The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

36 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Cornette just described the broadway as perfect, it's wild to hear so many compliments for AEW of late but I guess he realized there's less money in slagging off everything to a comical degree.

He's always been a fan of certain things. A 60 minute time limit draw on TV is probably something he'd enjoy as a classic throwback.

I'm sure he'll still be throwing his barbs at Kenny Olivier being a paedo, Pockets, and magically grabbing a Sprite during every women's match.

• Paid Members

Yeah if it's good and it resembles serious traditional pro wrestling then it's highly likely that Cornette is going to like it. It's pretty easy to predict what he's going to like and what he's going to hate. His views (as horrible as some are) have always been very consistent. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think Matt Hardy called Orange Cassidy "Pockets" during a promo

in fairness to this one, wasn't the whole point of Hardy calling out Orange Cassidy in Cornette-esque terms for making a mockery of wrestling all meant to be a bit of a heel hypocrisy considering it was coming from Matt Hardy, of Final Deletion fame? So while it's channelling Cornette, it wasn't done in a sense of saying "we should be listening to this guy" at all.

The worst thing about "Pockets" is that Cornette is a guy who made his name as a manager on good verbiage and creative putdowns, yet every nickname that he comes up with for wrestlers he doesn't like today is cringeworthy childish rubbish, and completely uncreative. It's a lot harder when you can't crib from Dutch Mantel or Jerry Lawler's big 1950s jokebook.

In terms of Cornette on AEW, there was a marked shift after CM Punk debuted. I think part of that has been honest, that there's more to the product that he likes now - they've tidied up a lot of the things from early on that he would have objected to, and feel a lot more like a "traditional" wrestling show done well than they did in the beginning - but I think more than anything it was just a point of knowing what side his bread's buttered on, and seeing that actually this was a promotion that does have staying power, that's winning over more people, and that there's going to be more mileage in being a bit more even-handed about it rather than treating it like a flash in the pan.

I don't listen to his podcast, but from his social media it also seems like he really dialled down the act in general around the time Bobby Eaton passed away. Does make me think if there was just a sense of wondering if what he's been doing was really the best use of his time. 

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

One thing I never got with Cornette is he always talks about goofy shit killing the business but in his heyday he used to hit people with a tennis racket which they would sell like they had been blasted with a shotgun.

Because it was a loaded tennis racket!

He also dismisses most of the hokey things he used to book in SMW/OVW as being excusable because he didn't have a budget.

• Paid Members

Here's the upcoming schedule for AEW, I had to look it up as they've mentioned quite a few different events recently:

AEW Dynamite - 'Holiday Bash' - Wednesday 22nd December

• Malakai Black vs. Griff Garrison
  • CM Punk, Sting, and Darby Allin vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler, Dax Harwood) and MJF
  • Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole
  • Nyla Rose vs. Ruby Soho (Semi-finals of TBS title)

AEW Rampage - 'Holiday Bash' - Saturday 25th December

• Sammy Guevara (c) vs. Cody Rhodes (TNT title match)
  • Hook vs. Bear Bronson

AEW Dynamite - 'New Years Smash' - Wednesday 29th December

AEW Rampage - 'New Years Smash' - Friday 31st December

AEW Dyanmite - [FIRST SHOW VIA TBS] - Wednesday 5th January

• Final of the TBS title tournament

AEW Rampage - [REMAINING ON TNT] - Friday 7th January

AEW Special - Battle of the Belts - Saturday 8th January (1 Hour Show)

• Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) vs. Riho (Womens title match)

Edited by Kamran

Just caught up with Hangman and Danielson already knowing how it ended, and enjoyed it but definitely seemed obvious at times it was going long (I do have the benefit of hindsight of course!) Great match but Omega and Danielson is still the gold standard.

Looking forward to seeing Punk and Sting team up tonight. 

• Paid Members

Assuming Adam Cole’s surprise on tonight’s show is what everyone is expecting, it’s going to be the truest test of Tony Khan’s ability to reign his talent in.

He’s allowed the Nightmare Collective. He’s allowed the Codyverse. But surely he’s going to draw the line at allowing Kyle O’Reilly to dress himself for television.

ACBFBFD1-840D-412A-817C-3DA9AB4727FB.jpeg.166528e74c6f509b9a954b556bd880ce.jpeg