Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

The use of 'Be Alert' is what is most concerning. I'm sure that's what they say after a terrorist attack, when they are telling you it is absolutely fine to go about doing everything as normal, but to be alert. It is just going to give those who want an excuse to constantly be out, to be out.

So we should see another spike by the beginning of June...

• Paid Members

Interesting piece on inconsistent polling at the moment: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10137

TLDR: the Tories are way ahead in voting polls, Johnson has good leadership ratings, and overall people say they are doing a good job, but on pretty much any specific measure about the coronavirus response people think the government are too late/slow/poor, and people think/are aware that we're doing far worse than most countries. 

The writer reckons the inconsistencies are a combination of people giving them the benefit of the doubt (and not wanting to believe it's a systematic/political failure), and people seeing questions about the overall government response as being about whether or not we should have gone into lockdown. 

The public are strongly in favour of the lockdown and the government are pursuing a policy of lockdown. Therefore, the public approve.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Johnson wa surprised at how many people furlonged even though there message was to "stay at home" 

It was mentioned in another thread how many people are happy for certain people to go back to work eg.. Restaurant staff.. Retail so they can then get out. 

Worrying.. I've seen the stupidity of people over the past few months more so then ever. I'm expecting another spike soon because of those VE Day videos. 

39 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Johnson wa surprised at how many people furlonged even though there message was to "stay at home" 

It was mentioned in another thread how many people are happy for certain people to go back to work eg.. Restaurant staff.. Retail so they can then get out. 

Worrying.. I've seen the stupidity of people over the past few months more so then ever. I'm expecting another spike soon because of those VE Day videos. 

What’s been irritating me, being a non essential retail worker, is the amount of dolts plaguing the FB comments section anytime Primark put up a post demanding that the company open an online store just so they can buy shit, completely disregarding that a) to run that operation requires staff and b) moving online will eventually kill off the physical stores meaning staff like me would be out of work all for £2 makeup or £5-10 clothing 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I think the alternate was "BACK TO WORK, PEASANTS -> YOU MIGHT KILL YOUR NAN -> OH DEAR, WHAT A PITY, NEVERMIND" but they thought it too ambiguous.

As the government are keen to point we're over the peak*

*Just the ~4,000 confirmed new cases and ~600 daily deaths at the moment.

They'd just get Iain Duncan Smith to start preaching Arbeit Macht Frei like he did in that Andrew Marr interview. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nice. Got DRINK MORE>DONT EAT THE BATS>DONT QUESTION US

Eat chips. Wash you smelly bum. Save yourself.

Goddamn, that's profound.

5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Where possible.

Edit:

All of the devolved nations are rejecting "Stay Alert" as a slogan so you only have to "Stay Alert" in England, which is nice.

On a similar note, I've been really impressed with Sturgeon during this whole thing. I'm sure someone will come and tell me she has some horrid views like chippys that sell kebabs are chippys, but she's been excellent every time I've seen her or read something from her.

• Paid Members

Somebody brought a rocket launcher to one of the anti-lockdown protests over in North Carolina,

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/article242628341.html?fbclid=IwAR02XTfrdgoqV8qGyTt4-9Ly8MZu7Ci0adA02ukgagm9v5ZY-0TAXG8Jdus

Screenshot_20200510_183006.jpg

Edited by jazzygeofferz