Mission: Impossible

Devon Malcolm

The most iconic scene from the first film blatantly rips off The Wrong Trousers (which deservedly won more Oscars and was nominated for fewer Razzies).

Apart from that, the only thing I know about the series is that Simon Pegg has somehow got himself involved in the recent ones, because I've seen the trailers which give away all the least bad bits anyway.

Two friends of mine went to see the latest instalment today. You couldn't have paid me to join them.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

The most iconic scene from the first film blatantly rips off The Wrong Trousers (which deservedly won more Oscars and was nominated for fewer Razzies).

Apart from that, the only thing I know about the series is that Simon Pegg has somehow got himself involved in the recent ones, because I've seen the trailers which give away all the least bad bits anyway.

Two friends of mine went to see the latest instalment today. You couldn't have paid me to join them.

so you have seen one film in a series and know the rest are shit based on that?

I am not a fan of Tom Cruise the person (All that Scientology nonsense), but he has been on fire film wise for a while now. Edge of Tomorrow especially. But this series seems to be a rare one where each film has either been better or equally as good since Mission Impossible 2

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Well fuck off out of a Mission: Impossible thread and go and post in something you are interested in then.

56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well fuck off out of a Mission: Impossible thread and go and post in something you are interested in then.

Fair point. I miss a lot of the film discussion because it's all in a megathread, so thanks for separating it out, but... why start with this particular franchise? I really don't see how you and Keith can turn your noses up at Marvel films but sing the praises of a mindless series of stunts just because the characters aren't from comic books. It's an inconsistent, selective kind of snobbery.

EDIT: Because I'm a pedant even against myself, I'm compelled to add that the above isn't technically true. But you get the idea.

Edited by Fog Dude

I sing the praises BECAUSE they're a mindless series of stunts and because they aren't super heroes (I have no issue with comic books, I don't like super hero books or films) there is a chance of peril and danger.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Fog Dude said:

Fair point. I miss a lot of the film discussion because it's all in a megathread, so thanks for separating it out, but... why start with this particular franchise? I really don't see how you and Keith can turn your noses up at Marvel films but sing the praises of a mindless series of stunts just because the characters aren't from comic books. It's an inconsistent, selective kind of snobbery.

I don't have to explain myself to you and I'm not going to. Go back to your predictions thread.

I love the Mission Impossible films. They're up there with the Fast and Furious franchise for something that I'll always revert to watching if I've got a couple of hours to kill and can't decide what else I fancy. 

I've got a real soft spot for 2 because I went to see it at the cinema on my first ever date. It's also got the awesome Metallica song "I Disappear" over the end credits and there's that bit where Tom Cruise says "DAMN YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL". I've only ever seen 3 once and I don't remember much about it. It seems to be the one that's never on TV or on Netflix for some reason. The last two were fantastic though, that prison escape scene from Ghost Protocol is wonderful.

Give this a look. Not sure if anybody on here watches Honest Trailers, this is one of my favourites of theirs.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I love the Mission Impossible films. They're up there with the Fast and Furious franchise for something that I'll always revert to watching if I've got a couple of hours to kill and can't decide what else I fancy. 

I've got a real soft spot for 2 because I went to see it at the cinema on my first ever date. It's also got the awesome Metallica song "I Disappear" over the end credits and there's that bit where Tom Cruise says "DAMN YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL". I've only ever seen 3 once and I don't remember much about it. It seems to be the one that's never on TV or on Netflix for some reason.

Sky Movies currently have one of their channels dedicated to Tom cruise. MI:2 was on a number of times. Which one is it where Ethan has awoken from being drugged then proceeds to drive a BMW through , I think, Morocco?

• Awards Moderator

I saw the first MI film at the time, and I don't know if I've seen it since, so I don't remember much (I must have been about 8 when I saw it).

I've seen the fourth one (the Brad Bird one) which I quite enjoyed.

I haven't seen any of the others. I'd like to. Without having to buy a boxset, where's the best place to find them? I was sure Netflix had them all on but they must have taken them off for the new one coming out in cinemas?