Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Moderators
4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Desperately need a striker. You don't get promoted depending only on a solid defence and 1-0 wins.

That disallowed goal for a "foul" on the goalkeeper was bollocks though.

Anyway, I've had a pint now so here's the problem with Wrexham AFC.

During the early 10's there where three big names in Welsh coaching. Dutch Ray, Osian Roberts, and Carl Darlington. Dutch Ray and Osian went to work with Gary Speed and make the exciting young Welsh International team what it is (Until Coleman got in instead of Dutch Ray but that's neither here nor there). Whereas Carl Darlington became the man who coaches the coaches. Thierry Henry, Vieira, pretty much anybody who used to play recently and has an "A" badge was taught by Carl Darlington as it's cheaper and easier to get them through the FAW and he gives the lessons.

He has a negative view on football, but gets us decent names who've just done coaching badges with the FAW but have to play to him. He's more powerful than the manager here. He coaches us once a week but gets to inform the board which exciting young manager will be stolen this year after we employ them. We've had three. THREE! Three managers this season. Sam Ricketts, currently Bryan Hughes, and in between them Graham Barrow who was given the job when he didn't even want it as Dennis Lawrence changed his mind about leaving Trinidad and Tobago and there was no-one else and so Barrow quit after 6 weeks. It's amazing we've even made the playoffs. Our top scorer is our captain Shaun Pearson. Centre Half. 7 goals. We have 5 strikers on 6 but they never get a run in the team to build fluency.

And now we;ve developers talking to the University who own the ground (The oldest international ground in the world) about flats on the old Kop. And we set a record tonight, the record for spending the most seasons in the conference,

I fucking hate Wrexham,

Buying my season ticket again next week.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
6 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

He has a negative view on football, but gets us decent names who've just done coaching badges with the FAW but have to play to him. He's more powerful than the manager here. He coaches us once a week but gets to inform the board which exciting young manager will be stolen this year after we employ them.

I’m genuinely surprised to hear that as Carl Darlington was, as you know, heavily involved with TNS for many years and really set up their playing style which is to pass the ball to death.

They even do it in the Champions League qualifiers against much more established sides, which I don’t think always does them a favour.

Connah’s Quay gave then a bit of a challenge this year but you’d need a neck brace after a few weeks of watching Andy Morison’s (ironically of Man City fame) hard working hoofers.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Plane banner wankers need their hard drives looking at.

Yeah you're right about it becoming a positive though.  It reminds me of something I find funny/bizarre in fandom and that's when a footballer or someone specifically connected to a club has a tragedy happen.  They send their best wishes etc and state which club they support.  Because that makes all the difference, doesn't it, well done on not being a massive twat to a grieving family because your rival has had a player die. I'm starting to apply it to everything in life, such as Facebook.

(Facebook friend) "Just to let you know Phil has been taken back into hospital".  

(Me) "Sorry to hear that, best wishes from a Coventry City fan"

With you on all of this. To the point I'm nearly forgiving that comment about Greece.

We came out of Derby a few years ago having won 1-0. I fucking hate losing, especially at home. The number of people who seemed more bothered that Forest had lost than Derby had sickened me. I'm glad we don't have a particular rival. We can just hate everyone.

On the "from a so-and-so fan", I think Liverpool fans get a bad rep for that. Everyone does it, the fucking weirdos, but if a Liverpool fan does it someone will always reply "have to make it about Liverpool".

33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

We came out of Derby a few years ago having won 1-0. I fucking hate losing, especially at home. The number of people who seemed more bothered that Forest had lost than Derby had sickened me. I'm glad we don't have a particular rival. We can just hate everyone.

Absolutely agree Rick, that kind of thing sickens me to the core.

In solidarity, a Motherwell fan.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Is there any kind of rivalry with Grimsby at all, Rick?

Nah. Same as Scunthorpe who are geographically close. We hardly ever play them. There were a few scraps in the 80s but there were every week.

• Paid Members

The big rivalries for Grimsby are Lincoln and Scunthorpe. It must be a pain for the codheads to see Lincoln doing so well. Rick is right, Hull operate at a higher level than the 3 Lincolnshire clubs. Lincoln are on a bit of a surge though, so perhaps there will soon be an Imps v Tigers rivalry. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The big rivalries for Grimsby are Lincoln and Scunthorpe. It must be a pain for the codheads to see Lincoln doing so well. Rick is right, Hull operate at a higher level than the 3 Lincolnshire clubs. Lincoln are on a bit of a surge though, so perhaps there will soon be an Imps v Tigers rivalry. 

I saw this in the "Rivalries" section of their Wiki. rick, what's your perspective? Always interested in this sort of thing.

According to a 2003 poll, Hull City fans consider their main rival to be Yorkshire neighbours Leeds United.[137]

The club also has a traditional rivalry with Sheffield United.[138] In 1984, Sheffield United won promotion at Hull City's expense with the teams level on points and goal difference and separated only by goals scored,[139] with 33 of United's goals scored by former Hull City striker Keith Edwards. City's final game of the season against Burnley had been rescheduled due to bad weather and took place after their promotion rivals had finished their campaign; Hull went into the game knowing that a three-goal victory would mean promotion, but in front of a crowd which included a number of United fans could manage only a 2–0 win, ensuring that United went up instead.[140][141]

Distant rivals include teams from across the Humber Estuary in Lincolnshire, Scunthorpe United and Grimsby Town.[137] With Scunthorpe's promotion from League One, the 2007–08 Championship season saw the return of a "Humber Derby".[142] Additionally, Lincoln City and non-league York City are said to consider Hull amongst their rivals.[137]

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Unless there is a miracle tomorrow, Scunny are going down and we will have two games against Grimsby next season.

I will be staying away on those days.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I saw this in the "Rivalries" section of their Wiki. rick, what's your perspective? Always interested in this sort of thing.

There are rivalries with both. The article mentions the 1984 Burnley game which is a fascinating story in itself but most of our fans are too young to remember that. Leeds is hated just for being Leeds and also back in the 90s when we were struggling at the bottom of the league, the Hull Whites seemed to outnumber City fans. That's a rugby rivalry too. Of late, we hate Sheffield Wednesday because of their arrogance over the 2016 play-off final where they seemed to think whoever sold the most tickets should go up and gave us stick despite our ownership being the reason for the big drop off in attendances. It's all quite petty though and it's not particularly mutual. Leeds laughably think they are rivals with Man Utd and the Sheffield clubs obviously rival each other.

The Grimsby/Scunny/Lincoln thing is the same. None of them like us and we get a bit of aggro from them but they're all bigger rivals with each other than us. Plus we don't give a shit about them.

You’re a great poster Rick, but that is ridiculously arrogant. You did give a shit about us (Scunthorpe) when we were both in the bottom division for years! You’re generally considered our biggest rival by younger fans as we’ve hardly played Grimsby in the last 20 years. Though as @dopper says that will change next season. 

Archived