The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I can't believe it seems like Bryan's going to lose. They've been showcasing him as the best wrestler on the planet pretty much. I don't think he should be losing to anybody. I get that they need someone major to put Hangman over but it should have been somebody else. Nobody should be doing any better than a draw with Bryan for a long time yet. I'd have had him become champion eventually whilst still being undefeated. Have him defeat all challengers, face and heel with just wrestling like he does so well. 

• Paid Members

Was there something a few years back where after Bryan got released for the Tie incident, Paul Heyman mentioned about how he'd book him in TNA to just smash through everyone on his way to the title, just submitting or knocking people out before coming up against some monster and beating him easy? 

In some ways this feels like that. Danielson steam rolls everyone and beats Hangman for the belt because he's the best wrestler in the world. 

It sets Page up as well to keep doing what he does best, chasing. He's not wrestled since Omega whereas Danielson has stayed match ready. If Page loses because he's out wrestled, this time his passion just couldn't get it done, he'll feel like he should've avenged the Dark Order. Have him start his redemption arc by trying to improve in ring, storyline wise of course. Even try and get someone as a mentor because he does feel like the type of character that could use wisdom now and again. 

It may be a complete rehash of him and Omega but if you can say in a year that Page stopped Omega when he was at his highest and became the first man to beat an unstoppable Danielson, maybe even by submission, he'd be their biggest star by a mile. 

• Paid Members

If that happened Page will be dead in the water. How can the fans get behind a guy who chased the big one for 2 years then immediately loses it? Page needs a decent run and after a long heel title reign the show needs a decent babyface one.

Let’s not get carried away, Bryan is smashing lower card guys. It’s not like he’s beating top talent on this run since the PPV. He can take the defeat here and move on a fortnight later to something else and have the fans backing him again. I still worry as to why hangman hasn’t wrestled since the ppv. Even if hurt, losing here makes him look like all the worst level of first time champs wwe did then destroyed right away. And as first aew built star, gives a heavy TNA reek of our wrestlers aren’t as good as the wwe guys that arrive in 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Let’s not get carried away, Bryan is smashing lower card guys. It’s not like he’s beating top talent on this run since the PPV. He can take the defeat here and move on a fortnight later to something else and have the fans backing him again. I still worry as to why hangman hasn’t wrestled since the ppv. Even if hurt, losing here makes him look like all the worst level of first time champs wwe did then destroyed right away. And as first aew built star, gives a heavy TNA reek of our wrestlers aren’t as good as the wwe guys that arrive in 

Hangman has been handicapped by the storyline. He can't really wrestle until he faces Danielson. Once Winter is Coming was booked, you could then set up a match for Hangman to knock off the rust I suppose. It's just they'd be saving anyone decent for post-Danielson. Beating scrubs works for Danielson being a heelish bully, it doesn't really work for Hangman.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

In much more alarming AEW news

Screenshot_20211208_075358.jpg

I eagerly await the "Jack Evans busted on drug charges in Mexico" headlines to start breaking in the next few days then. 

2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

The champion shouldn't be Wrestling all the time though should they? "The champion must wrestle every week" is a very WWE thing.

It should always be a big deal, sure have the odd exhibition match like Omega did with Angels etc, but he should be Wrestling the absolute minimum.

So I started watching AEW around the Danielson debut PPV, I imagine many others did the same. I saw Kenny Omega defend the title once before losing it to Page, however it felt like I saw him wrestle a lot, at least a couple non title matches and it dfelt like he was in a bunch of multi man matches. I was very aware of him as champion without him actually defending the belt. I realise it helped him being part of a big focal stable so even if he wasn't wrestling he was hanging out with people on screen etc. But yeah, he felt like a presence...

I've not seen most of the Adam Page storyline (well I watched those youtube videos that helped). He seems like a fun wrestler in the one and a half matches I saw of him. I have no sense of him as a champion really, it's only been in contect o him defending against Danielson. They could've had him do something in these last three weeks. There'll be a lot of new fans that have barely seen him wrestle. The Winter is Coming match to me feels like "Bryan Danielson challenges for title" not "Adam Page defends title".

• Paid Members

AEW just has fewer title defences. Jericho only defended it 4 times. Mox 11. Omega 7. They can't have Hangman win it after that build up and then lose it without a successful title defence - that type of approach seriously damaged Naito and Ibushi in NJPW. He can have a shorter reign, by all means, but there's no way he'd be the guy to beat Danielson next year if he couldn't do it this year. Besides which, I want Miro/Hangman next.

Agreed that a tag match would have been a good thing by now, but I don't think the show is coming across like Hangman's ducking him or anything.

• Awards Moderator

It’s only been three weeks. Week 1 was meant to be Hangman’s celebration, week 2 he almost hit the Buckshot on Danielson, week 3 he was on commentary. He doesn’t have to wrestle to be part of the show. It’s hardly been a case of Lesnar winning a belt then sodding off for six months.

22 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I think with the original plan of Mox we probably would of have seen Hangman + 10/Silver v. Mox & Kingston.

The problem with Danielson is he doesn't really have anyone to team with.

Page doesn't have to face Danielson before their title match though.

He could still team with any member(s) of the Dark Order in a tag team match. 

Though I'm not that fussed Hangman hasn't wrestled. He's being presented as the one wanting to fight Danielson, while Bryan wants to fight anyone but Page. 

4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It’s only been three weeks. Week 1 was meant to be Hangman’s celebration, week 2 he almost hit the Buckshot on Danielson, week 3 he was on commentary. He doesn’t have to wrestle to be part of the show. It’s hardly been a case of Lesnar winning a belt then sodding off for six months.

Oh yeah, arguably I think it's more they could've had him doing some stuff before the title show as much as after (again saying this from perspective of fan who started watching after he'd gone on hiatus).

Although it seems maybe like this wasn't the exact plan and might be to do with injuries/rust/new baby