Mission: Impossible

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

You have to ask yourself one question and that's "Which one had the best theme song/tie in song?" and there is only one one clear answer. 

idisappear.gif.b2379945503c4ba9a8b8c13879f8f5fa.gif

FTFY

• Paid Members

Looking back, it's understandable why they went with John Woo for M:I 2.

He was arguably the hottest director in the world at that point. His first three Hollywood films had all done well critically and commercially, and those were off the back of six years where he made two A Better Tomorrow films, Hard Boiled, The Killer and Bullet in the Head in Hong Kong.

But Cruise and Woo's styles just didn't mix, plus it was a sub-genre that Woo wasn't really familiar with. He also wasn't helped by the weakest script of the series. The result was weird, but not in a good way. It completely derailed Woo for a few years and he's never really got back to close to his best. A shame, really.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Looking back, it's understandable why they went with John Woo for M:I 2.

He was arguably the hottest director in the world at that point. His first three Hollywood films had all done well critically and commercially, and those were off the back of six years where he made two A Better Tomorrow films, Hard Boiled, The Killer and Bullet in the Head in Hong Kong.

But Cruise and Woo's styles just didn't mix, plus it was a sub-genre that Woo wasn't really familiar with. He also wasn't helped by the weakest script of the series. The result was weird, but not in a good way. It completely derailed Woo for a few years and he's never really got back to close to his best. A shame, really.

Thandie Newton's recent Vulture article doesn't exactly flatter Woo as a boss (and even that's a mild roast compared to other directors).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I guess this was supposed to debut in front of Top Gun, but the new trailer has come out early

*It’s now gone. It had subtitles but the audio was English. Some screen grabs I took are in the spoilers. Hopefully the official version comes out later this week. 

Spoiler

5F744081-92D7-4208-9EAC-9B0D8D4D1A52.thumb.png.c79ed0d1d0c95f23843ff4b659b0d6c1.png
A75427E6-E5ED-46E7-BEEF-823D92208CD5.thumb.png.2e384a5f2935049df336c3d827c448ec.png

65391A54-D388-44D4-BD95-2654333B03B6.thumb.png.d1fb8f20dc6aa84937989b98fc0b3ab9.png

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• 5 months later...

I still have a free Paramount + trial so I thought it would be rude not to watch all the MI films, the last 3 I hadn't seen before.

Code for me goes 564132.

I absolutely loved Rogue Nation, it was an incredible roller coaster. Fallout is brilliant too but just edged out. 

1 is still stupid, but in a good way (plot still doesn't make sense), 3 has an amazing villain, but 2 is the drizzling shits (best theme tune though innit)

Cavills tache. Now I know what you've all been on about :) What a sexy bastard.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I still have a free Paramount + trial so I thought it would be rude not to watch all the MI films, the last 3 I hadn't seen before.

Code for me goes 564132.

Can't disagree with that at all. 5 and 6 are interchangeable for me but the rest are in their right places. I still think 1 might be the most violent PG film ever made, it's great.

Mrs Look has never seen any of the MI films, apart from maybe 1 back in the day.

If she just watches the last two that would bring her up to speed enough for the next one right?  There’s no way she’s watching all of them.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Saw Dead Reckoning Part 1 last night. It’s great. That almost goes without saying, but it is. Strong story, and a threat that feels really relevant at the moment. Hayley Atwell is a highlight. There’s a decision with a major character that I wasn’t on board with, but the final action set piece is so fantastic it nearly made me forget about that. I think there was about 15 minutes where I just didn’t stop gasping. 

I think Rogue Nation and Fallout are still the tops of my Mission ranking, but the last act of this one particularly probably puts it above Ghost Protocol for me.