If you could bring back a TV show

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

If you had the ability to bring back one TV show from any time period, what would it be? Assuming that the original actors/presenters have carked it, who would you replace them with and why? 

I have a pretty poor taste in television, so no 'critically acclaimed' this and 'not presented by a racist' that for me. I'd be bringing back Big Break, staple of my childhood. Unlike other similar game shows that I think would be atrocious if resurrected (Bullseye, Supermarket Sweep), I get the inexplicable feeling that Big Break would be OK. 

Largely, this is because I'd bin Jim Davidson, allowing him to spend more time being a racist on Twitter. In his place, I would call up Johnny Vegas, who almost everyone hates other than me.  John Virgo is still going, so I'd keep him as co-presenter for a few years. Assuming divine intervention, or the BBC retaining the show for more than 3 episodes due to tax purposes,  I would eventually replace Virgo with Ronnie O'Sullivan, who I reckon would be brilliant value if he managed to lay off the gear post-retirement. 

It's not exactly like bringing back Breaking Bad, but I know I would get infinitely more enjoyment from this than anything good. 

What would your choice be? Who would be involved and why? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as we're not allowed to bring people back from the dead* I'd have to bring back Busmans Holiday, the greatest job based quiz that's ever been on the air. Lets assume that Sarah Kennedy is dead and Elton Welsby is busy doing football commentary when the new series is being filmed and get Richard Madeley in as the host. Free from the shackles of Judy he can really let his personality come to the fore and his years of interviewing people from all walks of life will mean he has at least a basic working knowledge of most of the occupations that the teams will come from meaning he'll be able to create some classic quiz show bantz with the contestants, making them feel at ease and thus able to really let their knowledge of their own jobs. As previous the winners will get to go on holiday to an exotic country where they will be forced to do their job but in a foreign country, but I feel this would be improved by having Madeley accompany the teams doing the jobs with them and every week  could have a little travelogue of Richards exploits from his trip with the previous weeks winners - obviously Richard would be incompetent at all of these jobs as he's neither a trained mechanic (Saudi Arabia)  a competent plumber (Moscow)   or a qualified firefighter (Iraq)so each weeks exploits would end up with some hilarious consequences, and possible risks to public health, but they're foreigners so it's all just good fun.

* if we were allowed to bring back the dead I'd bring back Franks Fantastic Shed Show solely to bring back the genius of Frank Sidebottom

• Paid Members

Fantasy Football League for me, just to see if it could still work like it did back in the 90's!

Oh, and agree with Gus. I'd also love to see a modernised Big Break back on the box....

• Paid Members

You see part of me would love Fantasy Football League to come back, but I wouldn't trust any TV producers out there to stop it from becoming TOP BANTZ like League of Their Own and Soccer AM are.

I was going to suggest bringing back Sister Sister, but apparently they already have a reality show out now so that'd ruin and suspense of disbelief for any return of the original format. In my version, shit has gone to pot over the years. Tamera is battling a crack addiction, whereas Tia has done aright for herself, living out in the burbs and finds it a massive chore to dig her sister out of trouble all the time. Tia's 2 kids are straight a-graders, whereas Tamera's 8 kids from various relationships are horrible little shits. Roger is still trying to get his end away to no avail, and is often told to go home- but this time via a restraining order. Lisa is now a minor TV celebrity medium and Ray has shaved his moustache off.

But seeing as that can't happen, I'll just bring back Clarissa Explains It All instead.

11 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You see part of me would love Fantasy Football League to come back, but I wouldn't trust any TV producers out there to stop it from becoming TOP BANTZ like League of Their Own and Soccer AM are

I think it could be argued well that FFL paved the way for those shows.  Still, they can't be held responsible for the dreck that followed any more than Faith No More can be blamed for Nu Metal.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think it could be argued well that FFL paved the way for those shows.  Still, they can't be held responsible for the dreck that followed any more than Faith No More can be blamed for Nu Metal.

Yeah, I agree with you. Some shitty producers have watched FFL, thought 'Yeah let's do something like that!' and completely missed everything that made FFL good. For example, genuinely funny comedians as presenters and decent guests, rather than calling in the same old boring cunts that have a new book coming out.

• Paid Members

Bring back Rumble. Leslie Joseph can return as Ma Pecs, chuck in some newer UK talent, have them all trying to get a TV deal to make it more up to date. Set it in Norwich. Have Alex Shane play himself (He'll turn up anyway if he thinks it'll get on TV, might as well give him a part)

39 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah, I agree with you. Some shitty producers have watched FFL, thought 'Yeah let's do something like that!' and completely missed everything that made FFL good. For example, genuinely funny comedians as presenters and decent guests, rather than calling in the same old boring cunts that have a new book coming out.

Plus, FFL was an unabashed show made by football fans for football fans, no crossover into the realm of popular entertainment.

Would love Dream Team to come back. Loved the show and given how popular football is now am surprised there isn't anything like it around. My only concern is in this day and age they would probably try turn it into The Only Way Is Essex with its format and reality TV with dickheads on it (although that's probably what the modern footballer is). 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

As long as I can climb up the ladder into Melisaa Joan Hart's heart. 

I've watched way too many episodes of her recent show with the male nanny and the kids that aren't hers due to childhood crush reasons. It's shite.

Archived