VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

1 minute ago, Silky Kisser said:

Most of the food you post looks like it's very nice, made using top quality ingredients ... I'm assuming it's pretty expensive? 

Curious as to what the cash strapped vegans tend to do on a nightly basis. 

It's not too expensive to cook your own vegan food but there is certainly a little added vegan tax, you have to shop out for offers more often. I'd imagine it's tougher when you're feeding a family and you can't afford to take that extra time searching.

The main thing I miss is being able to buy stuff from the reduced aisle, that lifesaver is pretty much vanished now.

I saw a thing that was pointing out how obesity hotspots around the country also have about 10 times less spent per head on public transport.  The person wasn't saying it's the be all and end all, but having better public transport can enable people to get to healthier options.  As I've said, I'm really lucky where I live for vegan food and local businesses, but for people to shop here it might be a ball ache to wait for a bus.  I found it quite interesting anyway.

• Paid Members

It shouldn't in theory be too expensive to cook vegan food, provided you don't mind missing out on meat substitutes. Fresh fruit and veg is only really expensive if you buy organic; if you shop around, you should be able to find plenty of ingredients that won't break the bank.

The main headache would most likely be spices and herbs, I'd imagine. Plus maybe prep time for more complex ingredients like garlic paste, etc.

• Paid Members

You can buy things like spices and garlic paste very cheaply from Asian supermarkets, if you live near any of those, which lets face it, you do if you are vegan. If I were to go vegan, it would make my food shop a hell of a lot cheaper. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, gmoney said:

You can buy things like spices and garlic paste very cheaply from Asian supermarkets, if you live near any of those, which lets face it, you do if you are vegan. If I were to go vegan, it would make my food shop a hell of a lot cheaper. 

That's very true - I live near loads, but I just wanted to take into account that maybe there are a fair few people on here who don't have access to that. But you're absolutely right.

2 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Most of the food you post looks like it's very nice, made using top quality ingredients ... I'm assuming it's pretty expensive? 

Curious as to what the cash strapped vegans tend to do on a nightly basis. 

I spend quite a bit on food, probably no more than if I ate meat though because of the way I feed myself. Im always ordering in and won’t think twice about going to a restaurant/cafe for three separate meals in a day. 

I work really hard and don’t have much interest in material possessions, so I buy lots of food