Chippy Tea

Onyx2

Last night, I put an order in to pickup at the local chippy for 2 cod and chips. 10 minutes later I wandered down to collect it and the ladies behind the counter looked like they had seen a ghost. 

Apparently they gave the cod I ordered to the previous customer who claimed he rang in for it (he didn't) but they couldn't be sure as they knew this old fella suffered from dementia. So I had to wait for some fresh fish to cook.

I did get compensation though, they chucked in two large battered sausage. It is a shame my wife only eats white meat so I was well and truly stuffed last night.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Just asked a friend in Edinburgh, and they do.

I live in Edinburgh (lived in several places through the UK) and it is comfortably the most staunch on its favourite sauce. Regardless it overpowers anything it is placed on and makes me lack respect for the city  

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, ElCece said:

I live in Edinburgh (lived in several places through the UK) and it is comfortably the most staunch on its favourite sauce. Regardless it overpowers anything it is placed on and makes me lack respect for the city  

This is reminding me of explaining the cultural impact of the newspaper strip 'The Broons' to someone. They asked 'So... is it funny?', and the answer was 'Well, no. But it's Scottish, and that's the most important thing.'

• Moderators

Me and my mate get his wife from Kirkcaldy to say "Help m'boab", "But n Ben" and "michty me!" all the while as she exhaustedly points out noone in Scotland speaks like that or gives a toss about the Broons. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

This is reminding me of explaining the cultural impact of the newspaper strip 'The Broons' to someone. They asked 'So... is it funny?', and the answer was 'Well, no. But it's Scottish, and that's the most important thing.'

It’s like any reality tv show. The scotch always vote for their one to get it right up the English, wearing the inferiority complex like a badge of honour. I also think this is the only logical explanation for Biffy Clyro. 

I've lived in Scotland for 14 years and when I'd not long moved here I quickly noticed how insanely popular Irn Bru was.

A mate up here excitedly told me that Scotland is one of the only countries in the world where Coca Cola isn't the top selling soft drink before going on to say that he wasn't even sure if he liked it but it was Scottish so any time it was an option he would take it.

There's few better ways I could explain Scotland to people who have never lived here than someone drinking something they're not even sure they like just because it's from Scotland.

To keep this on topic however, proper Irn Bru before they ruined it by changing the recipe to avoid the sugar tax, ice cold from a glass bottle is the greatest drink to have with a chippy.

Edited by Jonny Vegas