Mission: Impossible

Devon Malcolm

He also seems to be ageing kinda normally, as opposed to tons of plastic surgery.  Dude looks obviously older and more lined in his middle age.  Seems at odds with the strangeness of his Scientology lifestyle, but there you are.

It's not just that he's still convincing as an action hero, it's that he's clearly an incredible producer as well.  His choice of scripts, directors, parts... the quality he brings to all his productions...  He's not afraid to take risks, to try new things, and he pours a lot of what he learns into his baby, which is obviously this franchise.

No other modern star seems to take such care over their output.

Different genre of films, but Tom Hanks is no slouch even in his advancing years!

I would class Hanks as a prestige actor. Also he's accessible.

Cruise is an all round Movie Star, as @Loki mentions his input into all his films is all consuming, he's involved in every aspect. He's doing his own stunts all to get the best for the audience.

Also, and I know this sounds slightly odd, but I don't really know that much about him. Unlike a Hanks etc. he's not accessible at all. He's wrapped up in a batshit mystique that is hard to know whats going on there. His insanity adds to it all.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just finished our now annual watch of all the films over the last week or so. As usual utterly superb. My kid is as big a mark for Tom Cruise's run as anyone. I absolutely love watching them with her.

Obviously spoilers below....

This time round I think I've swapped my favourite from III to Rogue Nation but they are so consistent that I'd be shocked if they all rotate into the top spot sooner or later.

I've really started to love Ghost Protocol now. It's not that I didn't like it on release but just not as much and if you had asked me last week which was the weakest I'd have argued between it and 1 & 2. Now I'm really not sure I can make that argument.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the franchise is the most consistent film franchise in history. I mean there are longer running franchises that have more good/great films but they always have the odd duff one mixed in with them. In my view they need at least 6 films as good as the MI franchise to qualify.

I can see an argument for the Fast and the Furious but as much as I love them and I really do they are a notch below MI IMO.

Rocky shit the bed with that one we don't talk about.

Friday the 13th is a good shout providing the franchise is your cup of tea but Jason Goes To Hell screws that up because it's utter garbage.

Anyway back to MI. I've been mulling over best fight scene and whilst the Bathroom scene in Fallout is a very close number two I think my favourite is the Rogue Nation one when Ethan has to shimmy up the pole and tags with Ilsa.

Being a 80s/90s kid and having the BBFC butcher everything let alone allow stuff like either of these two scenes boggles my mind. I think it's the sense of jeopardy that makes me lean towards the Rogue Nation one but honestly the Fallout scene is so good that it I could easily flip flop on that any moment of any day.

The other thing I wanted to mention was the scene in Fallout where Ethan saves the random Police Women outside the garage. It's one my favourite character moments. It crystallised what an absolute hero Ethan is in one scene. What a guy.

Lastly I don't think this gets talked about enough. Now you might think I'm nuts but I think MI II is amazing. Its definitely too poe faced but it makes up for it for the cheesetastic action at the end. It's probably my favourite third act action sequences in any of them.

From the moment Ethan snatches the Virus and starts his trade mark run out of the bunker in classic John Woo style it just gives me all the smiles.

My Daughter actually turned to and said 'what a guy!' and you know what I'm totally with her. The only thing that derails some the action in MI II (providing you like John Woo's style) is the odd bit of nutty wire fu like when Ethan does a flash kick and what not.

• Awards Moderator

We watched them all over lockdown. I’d seen the first before, as well as from Ghost Protocol onwards; other half had only seen Fallout. Great way to spend a week’s worth of evenings.

My code is 6, 4, 5, 3, 1, 2. Particularly enjoyed Ghost Protocol more on a rewatch, and wasn’t expecting to like III as much as I did, but have to say neither of us had much fun at all with II. Couldn’t get on with that one.

Can’t wait for VII.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
Just now, HarmonicGenerator said:

We watched them all over lockdown. I’d seen the first before, as well as from Ghost Protocol onwards; other half had only seen Fallout.

My code is 6, 4, 5, 3, 1, 2. Particularly enjoyed Ghost Protocol more on a rewatch, and wasn’t expecting to like III as much as I did, but have to say neither of us had much fun at all with II. Couldn’t get on with that one.

Can’t wait for VII.

Yeah II is definitely the one that most don't like I find. I think if it weren't for the 3rd act onwards it would be a really tough watch. But like I said I REALLY like it from that point on and it makes me forget the bits that are a bit of a slog early on.

I remember loving MI2 at the time. I think it was the only one I had on DVD for a while so I absolutely rewatched the shit out of it for ages. I saw it again fairly recently and couldn't help but laugh at how absolutely ridiculous some of it is. But I still randomly listen to Limp Bizkit from time to time and yeah it's probably not cool but I still fucking love that song.

Certainly the further we get away from MI2 the easier it is to see how shit it is, which is rare. You'd normally be at this point in a franchise looking back and wishing it was as good as it used to be. Cruise's quality control on it has been fantastic really.

On the whole it's something I'm more than happy to watch all the movies and find something about each one to enjoy. I don't get to go to the cinema much these days but these are an absolute must-see big screen experience for me. And I always go with my mum who loves them too, so it's nice to have those rare trips together.