Brexit

Devon Malcolm

As would I of course. Food and medicine shortages could be catastrophic. Although, so could a majority Tory/Brexit party government and almost certainly for a longer period of time. The number of deaths attributable to welfare reform alone is already horrific. It's a bleak, bleak outlook across the UK at the moment. 

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Brexit isn't, and never will be over. Pandora's box is well and truly open.

Deal, No Deal, Remain, whatever the outcome of the current shit-storm, it will rage on for fucking decades. So whatever your stance, saying you want it 'over and done with' is fucking nonsense and means nothing.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Brexit isn't, and never will be over. Pandora's box is well and truly open.

Deal, No Deal, Remain, whatever the outcome of the current shit-storm, it will rage on for fucking decades. So whatever your stance, saying you want it 'over and done with' is fucking nonsense and means nothing.

Exactly. Back in 2016, this nation got a wake-up call, learning that half the people in it are diametrically opposed to each other, not because of the result, but because of the views behind some of it. The Leavers keep going on about "we need to start coming together", but that's never going to happen - not as long as the result is continually treated like a zero-sum game, and they keep saying "you lost, get over it", instead of actually addressing the legitimate concerns of people that Brexit does screw badly.

We could have a Brexit that minimises the initial impact on people's lives and go on to create a society that could be good for everyone, but it needs Leavers to recognise that a decision like this needs to cater to the needs of the 100% (or as close as one can get to it), not the 30%.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

When the GE is called, if Cronyn doesn’t attend every rally wearing a chicken suit, he’s missed a trick

What's King Slim got to do with this? [/oldschoolukff]

The electorate aren't to blame for this. Parliamentarians from every major party have behaved appallingly since the Tories won a majority and declared a referendum. Careerist politics have been at the forefront of Labour and Lib Dem policy across the whole issue and the leadership shown by Corbyn has been non-existent.  

Even the SNP, who have been at least consistent in their policy, are treading a dangerous path. I find it amazing that they are calling for a vote with Remain as an option while continuing to say they'll use a mandate for indyref 2 before 2021. How can they expect people to believe that a vote for Yes would ensure independence with a smooth transition while this shit show is going on around Brexit?

The people who will be most affected by food shortages are the ones the furthest removed from the policy making. In fact, many of them are already experiencing food shortages and are using food banks as a result of welfare reform and austerity. All this while the Parliamentary Labour Party can't agree on a coherent strategy to address the damage being waged by a Tory government. 

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

What happens now that Amber Rudd has left the Tory party? Boris now has a minority even if he persuaded the whole party to go with the whip. Has she done this on purpose to try and further force an election?

Well with the Tories this morning saying they will, against long-standing convention of the kind Moggy loves to spout, stand against Bercow in an election, I think it's altogether more likely that Boris may push for it; banking on Corbyn being unable to "command" a minority government in the 14 days and forcing the issue to an election by simple majority, rather than the FTPA's 2/3s

• Paid Members

That's no use for him. They can't do a no confidence motion till Tuesday (has to be put down the day before.) If they got that through, either Corbyn or someone else takes over, or the opposition just lets the 14 days run down and spark the election automatically. Johnson would set the date but it has to be 25 working days later, meaning October 29. By then he's either asked for the extension (and collapsed in the polls to the Brexit Party), resigned to get out of it, or is in jail for contempt.

15 minutes ago, JNLister said:

That's no use for him. They can't do a no confidence motion till Tuesday (has to be put down the day before.) If they got that through, either Corbyn or someone else takes over, or the opposition just lets the 14 days run down and spark the election automatically. Johnson would set the date but it has to be 25 working days later, meaning October 29. By then he's either asked for the extension (and collapsed in the polls to the Brexit Party), resigned to get out of it, or is in jail for contempt.

Stop it. My penis can only get so erect...

What incredible and scary times we live in. I just wish the Lib Dems were flying in the poles.....at least then I'd have some semblance of hope!

I can see a scenario where Boris does a deal now with Farage to allow Boris to extend to avoid breaking the law (without being eviscerated by Nigel et al), then have Nigel's backing and a Brexit Party pact, standing on a no deal platform at a subsequent GE. It's shaping up to be the Brexit Election in December and my biggest fear is Corbyn will be the blocker of a true Remain Coalition coming together to fight it.

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought your lot were against immigration?

Your still pushing this MPDTT is a Tory Cunt thing....I'll save you the time of searching through old posts...I was a Tory member until 2016, quit my membership post referendum and supported the Lib Dems ever since. Voted for them at the last election, although Steve Reed won the seat (Labour). Remainer over everything.....

I can never see myself going back, what's left is just rotten.

Also I'm a 2nd generation immigrant and dual national!