VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

Just now, UK Kat Von D said:

Yeah she left one hell of a legacy behind! Did you ever play with Drongos For Europe as well? They are another brummie punk band and awesome guys as well

Ha yeah a few times! I see a few names still touring after all these years, fair play to them for sticking to something they love doing!

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ha yeah a few times! I see a few names still touring after all these years, fair play to them for sticking to something they love doing!

Dek the bass player is one of the toughest people I know. Saw him at a U.K. Subs gig a few months after he had a massive stroke. Most people would have called it a day, but he worked his arse off to get back on stage and touring. He is also a big Progress fan! 

• Paid Members

20181018_164216.jpg

Cooking question on this stuff. 

Both instructions say to heat a 'sauce' on the hob and then add the stuff and simmer for 10 minutes. Kind of understandable for the mince, although that seems to need around 500ml which seems excessive. 

Can I not just heat the fillets in the oven? Don't want them with any sauce. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Those Quorn products have both milk and egg in them IIRC.

Carbomb below is correct, although, I've noticed that some of the normal range stuff may be vegan too. You really have to check each product individually.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Those Quorn products have both milk and egg in them IIRC.

That's correct for the pieces. They do vegan versions of those as well though. Not sure on the mince, might well be vegan, always worth checking the ingredients if you're not sure with quorn. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, mim731 said:

That's correct for the pieces. They do vegan versions of those as well though. Not sure on the mince, might well be vegan, always worth checking the ingredients if you're not sure with quorn. 

Vegan Quorn products always have it clearly marked on the front. Asda “mince” I believe is Vegan

• Awards Moderator

Before I start this, I've been making 4 dinners a week meat-free. I've tried some lovely things! Some really great recipes. There's so many cultures out there naturally meat-free there's plenty of options. I'm always a bit dubious of 'meat substitutes' - just enjoy the variety! 

I tried "100% plant based" steak Vivera this evening. I had a press release about them so was very interested. The packaging says "looks like steak, tastes like steak." It's completely vegan. 

It looks like a really cheap burger from a Farmfoods. From a brand you've never heard of. 

It cooks for 5 minutes in a pan. It browns nicely. 

It tasted disgusting

Like a damp sponge. Like a flabby, uniform piece of cloth. Absolutely revolting.

AVOID. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Before I start this, I've been making 4 dinners a week meat-free. I've tried some lovely things! Some really great recipes. There's so many cultures out there naturally meat-free there's plenty of options. I'm always a bit dubious of 'meat substitutes' - just enjoy the variety! 

I tried "100% plant based" steak Vivera this evening. I had a press release about them so was very interested. The packaging says "looks like steak, tastes like steak." It's completely vegan. 

It looks like a really cheap burger from a Farmfoods. From a brand you've never heard of. 

It cooks for 5 minutes in a pan. It browns nicely. 

It tasted disgusting

Like a damp sponge. Like a flabby, uniform piece of cloth. Absolutely revolting.

AVOID. 

Interesting. I had one about 6 months after giving up meat and enjoyed it. Maybe, like Vegan cheese, it’s better once you’ve not had the real deal for a while

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Interesting. I had one about 6 months after giving up meat and enjoyed it. Maybe, like Vegan cheese, it’s better once you’ve not had the real deal for a while

I had Quorn pieces as well this week, they were rank too. I just don't see the point in these awful meat substitutes when there's great meatless options out there.