The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

That's Kazuchika Okada. He's genuinely incredible - amazing wrestler and dripping with charisma. One of his biggest assets is being able to have brilliant matches in his opponent's style.  He has had a series of amazing matches with Kenny Omega. To some mocking, as you can imagine, they got six and seven stars from Dave Meltzer, which means he regards them as the greatest matches he's ever seen.

Even if people don't know him, with the right presentation, he'd immediately come across as a huge star.

That said, I don't believe that'll happen.

Thanks for the explanation, I recognise the picture, but didn't know who exactly it was. 

I wouldn't be adverse to things like this happening with the right opponent, I had no idea who Nakamura was when he appeared on the screen to challenge Sami Zayn way back when, but the presentation and match immediately got me hooked.

20 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

ABSOLUTELY no chance? Considering the promotion I work for in Aus managed to get him to compete for us with only 600 fans, I wouldn't completely cross it out.

Exposing one of the best wrestlers in the world to the American audience and using the match as a means to promote a NJPW show in the US? I would not completely write it off. 

Working, and I presume winning,  for a small company that no one will see, against losing against on what’s probably gonna be the highest bought aew show with masses of attention on it. Yeah I’ll stick with absolutely no chance he shows up to lose to omega at this 

• Paid Members

Putting aside my frustrations with them postponing the Hangman storyline in the middle of the home straight, I think The Elite are the perfect act to send out in Chicago for CM Punk to interrupt. I love the idea of those goofballs acting completely oblivious to the rumours, bragging about selling the place out, pretending they can’t make out the chants, only for Cult of Personality to hit.

8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Putting aside my frustrations with them postponing the Hangman storyline in the middle of the home straight, I think The Elite are the perfect act to send out in Chicago for CM Punk to interrupt. I love the idea of those goofballs acting completely oblivious to the rumours, bragging about selling the place out, pretending they can’t make out the chants, only for Cult of Personality to hit.

I'm honestly so excited to hear that music again in front of a live crowd. I actually consider it a disappointment that he came back with 'new' music in this;

I've always imagined what the roar would've been like if he'd come back with This Fire Burns. I get what they were going for but I've never really liked it that much. Probably doesn't help that he came back far too quickly anyway.

And then there's obviously the absolute waste of time that was this:

I certainly didn't spend ages waiting for Punk to come back and end up with no crowd and Paige screaming NO WAYYYYY. Fucks sake.

His AEW debut is already better than any of this.

• Paid Members

I genuinely think it’s going to top this, which remains one of the best reactions of all time.

In my head, the chants are exactly like at the start of that video, absolutely thunderous, but with Kenny Omega and the Bucks standing in the ring, dressed like hilarious dickheads, saying “I think they’re chanting Belt Collector?'

And then the music hits.

EDIT: Scratch that. I've just imagined The Elite beating up Colt Cabana and then the music hits. Fuck me. The building will explode.

Edited by Supremo

46 minutes ago, Chris B said:

That's Kazuchika Okada. He's genuinely incredible - amazing wrestler and dripping with charisma. One of his biggest assets is being able to have brilliant matches in his opponent's style.  He has had a series of amazing matches with Kenny Omega. To some mocking, as you can imagine, they got six and seven stars from Dave Meltzer, which means he regards them as the greatest matches he's ever seen.

Even if people don't know him, with the right presentation, he'd immediately come across as a huge star.

That said, I don't believe that'll happen.

Even if it did, and even if the match was phenomenal, it wouldn't make up for even a fraction of the disappointment for not having Page in that main event. I really hope, if Meltzer is right, that Tony Khan changes track after catching wind of the crowd reaction. Or that the crowd reaction over the next few weeks means they shift back to doing right by Hangman. 

• Paid Members

I was never a huge fan of Punk, however watching the videos posted above, what an absolute star he was at that time and how it was never fully capitalised on. Yes, he was champion multiple times, but was never THE guy. Those reactions paired with his attitude of doing whatever he wants should have had him in the Cena bracket. The unpredictableness of how the 'Summer of Punk' was going to go when he hopped the barricade and blew a kiss was one of the most exciting things they have done in years, obviously he was brought back about a week later. 

38 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I was never a huge fan of Punk, however watching the videos posted above, what an absolute star he was at that time and how it was never fully capitalised on. Yes, he was champion multiple times, but was never THE guy. Those reactions paired with his attitude of doing whatever he wants should have had him in the Cena bracket. The unpredictableness of how the 'Summer of Punk' was going to go when he hopped the barricade and blew a kiss was one of the most exciting things they have done in years, obviously he was brought back about a week later. 

Should have Scottie Pippen introduce him as he was never THE guy either ;) 

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I was never a huge fan of Punk, however watching the videos posted above, what an absolute star he was at that time and how it was never fully capitalised on. Yes, he was champion multiple times, but was never THE guy. 

I think he was definitely the guy once he turned heel and sided with Heyman. A lot of people tend to forget that. They seriously mishandled his run post pipe bomb, but from the second half of 2012 on he was the king of those shows, and I'm pretty sure headlined virtually every PPV after Summerslam and before Rock beat him for the belt. 

That was best Punk. Not the guy who went from "Let's get one thing straight, those of you cheering me are just as at fault" to goofy smiles and ruffling Johnny Ace's feathers within a couple of weeks because it's the same tired old shit the WWE system demands of every top babyface.