• Paid Members

Its not actually the bench from the opening credits, but one that was placed there shortly after his death. I actually went down there a few nights ago, go every year, there's a Rik Mayall fan group on Facebook called The Rejects that have regular meetings. Usually at the bench first and then off to the nearby Wetherspoons. 

I'm not actually sure what happened to the original bench or even it's precise location, but that bench was unveiled in 2014, pretty much for the reason as to how iconic the bench in the opening credits was. (The building site they were on during the credit sequence is now that shopping centre over the road). 

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30018809 - Rik Mayall 'Bottom' bench unveiled in Hammersmith)

There are no tributes there now other than the plaque on the back of the bench, mostly due to wear and tear and also because some bastards kept nicking them. 

Edited by eugenespeed
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ever notice how life in general got worse when Rik Mayall died? You get a sense if he hadnt passed away the world would be much better than it is.

Someone found the masters to the title sequence and George Lucased them. https://vimeo.com/515651356 The final 20 seconds or so are little bits of extra Hammersmith bench tomfoolery.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

When asked what's in the mystery cocktail or dirty pint, there is only one answer :

"Brandy! Meths, pernod, paint stripper, Mr Sheen, brake fluid..... and Drambuie."

DRAMBUIE!!!!?

OOO HOO-HOO HOO-HOO

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Fun fact for you all: Teenage Bacon used to knock around with Rupert Bates daughter, famously Mr Tent in S'Out and Mr Wormwood in Burglary. Of course, all of us teenage boys thought this was the best thing ever.

He once found me and a friend being sick in his lovely garden in Teddington. He was very nice about it, unlike Greg Dyke when he found me doing something in his garden.

My favourite Bottom moment is Eddie getting annoyed at the extra in the Woolpack "Lucky BASTAAAAAAAAAARD"

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, eugenespeed said:

Its not actually the bench from the opening credits, but one that was placed there shortly after his death. 

You've ruined it now. 

Nah thanks for the info. I knew it couldn't be the exact same bench because the one in the credits was wooden but I assumed it was put in the same place as the old one. Either way, it's nice that it's there.

"Running Neville, no, Sitting Neville, no...SQUATTING NEVILLE!"

Edited by wandshogun09
  • Paid Members

Bottom is one of those rare shows where almost every line is quotable to some degree. The writing is amazing. And I don't agree it's dated at all, and not just because of the large concentration of slapstick.

I think it might have been @PowerButchi who compared to Harold Pinter's work in terms of the way Richie and Eddie relate to each other and address each other. It's easily one of the greatest sitcoms ever made.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

They weren't the same characters as in Bottom were they? I know they act just like them but it's more of an unoffcial Bottom movie, maybe.

They were still Richie and Eddie, but with different surnames. 

Richard Twat (pronounced Thwaite) and Edward Elizabeth Ngumbaba.