All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

This piece is quite old now (it was made when BJ had just resigned, so pre-dates the Truss car crash), but it's still worth a watch. I certainly didn't know that the Tories were using a fucking concierge service to maintain an open channel with the billionaire world.

A lot of this is not necessarily new, but it does open some different perspectives on stuff we already knew about. His bit about how he tried to put out pieces on just how much Johnson lied but was shut down by every outlet going is enlightening; certainly something you won't hear the wankers who complain about cancel culture talking about.

I'm still shocked by the fact that Peter fucking Oborne, of all people, is going after the Tories like this, but I'm glad he is. 

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

I'm still shocked by the fact that Peter fucking Oborne, of all people, is going after the Tories like this, but I'm glad he is. 

He one of the very few who shows contrition for not doing his job properly. Most of them are all “How did we end up here” without any self reflection 

• Paid Members

Nowadays breaking the ministerial code means the ministerial code gets rewritten. 

Come ON lads.  Focus.  This is a woman who regularly says proper racist shit, and is trying to ram through legislation that breaks about half a dozen international laws, and THIS is what we’re going after her for?

Just in case you’ve never been done for speeding, you get offered a driver awareness course in lieu of the fine and points on your license.

She asked if she could do her driver awareness course on her own, as opposed to with joe public which would be pretty embarrassing for a HS, and the answer was ‘no’ so she paid the fine and took the points.  As many people choose to do.  I cannot fathom how that is spun into “trying to avoid a fine”.

This is a nonsense story that will only undermine legitimate criticism of her actual misdemeanours.

17 minutes ago, Loki said:

Come ON lads.  Focus.  This is a woman who regularly says proper racist shit, and is trying to ram through legislation that breaks about half a dozen international laws, and THIS is what we’re going after her for?

No, this is the latest in a long collective line that we’re going after her for. We’ve gone after her for all the stuff you mentioned as well. This isn’t the thing that put her on the shitehawk radar. Incidentally we also went after her for seeing if you can pay a speeding fine using expenses. 

• Paid Members

Often this sort of thing is more likely to sink a politician, partly because it's the straw that broke the camel's back, but mostly because it's relatable. When she's being a horrendous racist pushing inhumane policies, it's obviously awful, but it's all within the sphere of "doing politics". When she uses her position to try and manipulate a situation outside of her role, it smacks of "one rule for them, another rule for us" - and that's what the general public hate most, the sense that somebody is getting away with something that they wouldn't. It's why being a self-serving, lying, lazy, corrupt bigot didn't sink Boris Johnson, but breaking rules while telling the rest of us to follow them did.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's why being a self-serving, lying, lazy, corrupt bigot didn't sink Boris Johnson, but breaking rules while telling the rest of us to follow them did.

It’s the Al Capone strategy innit. Didn’t get him on the big stuff, but got him nonetheless. 

My concern is that, if small scandals keep coming and are treated in much the same way by the press as the big ones, then those big ones become relatively less scandalous and prone to outrage. It's all part and parcel of desensitisation, where it all becomes "oh, another one <shrug>", and the perp can go quiet for a week to let the media stream wash it away.

6 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

My concern is that, if small scandals keep coming and are treated in much the same way by the press as the big ones, then those big ones become relatively less scandalous and prone to outrage. It's all part and parcel of desensitisation, where it all becomes "oh, another one <shrug>", and the perp can go quiet for a week to let the media stream wash it away.

Breaking ministerial code IS a big scandal, at least it was until the last few years. Johnson essentially rewrote the rules and marked his own mates homework. I think it was Blunkett who had to resign because he hadn’t declared one of his outside earnings, Pritti Patel had to resign over undeclared Israeli meetings, (before she was welcomed back by a new PM because she was a supporter of his)That’s how strict it was. When they got rewritten, the chief ethical advisor even quit because Johnson let Patrl off after another breach. 

It may not seem big to us plebs, but in Westminster it is a massive deal. You can’t get rid of people on moral grounds, because morality is subjective from person to person. But rules and technicalities apply to all. And as we’ve seen, they aren’t going to go over the big stuff, otherwise our current PM wouldn’t be near the job after being fined by the police. 

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

being a self-serving, lying, lazy, corrupt bigot didn't sink Boris Johnson, but breaking rules while telling the rest of us to follow them did.

Of course, that’s NOT what did for Johnson.  His MPs were fine with that.  What actually triggered the cabinet resignations that led to his exit was that Johnson had appointed as a whip someone he KNEW was a sex pest, and he lied about knowing, and most importantly was proven to have lied.

In the case of this Braverman story, it’s being used by No 10 to row her back into place rather than as an excuse to sack her, I think.  It certainly feels like a No 10 operation.

BUT what might actually stick is that she lied about the offence.  That will get traction.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Schadenfreude at its finest. Because Boris Johnson has got the government to pay for his lawyers for the COVID inquiry, technically their client is the Cabinet Office rather than him. As a result his lawyers had to send them all the case material, which includes his diaries.

The Cabinet Office had a look through and found an entry during lockdown that reads [paraphrased slightly] "had a massive dinner party with all my mates at Chequers." The officials reading this realised that might be a lockdown violation and have now reported it to the police who have opened an investigation.