VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
Just now, Onyx2 said:

I had Quorn pieces as well this week, they were rank too. I just don't see the point in these awful meat substitutes when there's great meatless options out there. 

I think it’s a mental thing as I think both are fairly good subs, though inferior to things like Icelands No Bull range.

but it’s simply easier to think of recipes with a meat sub some times and anything that reduces meat consumption, no matter your stance, is a good thing. I think Asda’s frozen meatless burgers are pretty good and an easy option if I want a simple option for lunch

• Paid Members

I don't really use Quorn mince and stuff very often and if I do I mostly use lots of vegetables and just put a bit of the mince in for texture, and I cook it first like Gus. Just following the directions of putting a handful of the mince in heating sauce for a bit is horrible, the mince soaks up all the liquid and you end up with something weird and stodgy with no flavour.

As Chest said, quorn pieces and mince are as tasty as what you cook them in.  I do the fillets in the oven with a bit of @Carbomb approved DRAPS sprinkled on them, make sure you don't overdo them or they'll be dry.

Tell you what would be great for vegans if quorn sort out a vegan version and that's their bratwurst.  They're cracking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Anyone here ever made a shepherds pie with quorn mince? looking for tips please. I cant use gravy granules to thicken and stop the potato sinking, i have to use cornflour instead in my meat based Pies, 

Yes ralphy, I have done. My biggest tip would be as I said before - know that the quorn mince absorbs a lot of liquid so make sure it doesn't get too dry. Lots of tomatoes or soaking it in vegetable stock should do the trick.

55 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

How close to fresh beef mince texture is quorn? My worry is it will be like those frozen beef pellet type minces you get that end up a mush. 

It's pretty good, again it depends on what you cook it with.  If you do a bolognese with it, it's spot on.  You obviously don't get the gristle you do with the cheap mince.

• Awards Moderator

Professional cunt William Sitwell steps down from editing Waitrose magazine after suggesting vegans should be killed one by one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46042314

He's been caught out badly here. He has a caustic sense of humour and made the comment in a silly way in a private email so it's an OTT reaction. However I hate the odious privileged twat so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. 

• Paid Members

For anyone that fancies trying them, the rather excellent No Bull Burgers in Iceland are £1 today for World Vegan Day (No, I had no idea and why aren’t Clinton’s selling a range of cards to send your loved ones for this special day?). It’s a good way of trying a meat free alternative 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Professional cunt William Sitwell steps down from editing Waitrose magazine after suggesting vegans should be killed one by one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46042314

He's been caught out badly here. He has a caustic sense of humour and made the comment in a silly way in a private email so it's an OTT reaction. However I hate the odious privileged twat so it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. 

It looks like a real dick move and pretty unprofessional of the journo to share a private email like that. I get that he wound her up with his shitty response but she doesn't look very good coming out of this either.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It looks like a real dick move and pretty unprofessional of the journo to share a private email like that. I get that he wound her up with his shitty response but she doesn't look very good coming out of this either.

Absolutely. Anyone else would have my sympathy, I just hate him. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Absolutely. Anyone else would have my sympathy, I just hate him. 

From this weeks Popbitch mailout

>> Seitan's little helper <<
Doesn't Sitwell with others 

William Sitwell is currently being held aloft as the latest victim of PC culture, kicked out of the editor's chair at Waitrose Magazine simply for making an ill-judged joke about trapping and killing vegans to a freelance journalist who pitched him a vegan column – but there may be a touch more to the situation that just that. 

Sitwell has apparently been considered something of an office liability for a while now, so it's no real surprise that his post-lunch emails were a little near the knuckle. 

Coming back to work one afternoon, rather refreshed after a longish lunch break, he loudly announced to the office "It smells of cunt in here!" Then, on another occasion, he was ushered out of a client meeting for turning up in similarly good spirits (he then used this unexpectedly free time to pop back out for a top-up).

And the less said about his nights on the town with Hardeep Singh Kohli, the better...