Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Moderators

Mentally, I'm fine. I'm built for isolation. But I'd usually be making money walking or sitting dogs this time of year, so the Patreon's suddenly become my only source of income. The lockdown gives me time to hammer out content, so I'm pretty much writing or editing from waking up until going to bed, which is my normal routine, except I usually take a day or two off most weeks, to help at a friend's non-profit; anything from knocking down walls with a sledgehammer while renovating the building to shooting videos for their social media. Now I don't have that break, I feel like I'm one giant DVT blood clot wrapped in skin and my spine's made from Pringles.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I'm in the bay window in the bedroom. Had to nick my daughter's desk. I'm being pretty productive because I'm able to work on stuff uninterrupted for the most part which is absolute heaven.

I've also set up a little editing station next to me with my VHS player, DVD recorded and a small telly we had in the loft so I'm a load of the tapes and SKY recordings I've had stacked up so I can bin the tapes when this is all done.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Get on your couches like proper home workers ffs.

I bought one of those egg sitter cushions if that counts?

28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

10 friends, lolz.

Funnily enough, my nickname is 11.... I mean, it was a nickname I gave myself obviously

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

As a different slant on things re work. I’m a Pub Manager I’m very lucky in that I’m financially stable, have a roof over my head and, for now, I’m being topped up to full pay. So basically I’m on full salary to sit in a free flat, build Lego and watch television.

But.... York is deserted. I have no real outside area. I do pop out once a day for a quick walk but I feel like I shouldn’t be out. I feel guilty as I’m being paid for nothing (I work for a one man band with two pubs, not a major chain) I’m single. I live 50 miles away from my daughters, who are both still working, in fact, almost everyone I know are still working. I’ve literally spoke directly to 5 people in the last 4 weeks (thank heavens for social media and FaceTime!) 

My point is, the issues are different for everyone. I’m not worried about finances, my home, in the short  term at least, is safe. 
But the days are so bloody long (and I have no self motivation which is on me)  I’m forcing myself to stay in bed in a morning just to shorten the day! 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, thicko said:

As a different slant on things re work. I’m a Pub Manager I’m very lucky in that I’m financially stable, have a roof over my head and, for now, I’m being topped up to full pay. So basically I’m on full salary to sit in a free flat, build Lego and watch television.

Is that salaried management or are you on a retail agreement? I'm on salary for a standalone freehold but been furloughed but Ive been asked to live in for security which is fine by me as I haven't got BT sports at home. The pub across is on a retail agreement and took over the Friday the pub shotdown came in (poor bugger) and I'm wondering how the likes of Enterprise and the like are looking after people on retail agreements with the free rent but getting 20% or so with which you've got to pay staff. 

Knowing most PubCos, probably not. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

I'm lucky enough to have a job where I can work from home. As a contractor I don't have the job security that a permanent employee has, so I am really even more lucky they haven't just got rid of me. But all that said, I am finding it really difficult at home to motivate myself to work. I should be busting a gut to prove my worth and keep my job, as there's no chance I'd get another one in this economic climate but I'm finding it tough to do anything more than the bare minimum. I need to do something to get myself to snap out of it..

There's a job going in Finland in my wheelhouse which I got sent details of today.

Who the fuck is hiring during a pandemic? Especially a company that regularly hires from overseas like this one.  It's just odd.  I've worked over in Helsinki and it's pretty cool, but there's no way I'd consider trying to move to another country during all of this.