims" because he's always denied every allegation and in the eyes of the law nothing was ever found on him. He's apologising for his subsequent behaviour that got him released a year later and the following arrests for unrelated stuff.

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

He's not apologising to any "victims" because he's always denied every allegation and in the eyes of the law nothing was ever found on him. He's apologising for his subsequent behaviour that got him released a year later and the following arrests for unrelated stuff.

The unrelated stuff had victims though, they don’t get a mention. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

The unrelated stuff had victims though, they don’t get a mention. 

No they never. One was a battery charge that got dropped and the other was possessing drug paraphernalia. Obviously whoever pressed the initial battery charge might think otherwise, but again it was dropped so he wouldn't apologise directly for it because he was never found guilty.

Just now, FelatioLips said:

No they never. One was a battery charge that got dropped and the other was possessing drug paraphernalia. Obviously whoever pressed the initial battery charge might think otherwise, but again it was dropped so he wouldn't apologise directly for it because he was never found guilty.

You said he was apologising for his subsequent behaviour and the following arrests. So that says he was apologising for his behaviour that led to the battery charge. Sure, he could be incriminating himself by apologising to people directly, but that’s what I’m getting at as to why his apology, whilst sincere, is hollow due to who he is apologising to and what for, if that makes sense? No charges doesn’t equal no victims as you say  

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

You said he was apologising for his subsequent behaviour and the following arrests. So that says he was apologising for his behaviour that led to the battery charge. Sure, he could be incriminating himself by apologising to people directly, but that’s what I’m getting at as to why his apology, whilst sincere, is hollow due to who he is apologising to and what for, if that makes sense? No charges doesn’t equal no victims as you say  

Sorry you've misunderstood. I meant his behaviour backstage at WWE which is what was a reported reason for his firing at the time. Apparently he had a shit attitude and was indifferent to his colleagues. A bit of a diva by most accounts. That's also why he apologises directly to HHH and Michaels, because they were in charge at the time of his shit behaviour and arrests.

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Sorry you've misunderstood. I meant his behaviour backstage at WWE which is what was a reported reason for his firing at the time. Apparently he had a shit attitude and was indifferent to his colleagues. A bit of a diva by most accounts. That's also why he apologises directly to HHH and Michaels, because they were in charge at the time of his shit behaviour and arrests.

Right you are, thanks for that! That makes sense. 

Spoiler

Nonce Sense

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Of course, it's at least 2 years too late

See I would debate this to some degree, you would hope that he would have the human decency to apologise instantly however the person he was then and now (and it’s absolutely up for debate it he is changed or not) may be the reason he can offer an apology now and actually mean it. 

Disclaimer: I am in no way defending him or what he has done I always just hope that when someone apologies and owns their past that they have actually really thought about it and felt remorse as opposed to giving lip service. 

This is a tough one.

It seems clear to me that he’s apologising for his bad behaviour in NXT, that led to him getting fired.  It does come across as sincere.

However, he has always (and continues to) deny the specific allegations about soliciting underage boys.  Those allegations were investigated by the police AND WWE and resulted in no action in either case.  I don’t think he’s apologising here for something he is adamant he didn’t do.

So it really comes down to whether you believe him or his accusers, as it always did.

It’s always been in the back on my mind that he was playing a gay (or at the very least super ambiguous) black character on tv at the time, so it’s not inconceivable that he was the victim of some fairly heavy prejudice (equating homosexuality with paedophilia is a slur as old as time).  If so, it would have been a tragedy if that had ended his career.

By the sounds of it though it was a whole different set of sins that led to his departure from NXT.  Whether he should be forgiven for THOSE I don’t know.  Let’s be honest, none of us really know what is or isn’t true in this case!

I see Matt Striker decided to use his platform as a commentator to make a case for the defence of Matt Riddle.

I wonder why he would think that’s the move to make.

1 hour ago, FUM said:

I see Matt Striker decided to use his platform as a commentator to make a case for the defence of Matt Riddle.

I wonder why he would think that’s the move to make.

Wasn't this the guy who once made a statement online about Cancel Culture forcing "alphas being denied their rights to be alpha".

Yes. Yes it was. This man has a deeply weird sense of social logic.

• Paid Members

Really good interview with one of the main protestors in the Indian Wrestling #metoo movement.

The interview is conducted in Hindi. The main points are that the protesters had put their faith in the Government for a just resolution. That should have resulted in an overhaul of the existing corrupt organisation of the WFI (Wrestling Federation of India).

Brij Busham and his cronies still have control of the WFI.

The protesters have lost all faith in the WFI and the Government.

They had hoped to stand up for those that don't have the platform available to these prominent athletes.

They will continue to help train aspiring wrestlers. However they regret not being able to bring an effective change in the WFI structure.

All the protesters and their associates have suffered trolling and intimidation from the power base of the WFI and their political associates.

It's sad to see that despite their efforts. This attempt to protect the most vulnerable hasn't achieved the desired result. However, it has raised awareness. The hope is that the previous years agitation will create a platform for forward progression. That ultimately protects the most vulnerable.

@deathrey

@BigJag It's a sad state of affairs. The first mistake was trusting the Indian government to do anything, especially something that is just and fair. They don't even feel the need to keep up the pretence for the general population as they don't care what the electorate think.

I hope it doesn't stop people from coming forward in the future and maybe India can be shamed in to taking action.