Wilder vs Fury 2 - Feb 22 🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

As knackered as he looked, he didn't look like his eyes had gone.

The fight was only going in one direction. By pulling Wilder, he survives serious injury to utilise his rematch clause.

I thought it was a good call. It would have been too early without the towel going in. Wilder was steadying himself by grabbing the top rope & the referee never took his eyes off the Bronze Bomber, with real concern spread across his face.

• Paid Members

Quite a lot to unpack after all that.

There was quite a lot of chat pre-fight about Fury having a rubbish training camp, with rumours of knockouts or ankle injuries etc. However, I'd be not at all surprised if someone leaked those stories to get in the head of Wilder. Anyway, I was slightly worried when he weighed in so heavy, but here we are; one of the greatest performances ever.

Simply, that's what Fury can do when he's match fit. It doesn't get brought up often enough but he handled Wilder for most of the first fight when he was probably two fights away from being near his best, while Wilder was at his peak. Of course, with rematches the best fighters tend to make adjustments, but all Wilder seemed to have is he came in heavier.
I thought it was interesting after the first fight that Freddie Roach was very critical of Ben Davison's corner work, feeling Wilder was there for the taking if he would allow Fury off the leash. Of course, that's pretty much what happened here and it was an absolute doing. People were saying all sorts when Tyson changed coaches, but it had become pretty clear Davison (while great for getting Tyson back on track) wasn't all that. A change of coach and has Fury ever fought any better? It's scary what potential his coaches may unlock from him.

Can't wait for Fury v AJ is 5 years.

Edited by ColinBollocks

2 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, and the referee was atrocious. It didn't make any difference, but taking the point away that early? Fucking hell. Not to mention the sheer number of times he gave Wilder time to recover? I was hoping we'd get the ref from last time.

True. There was no need for the point taken off. They were both as bad as each other, punching after the break. Post round 3, the referee was just staring bug-eyed at Wilder looking for a stoppage. Wilder himself had an alarming stare from the start, a mix of full concentration / impending doom.

You can't blame his corner for throwing in the towel. He would not have caught up on points past 7. Wilder was done. Legs had gone, no balance, ears fucked. Eyes closed, head sagged in the corner after the 6th. He's just made $30m from this fight and can get the same for a rematch. Why risk it with permanent damage to yourself. Fury would not have KO'ed him because he doesn't have that concussive power. So would have just took a blunderbuss of a pasting for another 5 rounds. 

Also Charles Martin Vs AJ again. They could put that on at the start of the night, for a warm up for AJ. Once he's wiped him out again. He could face Fury in the main event.

19 minutes ago, Rossman said:

You can't blame his corner for throwing in the towel. He would not have caught up on points past 7. Wilder was done. Legs had gone, no balance, ears fucked. Eyes closed, head sagged in the corner after the 6th. He's just made $30m from this fight and can get the same for a rematch. Why risk it with permanent damage to yourself. Fury would not have KO'ed him because he doesn't have that concussive power. So would have just took a blunderbuss of a pasting for another 5 rounds. 

I agree with everything here, apart from Fury was VERY close to stopping Wilder and he would not have lasted much longer.

39 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Wilder certainly won the entrance ring gear battle.

Was somewhere between Shockmaster and Dynamo from The Running Man.

On another note - i watched the American broadcast - i don't think i'll ever fully appreciate how good we had it growing up with the HBO broadcasts.

FOX had a two person setup on commentatory and the female in the booth was asbolutely attrocious. No if she's a boxer herself but it was a million miles from the like of Jim Lampley, Harold Leterman and Big George.....even Larry Merchant was better to listen to than that.

• Paid Members

Fury back in 2017, right at the start of his comeback, sent this message to Wilder; 

Crazy when you really look back at the journey he’s taken to get to last night. It was a big talking point before and after the first Wilder fight but it kind of got lost and almost forgotten this time amongst the talk of dodgy judging, Fury’s camp, Fury’s weight, Fury’s cut from the Wallin fight and so on. But to come back from where he was, physically and mentally, to do what he did last night is kind of mind blowing. When Ali beat George Foreman the commentator famously went ‘he’s won the title back at 32!’ As if 32 is ancient. I get why it was an upset given how scary Foreman was back then, and it is an all-time great iconic fight. But purely as a ‘defying the odds’ achievement, Fury going from a 30 stone, coke addled mess on the brink of suicide to stopping an undefeated knockout machine to become WBC champion of the world, honestly pisses all over it for me.

It’s easy for people to say they never doubted him now but you’d never have called it with the state Tyson was in just 3 years ago. If he’d carried on how he was then I’m pretty sure he’d have been in that Celebrity Deaths thread on here by now. I was never as big a fan of his as some on here, and some of his views and comments over the years were vile, but you can’t not respect the way he’s been able to turn his life around. Obviously, mental health is an ongoing battle. He hasn’t just magically eliminated those issues and he’ll have to keep fighting that all his life like anyone else. But it was great to see him celebrating in the ring with his wife especially. You’d have to have a heart of stone to not be a little bit happy for him. He could’ve quite easily been a tragic story rather than a success story. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

So from what I understand, Wilder has approx 5 months to ask for a rematch. Which means there can’t be a AJ vs Fury match within that time frame, obviously ruling out a summer bout. 

I think we’ll get match 3 with Wilder in Autumn unfortunately and if Fury retains, we’ll see AJ vs Fury next year. Just can’t see it this year at all, unless Wilder comes out soon stating he doesn’t want a rematch, which seems unlikely.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

So from what I understand, Wilder has approx 5 months to ask for a rematch. Which means there can’t be a AJ vs Fury match within that time frame, obviously ruling out a summer bout. 

I think we’ll get match 3 with Wilder in Autumn unfortunately and if Fury retains, we’ll see AJ vs Fury next year. Just can’t see it this year at all, unless Wilder comes out soon stating he doesn’t want a rematch, which seems unlikely.

i dont see how a 3rd fight with Wilder goes any differently. If Tyson decided to fight as he did the first time id give Wilder a chance from a punchers standpoint but Tyson found the formula last night, Wilder can't really do anything to combat Fury's size or forward pressure. I think a 3rd fight would look very similar.

• Paid Members

Imagine if Wilder somehow won a third fight though? Then they’d be 1-1-1 and pretty much locked into a 4th fight. Then if that was another dodgy draw...a 5th! 

Nah, I think it’s clear Fury spanks him pretty much every time. Over 19 total rounds, aside from the two knockdowns, Wilder has been utterly schooled for nearly every second they’ve been in the ring together. 

It’s been a lot of fun though. Despite the one-sidedness, the drama and excitement of their two fights has been off the charts. Probably my favourite Heavyweight rivalry since the Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe trilogy in the 90s. 

I'd be surprised if he took the rematch.

The clause is in pretty much every big match contract. If there has been an injustice in scoring or refereeing (Holyfield v Lewis , Froch v Groves) it's logical conclusion but not so much of the guy has taking a comprehensive beating. I remember Naseem banging on about a rematch clause after the Barrera pasting when, in reality, he didn't want to go anywhere near him again.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Probably my favourite Heavyweight rivalry since the Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe trilogy in the 90s. 

Butchi will have something to say about that.

Just felt last night Fury figured out the way to totally negate Deontay's right hand. If that 3rd round knockdown hadn't have happened things may have been different, but i highly doubt it. Fury had him number.