Jackass / CKY

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Wasn't Knoxville just an actor hired to front the show? Fair play to him he never held back.

Nah, he used to write articles for a skating magazine that Jeff Tremaine (co-creator and director of Jackass) owned and one day filmed himself testing out tasers etc. on himself for an article. The video of that combined with crazy stuff other skaters they knew were doing eventually led to Jackass. Knoxville was a part time actor at the time but he was very much one of the original creators behind it.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Of all the shit they've done it's the Steve-O putting a leach on his eye ball that still haunts me to this day.

Wasn't Knoxville just an actor hired to front the show? Fair play to him he never held back.

Nah. Knoxville was already doing this kind of stupid shit for Big Brother skate videos, whilst the CKY guys were doing their thing separately. Then they brought it all together for Jackass.

I had a similar experience with the CKY and Jackass stuff in my formative years as some of you lot so I'm definitely excited for this. The cut of super elaborate nut shots from one of the jackass .5 things is one of the finest pieces of cinema of all-time. No idea how it didn't make one of the proper releases.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Way too slow! Already answered by everyone else...

• Moderators

Yeah, Raab Himself was a total oddball. Was it on Cribs or something, where you saw that he just slept on a filthy mattress next to a radiator in Bam's house? Bam seemed like a genuinely terrible human being, and I was always delighted to see him as the butt of a prank. I think the snake pit is one of my favourites for that reason.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

He's arguably the maddest of the lot. The others all seem to have an awareness of when to stop but he just doesn't at all. He's also got the best laugh in history.

• Paid Members

Did anyone see Johnny Knoxville's recent stunt theme park film? 

I always thought Johnny was the coolest one. He's such a stud, not much the other losers could be doing other than humiliating themselves, but Knoxville about to get fucked always looked like he had something to lose.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've always been impressed by Knoxville's fearlessness and toughness. Especially as the rest of them have a history in various extreme sports so knew how to take a fall. Knoxville has no coordination and gets brutalised.

Raab Himself is totally normal now and has his own podcast where he's interviewed a lot of the old Jackass crew. His day job is in film production and he's married to a yoga instructor. From what I can tell he was basically an alcoholic during the CKY video era.

Bam seems to have completely lost the plot years ago. The other cast members have been pretty open about how difficult it's been to maintain a normal friendship with him and how out of control his ego got.

• Paid Members

I'm quite fond of the Jackass lot. The CKY videos were staples of my late teens. The first Jackass movie is a stone cold classic. But I gotta say I never really got on with the 2nd.

You could tell no one really wanted to be there and it didn't seem fun for anyone. The 3rd one whilst not being in the first's league seems like they are back to there old selves having sobered up by and large and been out of the public eye quite so much. It was much more fun.

I'd be well up for a forth. Might have to dig out the DVDs tonight.

• Paid Members

I still watch all the CKY videos every now and then. Got me into skating and discovering a lot of new bands when I was a teenager. It also made me do stupid shit. I’ve managed to collect some of the rarer copies of the dvds over the years. And still have my copy of 2K that I recorded from video to dvd after renting it from Blockbusters. 

I think before or after CKY 4 they made Haggard the movie. Which was never going to win any awards, but still has some scenes that crack me up to this day. 

I didn’t mind Bam. He was never my favourite from either the Jackass or CKY crew. But I used to listen to his radio show weekly as an obsessed teenager and he started getting really annoying around 2009 when he started doing too much drugs and alcohol. He was never the best on there either tbf. He seems to be in a better place now after the past couple of years of drug and alcohol fuelled Instagram meltdowns. 

One of the most revealing bits on Viva La Bam was the alternate cut of the episode where he turns the entire house into a skatepark. On the show, he came off like an obnoxious, zero-fucks maniac, but the re-edit shows him properly bricking it knowing his parents were going to go mental. Might be a case of the TV persona taking over the guy in real life. Shame.

I was never madly into Jackass, but the movies were much better than the TV show. I remember a Gumball Rally video that was great fun.