Stuff you hated as a kid and grew to love

tiger_rick

Veg and sleep are big ones for me, too. I'll chuck in The Beatles and footie to the conversation. 

I was one of them maudlin, stuffy sort of lads who went on about football being crude, uninteresting fare for years whilst collecting my Silvervision tapes, moping about in a Nine Inch Nails shirt and crying over Final Fantasy VII. I can't even tell when I got into it, but it was some time in my early twenties. Now I see it the same as I've always seen wrestling: An ever present, always-something-happening circus of intrigue, skill and characters. Functioning both as excitement bubbling, edge of your seat entertainment and "not that into this one, but it's relaxing" meditative sort of screen wallpaper. 

The Beatles my dad used to always play, and as a kid all I heard to be honest with you was a load of low energy, pitter-patter, stock tunes. Their significance didn't really weigh on me. Then I done the usual teenage thing of smoking weed and listening to everything from Rubber Soul on and they became irresistible to me. Now they're a lifelong fascination, and to be honest I'm one of those people who'll scoff at you if you tell me they were nothing special or completely overrated. I can't help it. Just like I can't help doing that tiny little judgement when people tell me they don't read for enjoyment. Not liking The Beatles and not reading for enjoyment. I try not to make a face at those two things, but I can't.

I'm still one of them maudlin, stuffy sort of lads. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

A bit more specific here, but knock off toys.

Nothing worse than getting a Mega Ranger instead of a Power Ranger from Aunty Maureen, but I bloody love the plight of some of those cheap nasty toys now. For example, Manix are amazing, look at the state of them.

89B9D3AE-FB6E-4D2F-9B48-3F012DEBD264.jpeg

You could have easily conned me into thinking that Diesel figure was legit if you bought me one as a child. He'd have been taller thant the rest of the regular hasbros, no?

4 inches and Kevin Nash just dont sound right together.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You could have easily conned me into thinking that Diesel figure was legit if you bought me one as a child. He'd have been taller thant the rest of the regular hasbros, no?

4 inches and Kevin Nash just dont sound right together.

The 2 in the middle and 2 on the right are real head molds of Hulk, Adam Bomb, Lex & Razor.

The 2 on the left are are very good molds of Diesel and HBK (minus sunglasses). Many of us assumed they were molds of unreleased figures, but it’s never been proven yet. Cracking set of shit figures though. They were crap, hollow plastic bodies, held together with a screw in the back. Close to around 1cm taller than general hasbros. They also came in alternate paint jobs. So that hogan also came in nwo black.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I own that. Brought it in a poundshop in 2002. Say what you want about Quid Land, but they knew the time to put nWo knockoffs on the shelf didnt they?

No doubt mate, on trend. However, maybe jumping the gun a bit with a Lashley and title 2-pack mind!

E3F9B3A6-4437-45B9-A7FE-7CA89E0FB9F4.jpeg

Christmas. It may sound weird but here goes. As a teenager I hated buying presents for people and wrapping. Christmas didn't mean much to me. Even as a kid it was about mince pies and presents. 

As an adult I love buying presents. Thinking about what people want but won't have. I don't spend to impress, one of the cheapest presents I got for my step dad is my fave. I like seeing my girlfriend smile when unwrapping presents, not just from me but everyone. I love just unwrapping presents these days. I tell you now at least 1 person better have got me socks. As a kid it was heavy on expense but I love anything. I enjoy wrapping presents (only recently) and I try to abide by the Arthur Christmas rule of 3 bits of sticky tape. I love sitting round the table and spending time with people and also calling others. 

• Awards Moderator

Castles and art galleries and places like that. When we were on family holidays my parents used to drag my sister and I around these places under duress and I couldn’t think of anything more boring to do with my time. These days I could happily spend a full day at just about any one of them, and usually do.

I used to hate baked beans as a kid. I think it was because my dad used to eat half a tin, put the rest in the fridge and there'd always be one anaemic looking bean protruding at the top that would put me right off. Then when I met my missus, her mum made some with dinner that I had to eat out of politeness And do you know what? I bloody loved them. I've since discovered the joys of adding Worcester sauce when cooking them for extra flavour. So you're never too old to have your opinion change on something.

• Paid Members

Add me into the group for Country Music (a mate was in a fairly successful UK country band that played on Radio 2 for Dermot O'Leary and through her fell in love with the music), Pizza (exactly the same reason of wanting to be a Turtle), Westons (got "forced to watch for my degree and now love them) and Socks at Christmas (because who doesn't love warm feet?).

I want to add Cricket, Cooking and Reading.

Cricket I absolutely hated during school, watching it, playing it, people trying to explain why standing around in all white on a field as a hard ball hurtles towards you was fun but now I love just sitting down and watching it, especially stuff like T20 or the IPL which just seems more fast paced and fun.

Cooking I up until I was about 15 just despised. School lessons on it, helping out at home, even making a basic fry up seemed stupid to me. I think once I got into baking and took it as a GCSE as a doss and realised how technical you could get (yay Aspergers) in looking at protein and following lists and plans and all that but also getting to be creative I really started to love it. I think because its a passion for so many people as well but no two people are exactly the same in taste means I can talk about it, which is great as I struggle with social queues and topics.

Reading just made me tired. School syllabus was always a bit of a drag and I never got the hype on Potter, LOTR or Game of Thrones when I could just watch it. Last two or three years though I really enjoy having a quiet day/night where I can sit and read and escape for a little bit. I actually would like to see a UKFF thread on books as I'm still a bit stunted in working out what to read and what to avoid.

• Awards Moderator

Just remembered another one for me. Fizzy drinks. Never liked them at all when I was a kid, but when I got to uni and started trying to make friends by going on nights out I had to pick something non-alcoholic (I don’t drink) and trained myself to like Coke/Pepsi etc. I’ll happily drink it now but up to the age of 18 I wouldn’t have touched the stuff.

• Moderators
On 12/22/2018 at 3:01 PM, Shy Dad said:

Cricket I absolutely hated during school, watching it, playing it, people trying to explain why standing around in all white on a field as a hard ball hurtles towards you was fun but now I love just sitting down and watching it, especially stuff like T20 or the IPL which just seems more fast paced and fun.

tenor.gif?itemid=5309474

• Paid Members
On 12/22/2018 at 3:01 PM, Shy Dad said:

tenor.gif

Archived