VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So you're one of those grown men that I see on the train who pretend to read the rest of the free newspaper really quickly and then linger on the middle gossip page for about ten minutes...

naa, i'm still playing angry birds 2

On 11/1/2018 at 9:08 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

It looks like a real dick move and pretty unprofessional of the journo to share a private email like that. I get that he wound her up with his shitty response but she doesn't look very good coming out of this either.

I didn’t think respecting privacy was part of being a journalist? Not like she was tapping phones and hacking his computer, he said it directly to her. Fair game I reckon.

Seems like they wanted an excuse to get rid of him anyway and it could cause them to lose a lot of money if Vegans decided to spend their money elsewhere.

Fuck him though, he can get a new job.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Off to Berlin on Monday for a couple days

Mate, you'll be spoilt for choice for vegan options! Make sure to get a vegan donner, they are superb, and relatively widely available!  

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Mate, you'll be spoilt for choice for vegan options! Make sure to get a vegan donner, they are superb, and relatively widely available!  

Yeah the food is one of the main reasons I wanna go! No idea why it’s taken me so long but it’s been on my to do list for years now 

• Paid Members
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, UK Kat Von D said:

Had a wicked curry last night from a place called Milan Indian Cuisine 

ue6wbDW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Off to Berlin on Monday for a couple days, attempting sobriety at the moment (6 days off everything) so I’ll be eating constantly 

Milan's is a nationwide chain that you should be able to find where there is a sizeable Indian population. Give thevPau bhaji a try next time. It's almost an Indian version of sloppy Joe.

@Ralphy. Passata is a concentrated tomato sauce. You may want to try thinning it out with water.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

New vegan place opened near me - mostly doing burgers, "ribs", "fish and chips", and other meat lookalike stuff. Been getting a lot of praise on social media, but it's new, and the first exclusively vegan place in Jersey, so bound to get a lot of fuss made over it. 

Tried their breakfast on Saturday - couple of veggie sausages, "facon", scrambled tofu, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, toast. In dire need of a hash brown or two. 

The scrambled tofu was a bit stodgy, and the sausages nothing special, but by far the nicest mock bacon I've ever eaten. It's normally horrible stuff, but quite enjoyed this - definitely going to ask them how it's done.

• Paid Members

Because I'm not just a loyal carnist I tried seitan on Saturday. At a restraunt i hasten to add, i dont want out of work abbattoir workers knowing where i live. Had it battered in chunks in a sweet and sour sauce. Looked just like chicken pieces that had been deep fried. Texture was good, very much like chicken. Taste, I'm not so sure about. I know it comes from gluten but does it always taste quite so floury? Did I just get some sub standard seitan?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Intrigued by vegan ribs...

Likewise. I've found in the past that what makes the most difference in ribs usually is the sauce, so if they've got that right, could be good. The meat does have some influence - I usually prefer lamb ribs to pork, a bit richer - so if they use a firm seitan or tempeh to give that satisfying "chew" to the teeth, I reckon that'd work well. Bit like the Quorn nuggets - not much flavour in themselves, but the coating makes them boss, and the texture is very close to chicken indeed.

• Paid Members

Ah, I see. I think, if fast food chains like Subway are anything to go by, they wouldn't bother. Subway still have their "pork rib", which is just a long burger - and that thing's made of meat, so I think those who worship seitan or throw tempeh tantrums wouldn't care either.