Television Holy Grails

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

WIth Channel 4 stuff, with it being a publisher broadcaster, could the rights as regards archiving and stuff belong to the production company?

I hadn't thought of that actually. It was a Ragdoll Productions show, I wonder if they've decided to bury it because of how weird it was? Mind you, almost all their shows have been weird. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Round the Bend has been easily available over YouTube for years. How is it a rarity?

Out of interest, I went searching for something that was on Children's BBC for a while when I was a kid called Treasure in Malta. I think I only watched it because it was made in Malta and we'd been there on holidays a few times.

From what I found out on Wikipedia, it was apparently edited down from a Children's Film Foundation movie into a TV serial but the original film may be lost even though the series is on YouTube. It was made in 1963, why the hell were BBC1 showing that in the late 80s on CBBC?

Also, the uploads on YouTube are in four parts yet the Wikipedia entry says it was released in six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_in_Malta

I also noticed there's hardly any footage of Pob's Programme about, and I can't see any DVD releases of it anywhere. It'll be one of those that some kid taped all the episodes of and they're up in his or her mum's loft waiting to be rediscovered. What's Channel 4's archiving like in general? As shit as BBC's?

Channel 4 didn't create any of it's content and it was all commissioned by smaller production companies, which was a big art of it being set up in the first place. I don't think it was till later on in their life that they started buying the distribution and copyright of the shows they broadcast so even if they had a half decent archive, chances are they wouldn't own the footage they had a copy of.

Edit: Beaten to it by Speedy Butch 

Edited by chokeout

Speaking of Channel 4, I have hazy memories of a French cartoon being shown very early on, I think, Sunday mornings.

Im sure it was Tintin-esque style, kids being adventurers/detectives and the only memory I have is them running through a train.

Could’ve been French, could’ve also been any language if I’m being honest. Not much to go on I know.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Speaking of Channel 4, I have hazy memories of a French cartoon being shown very early on, I think, Sunday mornings.

Im sure it was Tintin-esque style, kids being adventurers/detectives and the only memory I have is them running through a train.

Could’ve been French, could’ve also been any language if I’m being honest. Not much to go on I know.

It doesn't completely fit your description, but the first thing that came to mind for me was Lupin the 3rd; the movie of which definitely got played on Channel 4 a bunch, though I don't know if the series ever was.

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It doesn't completely fit your description, but the first thing that came to mind for me was Lupin the 3rd; the movie of which definitely got played on Channel 4 a bunch, though I don't know if the series ever was.

Not sure it was that looking at some images. He looks well like Gareth Bale though!

• Paid Members

One of my holy grails would be to get the entire run of "Freddy's Nightmares" in a nice sparkling, cleaned up format on DVD or BR. I already have them all on a fan made set I purchased years ago, and while a good few of them look really good for a TV series made and broadcast in the 80's, most of them are VHS rips and look shit...

Anyone remember the Rambo Animated Series? Was it shown over here, as i dont remember it at all. Only found out about it the other day randomly online and I can't see any dvd releases of all the episodes available.

Not even any *ahem* downloads available either.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, zep81 said:

Anyone remember the Rambo Animated Series? Was it shown over here, as i dont remember it at all. Only found out about it the other day randomly online and I can't see any dvd releases of all the episodes available.

1ug1ty.jpg

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, zep81 said:

Though I remember the toys (and had some) for this and Robocop and the Ultra Police I don’t remember either being shown here

14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Only French cartoon I remember from around that time is Robo Story. But it doesn't sound like what you are on about. No-one else seems to remember it.

3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Only French cartoon I remember from around that time is Robo Story. But it doesn't sound like what you are on about. No-one else seems to remember it.

Definitely not that. I reckon I’ve made it up to be honest.

• Paid Members
On 6/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Carbomb said:

I don't know if anyone else remembers, but there was a series of programmes called Your Mother Wouldn't Like It, and it was basically the kids' arm of "Yoof TV". 

I think I only saw the first episode of Your Mother Wouldn't Like It because my mother, predictably, thought it was utter tosh.

Coincidentally, back in 2012 I was working for a guy that was the stage manager for Your Mother Wouldn't Like It. He was amazed that I knew of it, and also that I could reference Mr T with a sandwich round his neck.

My Holy Grail - which I've mentioned here before - was a sketch show called Nuts. Possibly a one-off, it was just a series of running gags that got resolved at the end of the program. Someone desperately trying to open a coconut, a man pumping up his bike tire for what seemed like eternity, a moose going shopping.

I think that every sketch might have actually been speechless now that I think about it.

I keep looking, but the internet seemingly has no record of it.

• Paid Members

Somebody should at least show that BBC short-lived soap "Eldorado". "Who is the old gay guy's secret boyfriend from the characters? It was the young guy going out with the hot, blonde, young Swede!" was the best story in it, IMO. Wasn't as bad as media keep on making it out to be. It was on at a funny time. Against Corrie sometimes. It was like TNA vs WWE during those few Monday nights.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I love TV Cream's review of it, and this about the ending:

The show was hastily wound up, ending less than spectacularly with Tandy's flash sports car exploding from a bomb, and magically turning into a rather cheaper car a fraction of a second before it did so.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Somebody should at least show that BBC short-lived soap "Eldorado". "Who is the old gay guy's secret boyfriend from the characters? It was the young guy going out with the hot, blonde, young Swede!" was the best story in it, IMO. Wasn't as bad as media keep on making it out to be. It was on at a funny time. Against Corrie sometimes. It was like TNA vs WWE during those few Monday nights.

That is out there, if you are of a mind to find it.