Stuff you hated as a kid and grew to love

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Country Music / Johnny Cash - Would get dragged along to the pub on a Sunday afternoon and there'd always be an "act" on murdering Take Me Home Country Roads or Rhinestone Cowboy. My Grandad would always play Country in the car while my uncle used to play Johnny Cash all the time and I hated both. By my late teens I loved both and still adore them.

Westerns - Another thing my Grandad forced upon me. He bloody loved John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. I used to sit bored shitless through them but grew to love them. Particularly the Spghetti Westerns. He'd force War films upon me but as much as the World Wars fascinate me, I've never got into the films. Did watch Bridge on the River Kwai recently though which was good. That was one he loved.

Veg - Obvious one. Hated it all the way up to my early 20s but I've grown to love it bit by bit. First greens, then salad and recently peppers and mushrooms. Still hate tomatoes wih a passion though, they can fuck off.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mince Pies. Hated them as a kid and it used to puzzle me why people would actually spend money and choose to eat them. We got some the other year though and I had one as I was craving something sweet and they were the only things left. My god, I'm addicted to the things now and actually get giddy at the thought of the shop stocking them as Christmas come s round each year.

Egg. Couldn’t stand it as a child. Hated the way it looked, the way it smelt, the weird way the yolk fucked about - wasn’t going anywhere near my mouth. Love it now, especially after some wonderful omlette combinations.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Country Music / Johnny Cash - Would get dragged along to the pub on a Sunday afternoon and there'd always be an "act" on murdering Take Me Home Country Roads or Rhinestone Cowboy. My Grandad would always play Country in the car while my uncle used to play Johnny Cash all the time and I hated both. By my late teens I loved both and still adore them.

Veg - Obvious one. Hated it all the way up to my early 20s but I've grown to love it bit by bit. First greens, then salad and recently peppers and mushrooms. Still hate tomatoes wih a passion though, they can fuck off.

Bang on for me too. I grew to love veg as soon as moved out for the first time as it quickly became a cheap and reliable alternative to meat. Red peppers and broccers are gifts from the Gods.

I've only grown to like country in the last couple of years, but I really regret passing it off as hacky shite for so long. Modern country (especially 'bro country') can get to fuck though.

Agree with Country music. Bloody love it now. 

Olives, I think you need to be in your late 20’s before you appreciate them. 

Frasier - My cousin used to babysit us so Friday consisted of Pizza, Friends and Frasier. Hated Frasier but adore it now. 

Archived